Smash Balls

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Interestingly, a friend of mine was playing mens doubles game with a stranger. We did not test what kind of level he was, but since that night we only had 3 people in our group, we took our chances.

I am an advanced level player, while my partner is more of an intermediate+ level.

My friend on the opposing side is of intermediate level playing with the newcomer.

Ultimately my friend paid the price...

During the game, I did a drive follow up after my friend serve. The shuttle was pushed near the end line.
    But there was a miscommunication, and my friend and the newcomer both went for the shuttle.

The newcomer attempted to do a large side swing to drive back the bird, but at the end of his huge "arm" swing stroke, the racket head landed on my friend's testicles (balls)...

He immediately collapsed onto the floor and moaning in pain...

I wonder if his balls are okay?

lol

I had a similar problem a few years ago which I played with a stranger as my partner as we were lacking people. And again, due to miscommunication, the following happened:

But instead of getting hit on the testicles, my stranger friend SMASHED my HEAD and missed the shuttle.

I had minor concussion for about a week, with headaches almost everyday for that week. Minor internal bleeding on my head, but recovered fine.

The racket my friend got hit on his balls was a quite head heavy Voltric Z-Force 2012 Olympic Ltd. (Not sure if it 3U or 4U though) but seems like it hurts.

I wonder if he was hit on the balls with a more flexible shaft racket and light head balance, could it have less painful?

lol... Anyways, anyone else have sustained injuries, especially racket injury due a miscommunication during a doubles game?

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    This....post is Amaz-balls!

Fortunately the only incident i had was when I was covering the forecourt on the offensive and my partner did a jump smash from the back court and it hit me right on the back near the shoulder blade. I had a golf ball sized welt. I couldn't sleep on my back for the first 2 nights and had to sleep on my side.

A less serious but more embarrassing injury was when we were in the same offensive setup and my partner hit a flat drive into the side of my neck (yes it was my fault for looking back partially). I had a circular bruise that resembled a hickey. :p

3. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

Well....i've had some similar accidents :p

1. My partner hit the back of my hand with a BS10 (pretty bad)

2. I hit my own balls after a smash.....while letting the racket follow through.........(embarrassing) Everybody in the match started crackin up including me :p

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^ 2. I did that to myself once or twice also on the follow thru... almost felt nauseated... but didn't show it, pretended nothing happened... but dang did it sting!

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

BC always seems to cover the most burning issues and thought- provoking topics in badminton today. ;-)

Can't add any similar badminton story. But, oh, the stories from hockey goaltending days.... :-(

6. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

Next time we need to consider wearing groin-guards... imagine playing baddie all decked out like an NFL player!

7. nilavu

nilavu Regular Member

Regular & Boring
    Me too..particularly when you are wearing a sweaty shorts..no words..literally for ~5 seconds..

8. orangenetic

Probs the most embarrassing thing to do while playing badminton....

Still got me lots of points :p The opponents would crack up so hard that they couldn't even return clears xD

9. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

That must have hurt so much! I wonder if it were in official tournament, would the referee stop the match, call out the medic, to medical check up on the balls outside the court with exclusive coverage from tv camera, and then.... probably ask the opponent if they were willing to give up 1 point away for the injured opponent.

10. orangenetic

Ooooohhh lemme guess

Did the hockey puck "puck" you up in the nuts?

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    sometimes I hitted my own finger, or the worst, hitted my own thigh and it changed colour to blue after a follow through (thankfully it it not my crotch lol..)

my eyes got hit by shuttlecock too. because of my partner (yes, not because of the opponent).

12. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

You must've looked behind like some ppl, including me...sigh!

Fortunately, I moved fast enough for the birdie to just hit the socket area giving me a purplish blue eyebag for wks...
    ( Y.Y)

13. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

Actually thinking back something similar did happen to me at the last session.

My wife did a short clear from the back and the opponent did a net kill, which I tried to intercept since I was in front. The shuttle was placed right at the side of my head. Raise my racket to try to return, missed the shuttle but hit my head. Luckily it wasn't too hard!

14. linhrom

linhrom Regular Member

so sorry to hear about the injuries. Though i couldnt stop laughing >.< too hilarious. I'm sure i wouldnt be able to play if i were there

Anyway, im sure many of us hitting our other hand (fingers) by a follow through. Its meant to happen time to time i guess.

I did have a similar accident playing with somebody new. I was at the back court, my parter was near the T area. The opponent did a short lift. My parter backed up shouted "MINE!" and did a smash immediately afterward. It was too fast and the best i could do was to turn my body and got hit below the eye/ at the cheek bone area. It was blue/purple for a couple of days. Luckily i ducked my eyes. Could have been much worst i reckon.

15. ah tat

ah tat Regular Member

student
    cai yun gt smashed in the balls by flandy b4 :p

[video=youtube;WIo71KWlfCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIo71KWlfCo[/video]

16. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Lol so there are some members on BC who also got smash balls before... Lol

That MUST have hurt especially since most rackets are stiff carbon fiber rackets...

Fortunately I have not hit my balls yet, but I will be cautious. How manly do you have to be to pretend nothing happened after a ball smash. I would have been on the floor screaming in pain and ask the opponent if they can throw the match as let me win LOL joking

17. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Obviously you haven't had a chance to hit yours before, but as nilavu said above... no words for a few seconds. Not even the strength to utter a simple moan... :(

18. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

[MENTION=5115]ah tat[/MENTION]: How long have you kept that clip filed away in your memory bank, waiting for this just this type of thread to come along? :confused:

Or would just anyone get that result on a Google search for "Cai Yun sings soprano"? ;)