India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

Oldhand do u have any info on IBL 2nd season? what happened?

2. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    [MENTION=121998]Lokesh[/MENTION] Srikanth "best" MS player India has "ever" produced???
    Surely you are too young to watch the great Gopichand play, (who himself in turn wasn't a patch on former world no.1, world cup champion, ae champion, world Games medalist Padukone). Also if baddy had been professional in the 50s, Nandu would have been a constant presence in the top 5 ala Saina is in WS.

In fact Srikanth in MS hasn't even achieved a quarter of what Saina has achieved in WS; who is still just par (or a lil ahead of PG);but way, way behind Prakash.

But yes the kid has got real potential. Infact it was in 2013 that I predicted that KS can potentially challenge PP for a place in history. Remember when he jumped into the scene with his attractive game filled with jump smashes (instantly reminded me of LCW or pre 1994 Gopi.)
    He has tempered his all Out attack strategy now and is evolving.
    [MENTION=13175]Oldhand[/MENTION] Other than his recent decimation of Song Xue, in non of his March matches did he play his natural "create an opening, kill a demon jump smash ad nauseum" game. His game against The Axe-man had elements of both attack and defence and was a perfectly "normal" match (i.e. the level displayed by human players; which discounts LD-LCW match ups). While his judgement was off vs Tian, he DEFENDED well and kept his NATURAL ATTACKING INSTINCTS home. Infact his game plan yesterday was similar to his gameplan during the China Open final vs The Great One.
    Its just that his execution was way off yesterday.
    If you compare Sri's matches vs the last 2 Chinese he faced, I would infact say he will lose more matches against XS in the future than he would against TH, irrespective of what happened in the last 7 days. Song lost, but played better than the scoreline. He will be back. He is tenacious; whereas TH dominated the scoreboard from the word go, won straight yet came out scarred. Lets check my prediction in 12-24 months time, shall we??

None of the current crop of MS and WS players from India will make the SS plunge in the near future despite their huge domestic hype. They will all Kashyap their way to underdelivery.
    But one should watch out for Rituparna Das in WS. If given the opprtunities to tour as consistently as the second rung men get, she can break in the top 20. She is already "better" than Pantawane and Thulasi are. I haven't seen enough of Ruthvika to judge yet.

3. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business

This is huge very very bold prediction. Actually

4. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    While we are here discussing the current crop of rising stars now that TH/PG are gone; LCW suspended and LD playing as infrequently and unpredictably as a mid-90s Agassi, mid-200s Serena or 2014-15 Nadal; when do you guys expect ZZ to make the grade??
    Everyone's been praising him to the skies for the past 5 years, yet he is yet to make the grade unlike KM, and VA in MS and Rats and Akane in WS.

Once the last of the big 4 goes down; I expect KM, KS, ZZ and someone else from the Barca-Atlanta era to eke their way in that space challenging CL.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ZZ has his thread here

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/92634-Zulfadli-Zulkifli

6. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    [MENTION=121998]Lokesh[/MENTION] so whom do you expect to win SS? I can't see anyone other than SN and PVS in WS and KS (and probably BSP) in MS. I rate BSP's game higher than HSP's, and the gulf between GPG and SS is monumental. Also for Ritu and Ruth to be even considered, let them get to tour first. One is just out of juniors and the other will probably be decimated again at the World Juniors. Surely not SS winning worthy credentials.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Indian badminton has its thread

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/78823-India-Badminton

:)

8. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Mistakenly posted before completing the sentence.

Actually, i was talking about MS .yeah. I heard about prakash padukone. But i am talking about current MS players. I did not compare him with Saina. She is a class player of her own. No other saina from india in near future, atleast for me.

{ Off topic: For current ws from india, Ruthvika shivani will come up better than Rituparna. Ruthvika is much taller than sindhu and she is just 17. She won Rituparna in evey national finals (juniors or seniors). She has nearly 80 gold medals . This time when she played saina in India open. GC mentioned that she is a talented youngster for future. She is like shixian. Her cross court drop shots and perfect shot making left saina stranded many times. It's a matter of time they will come up. But many youngsters of her age from different countries are playing international tournaments. She is playing only domestic tournaments. Pity}

9. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    [MENTION=121998]Lokesh[/MENTION] Exactly. If you are forced to rate Saina's accomplishments higher than Sri's simply because of cold hard stats, you will need to rate Prakash's achievements higher than Saina's. Just like Saina has won 5 times as many tourneys as Sri; Prakash won more than 2ce as many titles as Saina and recorded more majors, more victories against top players etc.

Ritu beat Ruth in the U-19 National (and in the NG too IIRC). I have seen more of Ritu than of Ruth TBH, so named her. Let the two start touring as I said. Even at their respective worst will be an improvement on Thulasi or Pantawane's performances. When they do, they won't be making the numbers. Expect them to continually reach QFs and above at the GP level, which will force BAI's hand in ensuring gender equity.

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Also I know he is just 13, but the badminton community is giving 13 year old Lakshya Sen the Sachin Tendulkar (or Arman Jaffer/Prithwi Shaw if you will) treatment. Already a 6 figure contract with OGQ and multiple sponsors.

The last 4 U-15 shuttlers with so much hype were M/S Nehwal, Popat, Syed Modi and Prakash Padukone.
    Which means that if the baby turns out half as good as the hype, he will win multiple SS titles.

11. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    I have been following his results since even before Prakash Padukone showered him with praises way back in 2012, but the last year or 2 his results kind of looked stagnated to me.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Was my gentle hint was too subtle? It would be nice to post an indepth discussion on other players in a more relevant thread. Rising stars in Indian badminton is much more appropriate in the generic Indian badminton thread.

Thanks

Mod

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    As has been the case with nearly every Tata Padukone Academy product including Gopi and Popat. Time to pack him off to Hyd me thinks. Arif is a great discoverer, TP makes them into decent prodigies; but PGBA is where diamonds are made and cut. Even Gopi lived up (momentarily :-( ) to his immense promise only after the SPLIT. (And the younger gen believes Saina-Gopi had a split lol.) While Aparna never did.

While its apparent that due to the inhumane, tortuous training regimen at PGBA Gopi's wards work harder, while TP's wards's being student-athletes with a holistic training regimen are multi-taskers.
    What sets the two academies apart is the belief system. Other than outliers like Anup Shridhar and Gopi himself; most TPA grads lack belief at the world stage, including Popat (which is a disgrace given she was way better than what she ended up with); whereas every single Gopi ward believe. They carry Leander Paes sized chips in their shoulders and MSD like calmness.

14. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    lol.. sorry there, please shift these posts into that thread.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, post future discussions in the correct place. A moderator is not a broom sweeper. ;)

Thanks for helping out.

16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Uncle [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION] Apologies. But don't you think discussions on Indian badminton will generate more meaningful discussions either here or at SN's page than at a thread which is more dead than alive?
    And isn't the past and the future relevant when KS gets anointed as "THE GREATEST EVER" from India in this thread?? Forget the future, won't even have mentioned the legends of the past had Sri not been called that here. Was just trying to put things into perspective. Sorry if that annoyed you.

Also if I want to COMPARE KS with other young players, is it inappropriate to do it in KS's thread??? By that logic comparing ZZ with KS at ZZ's thread will be inappropriate too.

Sorry. I know my post sounds disrespectful. But I hold you and your decades of knowledge in the game in the highest esteem.

Will be obliged to learn more about past greats, past tourneys from you.

Regards.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

short answer....no.

18. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    If the short answer is no, than probably even an old timer like you believes that KS is better than Prakash already, no matter how laughably comic the very premise seems.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

For the greatest Indian badminton player, the closest is Saina. It was a shame she couldn't pull off the All England to seal it clearly.

Can KS lay a claim to that? Yes, he can.

But to totally convince people he is up there with the gods of badminton (Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Taufik Hidyat), he is going to need more time. Lin Dan and LCW are hard acts to follow. The only men's singles player that I saw to challenge these two was Chen Long when I first saw him play about 5 years ago.

The future seems bright for Indian badminton. Hopefully the administration can minimise the politics in the sport. IBL has already suffered after a bright start and we haven't heard of it starting up again.

20. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Padukone World Cup Champion, Grand Prix Final Champion World Games and World Championship medallist. Twice year end world number one. world number one for more than 80 weeks. Positive H2H against Morten Frost and Liem Swie King. 2 All England Finals. 1 victory. Clean Sweep of European circuit (Denmark, France, England, Switzerland, Sweden -- it was important in 70s and 80s, Germany back when the European Circuit was more lucrative before the Grand Prix (1998-2006) or Super Series Era (2007-))

Saina Olympic Medal and Fedal degree embarrassing H2h vs Wang Yihan and LXR.

As much as I would want to say I rest my case, Saina's lack of credible achievements compared to Prakash does it itself. She will need either a Gold at Rio or consistent performances till Tokyo to surpass Prakash.