Is serving an advantage in badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by *___*, Aug 18, 2014.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

But that's just circular reasoning. You win the point, so you serve. The more points you win, the more you serve.

I'm not sure what level of doubles you play in, but in the high intermediate MD that we play in, the server always feels more pressure than the receiver. And that goes the same for advanced and pro level.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

However, having said that, the serve is the one and only shot that you have complete control over. So, if you practice enough to get an excellent serve, then you're already more than half way to winning the game.

I can say this because over the past half a year I've been practicing only serves about 2-3 hrs a week, and I can happily report that more than 90% of the time, my serves cannot be attacked easily by my opponents even when they toe the line.

#62 visor, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

So, in conclusion, really the question of the thread should really be:
    is the serve important in badminton.

And the answer is obviously a resounding yes.

4. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Service is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage in Badminton

My point is, irrespective of whether you feel comfortable or nervous while serving, if you want to win at any level, you will have to serve more than your opponent.

If you want to win, simply come out of serving phobia. Practice, work hard, gain control, gain confidence and be ready to serve more to win. Yea, your opponent would have also practiced and worked hard to counter your service. He is also playing to win.

Service is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage in Badminton..... But to win you have to serve more than your opponent. Hence, just brace up to serve more and serve better.

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I think you miss the point. I will try to clearify...

1. This is not only a mathematical fact, this is even trivial...

2. No need to look it up. It's obvious. If you want to analyse matches, go to a given match on tournamentsoftware.com and you find graphics for every game there...

3. That's just plain wrong! If you serve in elite men's doubles, you lose the point in roughly 2 thirds of cases and win only in 1 third of cases! THIS is a fact. Obv, if you win 40% of his serves and your opponent wins 30% of your serves, you are a better server/player and win the game! But still, it's a disadvantage to serve! Serving is important, no question about that!
    In almost all close matches I've checked, even the winner of the match lost more than 50% of serves!! But they were able to win even more on opponent's serves!
    For further discussions, please check the rest of the thread, it has been thoroughly discussed.

Apart from that: Have you ever served against an elite player (say Top100 in BWF ranking)?
    I can promise you that it's a lot harder to withstand the pressure of this guy returning as compared to returning their serves. Returning is so much more aggressive in badminton...

6. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    There you are !!! Super like !!!! :)

7. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    Come on. At any level of play, to win a game, you will have to serve more than your opponent. If serving is thought to be an disadvantage then how you can win ? You will have to serve more and turn serving to your advantage, for that, practice hard, gain control and confidence to serve any opponent.
    There is no way you can win by serving less.

8. |_Footwork_|

You don't get it...

Of course you have to serve more to win!
    But that doesn't mean that it's an advantage to serve. In fact, it isn't!

How can you win? You have to make serving a smaller disadvantage and win more serves than your opponent does on his serve! Still, you will win less points on your serve than you win, therefore it's still a disadvantage...

Finally got it?

Theoretically speaking: If a match was played were only team A serves (and both are equally good), the returning side (team B) would always win in mens doubles! And if in the next games team B was to serve ALWAYS, team A would win. Simple as that.

9. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Could not resist to say a few words even though I believe this thread is meaningless. I have yet to play an opponent or opponents who do not want to serve, like it or not.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

agree

and to extend this even further, if no flick serves were allowed, then the result will be even more obvious... the servers will get creamed

#70 visor, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  11. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    I will counter point by point. Thanks

#71 vkokamthankar, Nov 27, 2014
  12. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    I have already said, Service in Badminton is neither an advantage nor a disadvantage. But if you think it is a disadvantage and if you have to win then convert disadvantage to advantage by bringing in control in your service by practice and hard-work.

13. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    Well think of service as advantage when you are serving and think returning as advantage when opponent is serving.

14. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    Well such system and scoring is there in Tennis where serving is big advantage and that is why serving changes in each game to offer equal and fair advantage to opposing players. Ultimately there is a tie breaker and player slightly better in serving / returning wins.

Since there is no such advantage or disadvantage in serving in Badminton, a different system of play and scoring is adopted and to my knowledge, no one is claiming it to be favorable or unfavorable to a particular side.

15. |_Footwork_|

You mix things up!
    Fact is: Serving is a disadvantage. There is no way to deny it.

But you are right: You have to work hard on your service. But there is no way you turn it to an advantage. You just minimise the disadvantage...;-)

16. |_Footwork_|

I'm no schizo...

17. |_Footwork_|

Again, you mix things up.

And by the way: Every advanced player knows that serving is a disadvantage. But that's just the way the scoring system is. You have to cope with it.

(for example: it's the same in volleyball. Returning is a HUGE advantage, the change-of-serve-system is the same as in badminton...)

18. vkokamthankar

Employed in a company
    If serving is such a big disadvantage then how come player or side serving more wins a game ? There is no disadvantage.

19. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

it comes because the winner is better and is able to overcome the small disadvantage! dude! whats so tough about it to understand

there is a winner in a tennis match too right? he must score on opponent serve too if he wants to win the match!

#79 OhSearsTower, Nov 27, 2014
  20. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    you serve because you win (the last point), you don't win because you serve.

try playing a game with tennis rules. unlike tennis, the server will not usually win.