most difficult shot to master

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Aug 23, 2007.

?

most difficult shot to master

1. clear

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. lift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. drop

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. smash

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. straight net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. crosscourt net

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Where's the choice for returning a flick serve after you've already rushed forward, backhand, doing the splits? YYS style.

2. oble89

oble89 Regular Member

Crosscourt net if I have to pick from the poll options.

Beyond the poll choices, I feel that the backhand drop shot and backhand crosscourt clear are much tougher to master.

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

If I include shots outside of the poll then I can think of a few which are really tough.

Reverse backhand slice drop - this has to be one of the most difficult and I've seen LCW and LD do it. Although there are probably many more pros that can do it, you have to be pretty confident to use it in a match.

Jumping backhand smash - I've only seen Taufik and Zhao Jianhua do this and hit winners from at least the mid court position.

Net cord return (returning a dead drop from a net shot) - this is my favourite shot to play simply because most clubs players that I play with can't believe that I can return these, but I learnt from watching the pros do it and practicing. I quite regularly return these but to master it, it has to be a perfect return otherwise the opponent can kill it if they're ready for it which is extremely tough and needs a bit of luck.

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think the most difficult shot is actually a drive.

maybe it seems simple, but actually it means alot of things. too low and you hit the net, too high and powerfull and you will be killed in an instant. how to get the drive at the right height and make it drop after passing the net. and then there's the placing.

I really appreciate drives more because their importance in tactical play. they can force opponents to move quickly and be precise in their return.

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    As far as for basic technique, 2 type of hit that seems to always be a trouble some especially for beginners from my observation when i coach that is performing a quality straight net and performing a quality length and height for clear.

This is due to the fact that the approach when addressing the birdie is late and the strength generated from the swing is still less powerful.

As far for the intermediate and advance, maintaining consistently the quality for such skills seems to be at certain hiccups:

- backhand and forehand cross court net
    - backhand cross court clear
    - forehand cross court slice
    - Around the head straight clear and smash

Above issue will certainly be more less effective if you don't have a BALANCE footwork to position your body thus vision well to execute such hit.

SS

6. Willy-Wonka

Willy-Wonka Regular Member

My backhand net tends to go high and ended up getting killed, or too low and into the net.

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Importantly improve more on your swinging technique to allow you to familiarize where is the
    - correct hitting height
    - correct racket frame direction
    - correct racket - birdie contact point

Improve also as well your forearm and wrist strength. Performing a effective backhand is not an easy type of shot especially for those who is struggling to know how to do one. Even advanced level player can produce a loose backhand hit that end up like as what you said while playing. Search here in BC thread about backhand issue for further info.

8. Willy-Wonka

Willy-Wonka Regular Member

Thanks Shooting Stroke. I'm new here and have not explored the older threads yet. Certainly will do as you suggested. There's certainly a long road ahead for my backhand. Thanks for the tips!

9. yangwenli

yangwenli Regular Member

wow poll result kinda shock me. Smash and drop are the easiest and especially Smash is so overrated. Everybody knows no matter how hard your smash is it can be easily defense, as long as the receiver is calm and ready. I would say the hardest are some people think a lot less but extremely important: CLEAR. It may sounds like the most basic shot but many many people cannot clear accurately right on the back lines, where you can move your opponent away as far as you can to create spaces.

However I voted DRIVE because it can get very fast very quickly and require alot of concentration and training.

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Blind folded serve return standing the wrong direction

11. djkenishii

djkenishii Regular Member

asd
    any back hand shot is difficult..if u are caught off angle, that is the worst..but if i have to chose one, back hand cross court drop shot is the most difficult shot ever.

12. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Yeah agreed, all backhand shots are difficult to master but once you have mastered you will find joy and added confident in your game. For me backhand drop and backhand smash is the most difficult, it need years of practice to perfect those shots.

13. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

+1 You got a good point there. :)

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Once you get older in age and body like some of us here and can't get to the backhand court in time for the round the head forehand, you'll be glad you learned and perfected your backhand shots...

#694 visor, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  15. kintenka

kintenka Regular Member

professional player
    The question was about the most difficult shot to MASTER, and if you master the disguise of a dropshot, no matter backhand or forehand, you will always get a weak return, if there even is one. there is no possibility to attack a well played dropshot.

16. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

Is a delicate net shot be considered as an attack? Haha!

17. kintenka

kintenka Regular Member

professional player
    Well, if the drop shot was perfect in the first place, their is little to no possibility to return the netshot in attacking fashion. However a neutral one would be possible.

18. kamalbensra

kamalbensra Regular Member

Fully agreed

19. CourtGod

CourtGod Regular Member

Every backhand shot I attempt is unbelievable bad haha..

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually all the shots are equally difficult if you want to master them to perfection. For exemple the clear, a quite simple shot, becomes difficult if 1) you want to disguise your shot and 2) you are late, specially on the around the head position.