why badminton is "poor" to tennis

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by badplayer2004, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

I have not qualms with the other statements, but IMHO imports of talent does have a significant positive impact. Since Mia joined the Netherlands National squad, her team members have both jumped up in ranking (about 10 places...not sure). That can't neither be coincidence nor myopic shortermism.
    jl

2. ao314

ao314 Regular Member

Student
    Lack of good commentators/presenters. Cars going round in circles or 22 men chasing after a ball seems exciting with good enough commentators.

3. StrikerCase

StrikerCase Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer, Researcher
    Badminton Price competiton

I agree with you, There is no comptition on badminton racquet manufacture , since 85 % of market money went to Yonex , What do you think other Badminton manufacture have enought money to pay for the event?:crying: , If you own 85% of market do you wnatto sepnd the money? you already know you own it?:mad:

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I like to give u guys a reflective view point.

Badminton is a modified game from india/china/greek(depend how far u go back). It was then brought back to england and played at a lawn party held by Duke of Beaufort at his country place, Badminton, in 1873, and it became known as "the Badminton game" among various guests who introduced it to other friends. Badminton was played by the rich people.

Fast forwarding a bit, american players were among the world's best until the late 1960s. Perhaps the greatest of all was Judy Devlin Hashman, a native of Manitoba. She won more than 50 major championships from 1954 through 1967, including 12 U. S. national titles and 10 All-England championships
    Again it show badminton isn't a poor man sport.

Fast forwarding a bit more, badminton is the #1 sport for the richest man in the world(sultan of brunei, u should see his badminton courts) and some famous royalties like many saudi princes & prince andrew are some i can recall. And recently, we hear that jet li, jackie chan, paul newton, etc play badminton.

yes, tennis has higher prizes but players behind badminton are very rich too and they didnt got rich from playing badminton either. They play it becoz they prefer badminton :)

5. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    i have absolutely no idea where u get ur information XD but i support that.