big towelgrip thread

Discussion in 'Grip' started by jerby, Mar 6, 2015.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

So, as of late I'm back to towelgrip. I'm forever switching back and forth I guess between overgrips and this stuff. But the differences in thickness are doing my head in.
    I have G4 handles and normally do 1 layer of tape and 1 overlapped overgrip, However switchign to towelgrip this has been tricky.

So maybe we can help each other out and do some comparisons?
    I have tried Victor GR334 (yellow), Kimoni packs(black red yellow), and now I also have a generic white reel.

1) the kimoni grip is around the same thickness as victor, however it feels pretty uneven when I grip it: some parts are definately thicker than other.

2) GR334 is massively thinner than standard victor towel (picture). GR334 measures somewhere between 1 and 2mm, standard towel around 3mm.

3) (from memory) Ashaway towelgrip seems to be more in the line of the GR334 thickness wise.

Now my question to everyone: what other towelgrips have you tried and how do they feel? I had a dunlop towelgrip in my hands and it felt pretty thin, anybody tried it? How about any other reel?

Attached Files:

• grip.JPG
      grip.JPG
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

MBS Towel Grips Roll :D

I personally like the yellow and white ones. The thickness is pretty uniform and are thinner and lighter in weight than the rest of the bunch from my humble experience. The red one resembles a bit of your description of the Kimoni while also being relatively thicker and the black is the thickest. With the thickness the weight also increases considerably with the red and black ones.

3. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

I personally like thick, soft towel grips. Yonex AC402DX is perfect for me.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you like thick, surely the 402EX is better; the DX is very thin!

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Are those 334 the ones you got from me?:)

6. iceananas

iceananas Regular Member

Surely I meant EX :p

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Yeah those GR334's are yours Mark and I like them a lot. Currently considering placing an order but first I'just trying out various stuff.
    So the white reel I got might not be a victor; the packaging was plain white without any branding. The dunlop box of 24gr is in the mail, I'll be sure to post a picture like post#1

Glad to hear someone tried the MBS grip. Are they somewhere in between 402DX and 402EX? Or more "like 402EX but just a tad thinner"?

8. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

There is actually the AC402EX-30 [big reel] other than the "single racquet" package. The MBS reel is more similar to that Yonex reel, "but just a tad thinner", IMHE :D

I have not bought the AC402EX "single racquet" package for ages to be able to comment adequately. It might or not might not be a lot thicker than the reel.

Hope this helps.

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

So back again, here're my findings:

Victor 1025 (white) runs a bit thick, from memory it's just about the standard towelgrip.

Kimoni (red) is thicker than average and slightly uneven. The adhesive backing tends to stretch and crack leaving a wobbly feeling grip.

Dunlop grips are kind of thin, I tried black and orange. They feel just a fraction thinner than average.

Victor 334 is the thinnest of the bunch, by a stretch. I liked the feeling at first, it gives a good grip. However after 1-2 sessions it loses any cushioning it had.

For now I'm sticking with the Dunlop, however I encourage more people to contribute. It's just too bad no manufacturer says anything about the thickness of their product.

Attached Files:

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The 402DX has stretch to it, but the 334 doesn't, so the Yonex one can be "made" thinner, as it were and conforms better to the butt and cone areas. And you can get it in white - my JS10's will need white:p.

#10 Mark A, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  11. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

i have tried rkep yellow, compared to victor blue and red in a roll(didnt have a number on them)
    they rkep one seems very thin, im using as over grip

but the victor ones seem quite thick... might try using them as replacement grip instead...