gosen customedge type z

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Lyonn Loo, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
  2. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    I like the pink too but 160 for gosen. ...made in Japan?

3. korke78

korke78 Regular Member

Version 1 is made in China. Version 2.0 is made in Taiwan...

4. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Anywhere to view this in Singapore?

5. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I have a customedge type v and am interested in people's review of type z. Anyone try it yet? How does it compare to a Victor Thruster K9000 or Yonex Voltric Z Force?

6. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    I now have version 1 in my hands and have played with it for weeks now. Going to write my first review on here if anyone is interested.

7. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Yes please

8. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Should I start a separate thread? Just took pictures and the uploading options say the 1 picture is too big. :(

#8 7un4tran, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Post d link of tat thread here!

10. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Do post it is it nice?

11. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter
    Yes! I found a site that resized it. Had no idea it was 5000+ X 3000+ pixels before this.
    rsz_0215162354.jpg

I got this Gosen Customedge Type Z on global.rakuten.com for 110 USD which was a great deal. Had My eyes on the specs since I love 3U weight rackets for the extra power. The dominantly hot pink color scheme does throw people off by quite a bit as to whether this racket was mean't for only women. Don't let that fool you, since waving this racket around has given me the impression that it is indeed stiff and reasonably head heavy so it will only cater to above average men and very strong women. The rackets I was curious to compare this Type Z racket to were the Victor Thruster K9000 and Yonex Voltric Z Force 1 or 2. I can definitely say that this racket is nothing like the 3 mentioned rackets being that it is relatively head lighter than those other 3 rackets. My TK9000 is 310mm balance point, my old ZF1 is around 313mm, and finally ZF2 was 305mm. That said, this racket is at a 290mm balance point without the 2 rubber shock absorbers installed and 295mm with. The feel is therefore closer to the ZF2 than the TK9000 and ZF1. Many people always tell me how solid the feel of the TK9000 and ZF1 are to which I have to agree. My consistency with touch shots could never be more consistent. ZF2 is where that solid feel starts to disappear but its not completely gone and I'm proud to say the same for the Type Z. Now to talk about the hitting experience.

Gonna start by saying that this racket was strung at 27lbs with Gosen G Tone 9 strings so both the tension and the string are new to me since I usually like my sticks strung with Yonex BG65 or 80 Power at between 24-26lbs so my hits were a bit off at first. The G Tone 9 strings feel very hollow in comparison to the Yonex strings so my touch shots were way off for the first 15 minutes. I had to say, clears and backhand clears were effortless with this racket. This is the most comparable asset of the Type Z to the other 3 rackets, though backhand shots are much harder with both ZF 1 and 2 given how they are under the extra stiff category. The shaft of the Type Z is more comparable to the TK9000 and the very old but popular Armortec 900 technique.

While doing overhead drops, I noticed that I needed to swing faster to get the drop over the net so my drops became harder to read for friends during slices. With the 3 head heavies, it didn't require much of a push to get the shuttle tightly over the net so it looked more obvious when I dropped than with the Type Z.

Smashing was definitely a pleasure with this racket. While all the rackets I mentioned here are relatively powerful, the ZF2 is definitely the weakest here. The Type Z is around the same smash speed as the ZF1 according to my friends who were on the receiving end. However, the weight of the smash of the ZF1 is heavier. Heavy smashes are only apparent on head heavy rackets. My friends and many club members say that when I smash with the 4 rackets, the TK9000 is the clear winner in weight and speed. ZF1 and Type Z are close but Type Z is about a hair harder to see being that it is faster while lifting the ZF1 and 2 smash is harder due to weight of the smash. I do however get tired when smashing too often with the ZF 1. ZF 2 and TK9000 allows me to last a bit longer than ZF1. Type Z, I can literally smash bullets, forever. I never get tired of smashing with this racket.

Drives and defense are probably this racket's ace since the whippier your drives, the more benefits you get with this racket. Net play is amazing since this racket's Shark Skin and hexagon shaped frame combined are like a dream. This is where the racket is comparable to Victor's famous Bravesword line. The only thing is, Braveswords don't feel as solid, so it's easier to do touch shots like net drops and pushes with the Type Z.

After finally getting used to the string, I actually had a lot more fun with this racket though I still prefer Yonex strings. I can safely say that I give this racket a 5/5 rating and especially for the price. I remember finding it during the day of release online for 155 USD and now sites like global.rakuten.com will sell you one for as low as 110.75 USD. This is my first review and I plan on doing more reviews if my information is at all helpful.

12. 7un4tran

7un4tran Regular Member

Mechanical Drafter