Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

First off...those umpires are unpaid? This simply cannot be true. :eek:

Secondly, despite the unsportmanship behavior, were they right about the serve? The fact that no one has complained yet or it's not called doesn't make an illegal serve legal.

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    From the slow motion views. I personally cannot see how it's a fault. I see a single fluid motion. Racket isn't above the waist when striking the shuttle. Nor is it pointed in an upward direction. Besides Lee has always had a somewhat unique service. They way he slices the shuttle on impact to get such a low tight serve is quite something. I've tried replicating it before but never could without either committing a service error or having it fall short. But I've narrowed it down to the reason being height. It just doesn't work for shorter folk.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Well you can see 21mins 18 secs to 22minutes all you need to know really. Danes were complaining about how can he make it spin like that it is illegal not that it was too high or pointing upward. But you can see from the footage, he hits cork first and one stroke so they were not right about that however...
    (see below)

wayyy illegal on this count unless he had ribs surgically removed(see image whole shuttle supposed to be below bottom rib). This though is besides the point as it was not what they were arguing because they both serve from that height too.

lyd serve.PNG

4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sure I can concede that. But considering the fact that service judges aren't faulting anyone in the circuit for going that high in proportion to their heights ai don't think of it as an issue. His partner is way worse anyway lol. But it doesn't change the fact that both danes have as usual shown the world a textbook example of how to be immature and unprofessional.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Agree with everything.

I was mentioning minutes in post above but forgot link sorry.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOxNOa-yZJ4
    24mins 45secs on shows the service and clearer audio of their complaints with the serve. LYD hits the base and upon the shuttle flipping round he cuts the feather making the shuttle go crazy. This has to be a relatively new thing from LYD?? I certainly haven't seen this from him before. The cork is pointing straight down when Mogensen returns it, pretty impressive.

#25 craigandy, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Perhaps but it cannot be considered a double hit if it's all done in 1 motion and stroke if I recall the rules correctly. But there's no such rule specific to the service situation so I default to the rules on faults instead.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's a good job Boe doesn't serve high, isn't it...

In many sports you get ejected for touching an official - this is on camera.

8. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    Well,even if the serve was illegal,they made a complaint and it was overruled; anything after that should have been raised to BWF by the badminton authority of Denmark,with relevant proofs.

The major issue here are the racist comments. Touching an official AND making derogatory racist comments? That's a 6 month ban atleast.

One of the things makes a Peter Gade a true great is his racial tolerance. This is a very bad example,how is it any different from,say,disputing a serve falling short or a racket double touch? True greats like cai/fu and ahsan/setiawan have been playing against LYD for years,and havent been complaining.

9. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

If this is what LYD is doing that I would argue that Boe has a good point. The S Serve was banned for this reason as well as it made the shuttle next to impossible to address properly.

In my opinion, if LYD is deliberately causing the shuttle to spin uncontrollably then that is poor form and not in the spirit of the game. As a LYD fan I am quite disappointed in LYD if this is the case.

Of course - Boe's actions after the match should be punished and are unjustified.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

That is NOT an S serve... where the shuttle feathers are struck first. It is because of the S serve that BWF introduced the rule that the cork must be struck first during the serve.

LYD's serve is just a normal serve. The cork is struck first. But he overcuts it with a jabbing motion, causing the shuttle to wobble. For someone tall enough, it's an excellent serve. The only problem with it is it's difficult to be consistent and accurate with it, but LYD seems to have mastered it well over the past year that I've been watching him play.

11. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

I understand that it is not an S serve. My point is that it has a similar effect as the S serve. Admittedly, the effect is not as large.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Two points to discuss here,

If LYD hit the cork first and the shuttle turned on itself whilst flying over the net, that is an excellent serve and perfectly legal. A shuttle will naturally spin and tumble after many shots with the cork hit first - a tumble net shot is a very obvious example.

Boe should not definitely have touched the official. BWF's reaction is going to be very interesting because the incident was still in the court arena (although after the match). I think the majority of us are in agreement here (and on his choice of words). This is irrespective of whether the serve was legal or illegal.

#32 Cheung, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    One thing I'm sure of is that LYD definitely hits the cork first.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Slow motion any doubles serve with the cork hit first - I can assure you every shuttle will turn and flip after leaving the racquet! If it turns at or after the position of crossing the net, why should that be illegal?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

It's illegal because Boe can't return it and feels it must be.

16. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

The serve is definitely legal. However, I would question as to whether it should be legal.

I guess it would depend on how much of a real advantage it gives to the server by employing this serve. That would be a judgement call.

17. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Why should it not be legal if it falls within the rules. IMO I see no need to make any service judgement calls except racket above the waist which he has been called on several times over the last half of the year.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Forgot the :rolleyes: icon. Lol

19. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

It should be illegal if the "flipping" of the shuttle is haphazard and/or causes the trajectory of the shuttle to change in an unpredictable way. It's hard to tell from the video whether this is the case.

If that doesn't happen that I'd be happy to agree that the serve is legal and should remain legal. What I don't want is matches where people are just serving at each other and scoring points. As long as that doesn't eventuate, then I'm happy :)

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think the line should be drawn where the shuttlecork hits the racket, not at the fingertips, where you have drawn it :) And if you compare the height of the shuttlecock when it hits the racket with the height of the serve when Boe hits it .. .. ..