Does the shuttle have to go over the net

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by sunny_1, Mar 6, 2015.

1. sunny_1

sunny_1 Regular Member

Engineer
    Hi all,
    Don't know if this question has been asked before so I apologise in advance if I duplicate a previous thread.

During a game of doubles my partner completely lost his bearings and decided to play a shot approximately 4 feet from the side line (shuttle would have landed on our neighbours court)
    The shuttle did not go over the net in actual fact it went about halfway high only, but due to shot being played so far wide the net did not come in to play as the shuttle went past the post.

My question is this a point or does the shuttle have to travel over the net.
    Sunny.

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes. If the shuttle hit by your team does not go over the net, the rally is over; the other side gets a point and the next serve (if any):

3. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

But there's no net to pass over at the sides.

I would say it should count. It's more likely to happen in tennis and you're allowed to hit around the posts. (and yes I know this is badminton.)

4. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

As opposed to tennis, this does never happen in any kind of serious badminton match.

Very theoretical question...

5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Precisely. Therefore, it is a fault, per rule 13.3.3.

In recreational play, you can of course make up any rules you'd like, but per the official rules it's a fault.

6. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Yeah I think officially it's a fault regardless of the height if it doesn't pass the net.

7. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

phihag is totally correct, it would not matter how high it was, if it does not pass over the net which is defined from outside doubles tramline to outside doubles tramline then it is a fault. That is the rules.
    @ footwork - I know people who can swerve the shuttle from inside the court out round the post and back in using an underhand stroke close to the net, so it is not that theoretical, players would use it if they could. Hence why the rule should be there because it would be a bit rubbish if you played a drop down the line and your opponent just played it from 6inches off the ground, swerved it round the post at that height and it lands in.

#7 craigandy, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. |_Footwork_|

I have yet to see such an action IN A REAL GAME SITUATION...

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

yeah that's because you need to be good to do it and good players know the rules but if the rule wasn't there you would. I have seen it be argued in serious games when sideline clears are played with a drift. Anyway my point was it is not that theoretical.

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Man, I would seriously hate to play against someone who can make a shuttle wrap/boomerang around the post - regardless if it was legal or not. I would like to be their partner tho!

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Haha. Something you could learn with Couple hours practice, completely pointless to do so though as it is useless. I fear you may think I am talking serious movement here but only talking couple inches out and back.

12. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

But hold on. Some nets are setup from line to line (like the pro tournaments), while other setups may have multiple nets connected with poles between adjacent courts propping them up. So on one setup the shot is illegal, and fine with the other?

13. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

deleted this duplicate

#13 jjashik, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  14. sunny_1

sunny_1 Regular Member

Engineer
    I have played badminton in Singapore on courts that have a continuous net running from one end of the hall to the other, the net would stretch over 5 or 6 courts and would make the shot impossible to play, but when you 2 poles with a net it makes the shot possible, but the legality I'm still not sure on.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I could not find the relevant rule relating to this, as I could not access the BWF Laws website.

But I remembered that an incident like this is legal, i.e, during a rally, a shuttle hit round the post but falls in court on the opponents side is not a fault. It should therefore be a point scored if the shuttle is not returned.

Unless the rule has changed.

16. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Those setups are not - strictly speaking - legal:

I'm assuming that there is one pole between two courts. If you are using two poles (one on each sideline), then the part of the net between those two poles does not count as net per the rules.

In a high-level tournament (i.e. with umpires), the referee will usually declare any courts that do not have a pole on the sideline - or aren't tight with the net - as warm-up courts and play matches on the other ones.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Um...

Isn't this a problem due to the massive amount of sag in the middle of the net? The net height is going to be much lower in the centre court than at the ends.

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Unless the net is pulled tightly between those two points. I can't remember the exact wording of the rule, but the centre of the net musn't be less than 1.524m off of the ground, but if I remember rightly, it doesn't state the centre of the net must be 1.524m off of the ground - meaning both a slight demp and a completely tort net would be legitimate.

19. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well it actually states exactly 1.524m from the floor at the center of the court and exactly 1.55m at the post placed on the double sideline.

In other words the net shall drop 2.6cm from the side to the center. No more. No less.

See rule 1.10 in the rulebook.

20. |_Footwork_|

This is true.

The ref always measures the net on the outer line and in the middle of the court so that these requirements are fulfilled.