Poor Coach Behaviour

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Charlie-SWUK, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I ran into a little problem this evening.

We were playing badminton in an unheated hall, at sea level, while it was 0 degrees C outside. It was a drop in doubles endeavour. One player insisted the red cap shuttle was too slow (Mavis 300), and went and got a blue cap shuttle (another Mavis 300) insisting it was 'faster' and 'better'. The shuttle he got was broken, and the player went back to get another; this time he stopped and talked to the coach. The coach said the same things and stated the medium speeds were the 'right speed' for the hall.

I had tested a Mavis 300 blue, red, and a Victor Gold Champion shuttle (79) before others had shown up, and the blue was definitely too slow.

During the game my arm got sore - specifically the front of my shoulder.

The coach came up to me after the game, and asked if I was a coach. I told him I'm an assistant taking my level 1. To which he responded with 'No chance, your arm is hurting because you play badly and hit the shuttle incorrectly' (edit) 'because it loads your elbow', and then started showing me bizarre techniques, including having your wrist cocked at all times during shots (?), bringing your racket string back and the head up so that the string bed is parallel with your face (?), amongst other things.

He came up to me a total of three times, bragging how he'd coached members of Badminton England, and then finding different ways to call me a terrible player.

He didn't stop, even as I was packing my bag.

This is the first encounter I've had with this kind of etiquette. I kept smiling and saying 'ok' rather than retaliating. What does one do about people like this?

#1 Charlie-SWUK, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Exactly what you did: Be polite.

But now, in the afterglow, ponder on what he said. Was there anything to derive that could be useful? Even if it was only incorrect advice that reminded you how to do something right? Try to turn the annoying, unsolicited advice into some sort of positive. Otherwise it will stick in your craw for days. :-/

3. visor

visor Regular Member

To use proper forearm pronation, the racket face does start almost parallel to the face.

#3 visor, Dec 28, 2014
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This is also taught as the basic technique in my locality. Many top players don't actually follow this when we see it on TV. But for teaching basic technique starting off, this is the standard.

For the wrist being cocked back, this is what many of the Chinese players do. You don't specify which techniques in particular but definitely many of the Chinese players techniques teach a stroke that has the wrist cocked back very early.

If it's about etiquette, then this chap sounds like an enthusiastic player. He may have been giving you pre-emptive advice for the future coach examination.

#4 Cheung, Dec 28, 2014
  5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The Usain Bolt pose is something I find very uncomfortable, and as you said, I've never seen people use it in-game so I didn't force it upon myself.

I also noticed the only person to complain about the shuttle was the person he was coaching; the issue is, that person had difficulty keeping even the slow shuttles in the court. Instead he focused on the Bolt pose, trick shots (like feigning before a shot), and other showboating techniques.

I don't know, my game isn't the best, but some things (like not using your wrist in a shot and keeping it cocked all through) seemed outright wrong. I found his behaviour down right rude, this was a drop in session, I went for a couple of extra games and ended up with the coach literally standing there telling me I was too terrible to play.

Funnily enough I watched his two top players crab scuttling back and forth in the Bolt pose struggling to clear the slow shuttles to the back.

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

he coached national players and plays with plastic shuttles?

and he calls someone a terrible player?

sounds really weird to me

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    To be honest here, if you got annoyed with the situation, I would advise to take a mental note and move on. What do you learn? Perhaps to avoid this guy. Do you act the same way as this chap to other people in the future? Probably you can put it down to ego and immaturity.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I guess so. I just found it strange how he went on such a tirade over the shuttle speed. It's a shame because I was already working with another player who was showing me some of his tricks and helping me work on my backhand. I like to think I'm pretty conscious about my game and where I need to improve, but it just felt like he was being an aggressor for the sake of conflict.

9. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Are you certain this guy is a coach? If what you've said is accurate it doesn't sound like it. Maybe he's running a recreational badminton group with aspirations of being a coach and just likes to claim he is? A properly qualified and educated coach does not brag or belittle players, nor constantly criticise them. You can check his name with BE you know ;)

For various reasons some qualified coaches may not be on the coaching register all the time, but BE will confirm whether he is in fact a coach or not.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Didn't you tried to test the speed of the shuttle like written in the rules? If you and your opponent can't hit the shuttle with an underhand clear to the doubles service line and an few inches forth and behind, the shuttle is too slow. No matter what somebodies coach is saying, thinking or meaning. That's the reference. If you can't agree with the same speed, ask a not involved player, to test the speed for you. Everything else is useless.

11. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I agree with ucantseeme, the testing of shuttles to the doubles service line will determine if the shuttle is the correct speed.
    If it's zero degrees you should be using red label plastic shuttles which are the fastest ones you can get!!.

Using a slower shuttle is a sure fire way to get an injury because you're trying to compensate the slowness of the shuttle by hitting it harder.

I think some of the local clubs import shuttles from Asia without any correction for speed and its hurting some of their members

#11 leongwaipak, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I had reds, they had blues. The halls were unheated, but obviously had some passive warmth. Not warm enough to use blues in my opinion. We're on the south coast, the air is quite dry and salty too.

13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Anyway in regards to the annoying coach and what shuttles they use there, if you don't like the situation speak up and if speaking up doesn't change anything then it's time to walk away.

14. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I always use red ones. It's the best way to improve your defence even if they're faster than they should be. I only play socially but it's easier to adapt to slower shuttles and smashes when you're used to faster shuttles.Lol

15. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

Yeah sometimes its best to bite your tongue, and wait for the next guy to punch that ******* in the face. Sometimes however... you gotta be that "next guy". lol

16. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Sounds like his people skills are lacking. As most have said try and take the positive from his comments, look at your technique, perhaps videoing yourself and having a look back will help you. If you are already going for a Level 1 UKCC course, you will have tools to help you breakdown the technique using the coaching manual.

I'm a fully qualified Level 2 coach and his way of coaching is just not my style. All coached are different and I have seen many 'bad' coaches in terms of how they speak to their clients whether they are children, adults or professional players. My style is to encourage people, no matter their level and offer constructive coaching. IMHO nothing can be gained by belittling someone... but each to their own I guess. I hope this helps.

P.S. I played a league match against a team using plastics on Monday, the outside temperature was 2 degrees and the heating in the hall was broken, they were using blue speed shuttles as they were the only ones they had, I found them very slow. The correct speed should have been red.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There is nothing permanent but change.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    @InvincibleAjay
    I can't deal with condescending coaches, at all. For me, there has to be essence of civility, otherwise I won't play with them. If they're shouting, rude, swearing etc. then I kinda can't be bothered with them.

Ironically, the two areas I need to work on (meeting the shuttle at a higher point for better offense, and footwork) weren't picked up on by this guy.

As for recording, I don't have the equipment or opportunity. It's hard to pick apart where you're going wrong in the middle of the game, but I try to remain conscious.

Also a league match with plastics? I tend to keep feathers on me for bigger games, just for fun really. If I'm playing against county players/county youth players I switch to feathers. Keeps the game more interesting.

Was in a nearby hall tonight, and tested with 3 rackets strung with different strings and tension, even the red shuttles were too slow for the hall. It was freezing cold.

@jencon13
    I don't bother with that kind of hostility. I went back to my usual spot tonight, and they said they had similar problems with the behaviours of that coach and his wife. Apparently they're consistently obnoxious to people.

18. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Totally understand. I'm sure you know other better coaches that can give you better pointers on improving the two things you mentioned if you cannot video yourself. Even experienced players can be useful. I approach everything like a sponge, I soak up all the advice given to me and am not arrogant even though I am a coach myself even when others might be criticising me. No one is perfect and we can all improve our own game.

Lee Jae Bok's videos on YouTube are amazing, he is an excellent coach and has many videos on all aspects of the game, including footwork and attacking the shuttle early. Check them out. Good luck with everything.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    There is nothing permanent but change.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah I've seen some of his videos, they look pretty good but some of it seems unnatural, and even his demonstrations seem to defer away from some of what he's teaching.

Someone was already helping me to work on my backhand, honestly if the guy hadn't been so rude I would've considered taking his advice on board. But he was rude, and his advice wasn't very good.

It's a shame I can't get much time in with my current coach, she's very observant and very talented. She picks up on my mistakes and doesn't stop telling me to correct it until I do. Alas she's a busy lady.

20. leongwaipak

Accountant
    She is probably busy for a good reason. People with good skills are always in demand