Serving rules striking the shuttle?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Playful-Wind, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Playful-Wind

Playful-Wind Regular Member

Hi I'm hoping someone could provide me either a simple answer if this is a correct serve or not or more importantly a more extended rule guide when serving, I have been using google to read upon the rule for serving but they never provide much information other than the height of your serve.

Here is the scenario which I have been encountering with playing with some new players,
    they all serve short back hand serve but the problem is the way they strike the shuttle, they believe its right as I can not provide any proof that its a bit of an odd serve;

One of the players tends to throw forward the shuttle and then strike it all below waist height and the rest (5) drop the shuttle and strike the shuttle.

Every professional game I have watched the players hold the shuttle and strike it with their racket (I do this) rather than dropping/throwing the shuttle, their serve generates (the players I play with) a lot of speed and I'v been curious for a long time if this is okay.

I'm hoping someone can help either telling me its all okay and suck it up lol or provide some information on why its wrong, I do apologise if this topic has been discussed already if so please provide to the right link (I did search for it) and admin I sorry :).

I have told these players this is badminton not tennis and they just laugh lol....

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I don't understand your question, i.e. what the players do?

As long as they hit the shuttle below the waist and don't jump around, they may well throw the shuttle, hit it behind the back or whatever. They may even throw the shuttle high up in the air, let it fall down and hit it below the waist.

Does this answer you question?

3. Playful-Wind

Haha I'll be damned ... Yep you did answer it if that is correct.

4. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Hi Playful-Wind and |_Footwork_|

Not forgetting:
    9.1.4 the server's racquet shall initially hit the base of the shuttle
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=608602&dl=1

This is the main reason for not throwing as the racquet should strike the cork first.

Stuart
    P.S Back from retirement. Starting playing while on holidays three weeks ago and have been to Canberra Boys Grammar twice now. (I stopped in playing and posting in 2007).

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    He's correct.

The whole shuttle must be below the server's waist (usually acknowledged as their lowest rib).

The racket must be pointing in a downwards angle - this usually means the racket head should be below the racket handle.

You must strike the base of the shuttle first - not the feathers.

The serve must be one forward motion of of the racket head. This means you can't pull it back an then pretend to serve before actually serving.

The shuttle must travel in an upwards direction from contact. (So if you're playing someone who's the best part of 7', they can't just serve with massive top spin so it goes straight down)

Your feet may not move during service.

And then obvious court boundary rules apply. I think that's all of the necessary points of serves. As long as the serve adheres to those points, it's legal. I get questioned on the legality of my forehand serve a lot (and to be fair, it's quite funky).

6. Playful-Wind

All these points that have been pointed out is performed fine when they serve its just throwing the shuttle forward or in the air generate a lot of speed by throwing the shuttle (it isn't hard to return its just odd lol and is a bit off putting ...)

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Ah, yeah my pet peeve is when people stand on their tip toes JUST BEFORE the serve. It moves my attention, it can be frustrating haha.

8. Playful-Wind

Is there any reasons why professionals in doubles all serve 90% the same? I mean if you can do whatever you please with the shuttle surely there must be a difference between them all? Rather than being predictable. I love the way they serve that is why it implemented it into my game but it's very predictable.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

What about the smash or clear or drive etc? Don't you think 90 percent of the pro players also hit them the same way? ;)

Although the wheel is round, there's a very good reason why it's not square or triangular... ;)

10. Playful-Wind

This is my opinion but rallies and serving are a bit different during a rally you aim to put your player in a awkward position so they can't return easily plus you don't have much time hence why sometimes it's easy to return a smash and sometimes not.

When serving you have all the time in the world to position yourself to return hence why I was curious why most of double serves are the same and a bit predictable, I'm not not knocking it i just throught something in the rule book might be there that forces the serve to be that way to be served.

Okay with the wheel.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Perhaps also coaches all teach the same way because that's the way it's been done.

But already if you look very carefully especially in slow mo replay, most servers are not the same.

Some push straight (Setiawan) , some undercut (LYD sometimes) , some top spin (Boe) , some keep the shuttle hand steady (Pedersen) , some lift the shuttle hand (Ahsan) and so on.

12. Playful-Wind

Hey that sounds awesome ... I'm assuming you saw these either live or on YouTube? If it's YouTube I shall search myself but thanks never thought look a bit closer haha dumb me :)

13. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    That was the case before but the rules got amended a while ago, the actual rule is:

9.1.6: The shaft and the racket head of the server’s racket at the instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction.

The racket handle does not come into play.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    What people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can.

14. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Once we played M double with a senior. In serving pose, he would fiddle with the feather for a second or two n then suddenly serve the birdie. We found this kinda annoying bcoz during his fiddling, we fell into a momentary lapse of not knowing when he's gonna serve... lol

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Similarly I hate those players who while they're still looking down fiddling with the shuttle, then suddenly flick serves catching me by surprise as they bypass the preparation phase.

16. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

Just assume they aren't ready and act "not ready" when they are playing with the shuttle/feather/etc. Enough times and they will behave (a bit more). :)

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=107099]TeddyC[/MENTION] and [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] couldn't you just argue you weren't ready? I always give my opponents a nod if there's any delay (like straightening out feathers) to let them know I'm about to start my serve.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, I suppose. But I would have already attempted to retrieve it. They'll only get that cheap point from me that one time. Lesson learned... until a few wks later when I would have forgotten again...

19. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    After getting used to his antics, we kinda know what to expect... that is, until the week aftr when we've forgotten bout it. As said, he's a senior n its just a leisure game... let the old man has his "fun"...
    { ^.^}

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Aww, a habit I have is to put my racket behind my back if there are delays for any reason. A nice clear indicator for them that I'm not ready.