Yonex Strings - Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by stann, Feb 4, 2015.

1. stann

stann Regular Member

Looking for career in Ho Chi Minh City now
    Got two strings online and I have read many forums but still have problem identifying if it's real or fake. Here are the pictures of BG66 UM, can anyone tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

How come I can't see writing on the string itself stating what model it is...

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to provide more information. which shop did you get it from? where is the seller located? how much?

those are more reliable indicator of real/fake than some low resolution pictures.

4. stann

stann Regular Member

Model? You mean BG66UM? It's in the first picture.

5. stann

stann Regular Member

Got it online from Aliexpress. Seller from China. Anyway the photo can be enlarged on click.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    let me guess (since you didn't answer my question), you got it for US$2.5 including shipping in a batch of 10+?

7. stann

stann Regular Member

Nope. I got it at 7usd each in a bulk of 5.

8. stann

stann Regular Member

Honestly, I think the actual cost of the string is really low. Since sunriseclick is selling 10 for S$99. Therefore I think the cost is not a main determinant whether it is real or fake.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    still, i think they are fake. i don't know if anybody has found any real yonex stuff on aliexpress that is not fake. :)

10. stann

stann Regular Member

I read a few comments/feedback on the shop. It goes something like this..
    "These strings are really good deal. I'm not too sure if this is authentic, it feels the same as the real thing".

Well I guess I will only know after trying.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    also should check what Limited328 says. all Yonex strings have the model number printed on the string itself in tiny prints. those seem to be missing from the pic you posted. it can be either it is not there (ie. fake), or it just happens they are occluded.

[​IMG]

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but honestly though, counterfeit Yonex products are so prevalent, it is not worth taking the risk, esp from sellers in aliexpress or taobao. i would guess 99% of the Yonex products there are fake stuff.

ebay used to be like that, but seems to have cleaned up a bit in recent years.

13. stann

stann Regular Member

Noted with thanks. I checked the string, it has the model number printed on it.

Strings are expensive if you were to change 2-3 times a month. That's S$75. Hahaha. This doesn't happen often but in some bad months, my strings can break after only playing once or twice.

14. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Just a couple of points here...

1) Aliexpress Yonex strings (as a general rule) are pretty much all fakes. I suppose the worst part of all this is that you paid US$7 for them each.... ouch... (Just get them from MyBadmintonstore 10/10)

2) Also note that regardless of the models sold on Aliexpress, they're all at 70-75 microns. Seems they have a string supplier that just prints model numbers on the one type of string and packages them as various models. Also note that the different models all seem to come in the same colour choices, which is not normally the case with Yonex strings. Had a stringing customer come to me with his own strings hoping to save some money but they were all fakes from Aliexpress. I measured all the different types he had with a digital micrometre and they all varied between 70-75 microns.... even the BG66 Ultimax which should have been at 65 microns. Also noted that all the strings were much softer and were very smooth and slippery. Upon tension pull, the string stretched way more than what you'd expect from the real Yonex strings and you can tell by the distortion of the model number print on the string.

3) With regard to feedback that you read from the sellers site, unfortunately (and I say this all due respect to those people) most of them don't really have any in-depth knowledge of those items to make a proper comparison....and in quite a few cases, they are simply put on there by the seller themselves posing as customers.

4) All that being said though, that customer of mine still asked me to string his rackets with those cheap strings he got from Aliexpress and even though I have shown him that the string gauge clearly indicates that the string is a fake, he swears that it feels the same to him on court....:confused: As one of my favourite strings are the BG66 UM, I asked to have a hit with his racket and have to conclude that it is definitely not as crisp as the BG66 UM, but the strings were very playable at 27lbs..... strangely even though they felt soft during stringing, it played a bit like the BG 80's...:confused:

5) With regard to strings breaking after playing once or twice.... try checking all your grommets to ensure that you do not have any split ones that could contribute to string breaking... or ask your stringer to check them for you. Not sure if you're stringing yourself but if so, check your clamp teeth from sharp edges or clamp pressure.

I suppose at the end of the day, stay away from cheap strings from Aliexpress... some people may have had positive experiences with those strings but they are 99.9% fakes..... that being said, if you are a beginner or intermediate player who likes soft/smooth 70 microns type strings...maybe that's a cheap option.. :D

15. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Stealthking summarises perfectly what I was going to type, thanks for saving me time.

Stann its 100 percent fake! I can tell from the back packaging as I too was provided fake strings by a client to string, I refused as at the time I was sponsored by Yonex and cannot advocate doing stuff like that. Even now, I would not waste my time with fake strings, just buy a 200m real, its cheaper to get and will last you a while.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

16. isa woo

isa woo Regular Member

You may want to check this video out