Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Going by your principle, then a flick serve or a serve out to the tramlines is also deemed haphazard. ;)

2. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Well, no...because once the shuttle has left the racket then it's trajectory is entirely predictable and non-haphazard :p

#42 anjoooo, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

I can guarantee you that LYD is not haphazard in any way when he serves like that. It is absolutely intentional and he can and does wobble the shuttle like that every single serve.

If you can, watch him when he practices serves before the match begins. Best when the camera angle is from the side.

I'll post a link when I come across an example.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Actually, it's not. The shuttle flips on its axis and that already means haphazard unless you can predict exactly how it is going to flip ;).

5. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Yes - I agree that he is doing it intentionally. What I am arguing is that the flight of the shuttle (may) be haphazard and unpredictable.

6. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    If the only legal serves are "vanilla" serves, then the first 3 shots in every rally would be standard and boring; the ability to innovate within the rules is what makes the top players, well, top players

#46 DigitalDNA, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  7. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

I would argue that that is not the case. I would say that 99 out of 100 times, on a normal serve, the flip of the shuttle on it's axis would probably be pretty uniform and predictable. If you use the same shuttle, of course. In fact, many players exploit this fact and use it to address the shuttle early by predicting the earliest point at which they can address the shuttle.

Of course, I am no expert in physics or fluid dynamics :)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I believe that is the intention of a server in all racquet sports - even those that play with a spherical object. :) They serve so that the receiver can't get an advantage.

9. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

The S serve was definitely within the rules when it was first employed. They put a stop to it, however.

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, in every net exchange, every player tries his/her darnedest to make this happen :D

11. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

I think the main point of contention is whether or not the serve results in an unpredictable trajectory of the shuttle. The S serve was banned because even the person who was serving didn't know what the shuttle was going to do and it made it next to impossible for the receiver to reliably hit the serve back even if he knew it was coming.

If the receiver just has to get used to LYD's serve and that once he is used to receiving it he can return it reliably, then there's no issue.

However, if the serve is so unpredictable that the receiver cannot even get used to receiving it and returning it reliably, then that would be a problem.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol.... Yeah, what level do you think he's playing... social games where he feeds his opponent by hitting it nicely to their rackets? ;)

13. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Yeah...but that's not on the serve. If that's your argument then they should just bring the S serve back :p

14. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
    LYD is the next Sidek then? ;) I guess BWF would relook the serve if a lot more complaints come in from other players; "unplayable" and "undue advantage" are subjective though, so it would require quite a bit of good reason as to why the serve should be banned; it wasn't the S that was specifically banned, it was just that the cork had to be hit first...I don't see how they can ban this specific serve, given that a lot of players slice/jab the shuttle on low serves... I learned it from one of these videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBDE1E42B3A9BC37

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Where in the laws of badminton is there a rule that the serve has to be predictable?

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/#9

16. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

There is no law. But I'm fairly certain that that's why the S serve was banned.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The serve was not illegal from what I can see. It is how he has always served, I see no change. It's just because BoMo cannot beat them so are frustrated and looking for excuses.

LYD plays mainly the undercut (backspin) serve most of the time. This does make the shuttle wobble but with practice, it's not completely uncontrollable. He does also play the top spin serve but not often. The motion is fluid, he does not seem to turn the shuttle, so the cork strikes the string bed first. It's a very good serve. Tight, consistent and wobbling at just the right moment. The trouble with the undercut serve is keeping it in - it does land short a lot of the time.

I don't see why spinning the shuttle should be considered illegal, most pros will spin their serves, not least Boe. He plays both the undercut and topspin serve himself and knows why it is done and how it is done. All this technical discussion about service just because some bad loser cannot accept defeat and makes poor, untrue excuses. Imo BoMo should be banned for their behaviour. No doubt some young fans of theirs will pick up on these things thinking it is acceptable behaviour and do the same.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, and that's why the cork must be hit first since then. And LYD is serving within the rules.

So if BWF wants to ban unpredictable serves because Boe can't receive them, then there will have to be a new rule stating that the serve trajectory must not wobble. See how silly it becomes?

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unpredictability was one, the other was needing to change the shuttle every rally for it to work well - which strangely enough is what happens now anyway.

The service rule was made more specific to define which part of the shuttle should be struck first rather than actually banning the flight path.

In fact, as a junior I worked out a way of spinning the shuttle like an S-serve even with hitting the cork first. In one competition, I think one of the tournament officials actually came on to the side to look at it. I eventually dropped it because it was unpredictable for me as the server, sometimes going into the net!

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    That's clearly not true. You shouldn't be representing your country in badminton if you can't return a serve like LYD's undercut serve reliably.

How would you quantify predictable?

Let's turn it around and go with your idea, we all now have to play serves with predictable trajectories. If it is not predictable to the receiver, it is a fault. :rolleyes: