Do you prefer playing at the Front or the Back in doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Redjack, Mar 8, 2014.

1. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

only in the case of an extremely hot, young, fit, tight dressed female being my XD partne, id prefer being exclusively at the back. her back, but still as close as possible ;). kidding.

.......no, i'm not! cos it's been technically proven :p... put the hottie in front of the net close to the opponent's male partner, and distract him. (and vice versa). 2 birds with 1 shot! muahaha!

lol kidding again.. i think it'd make for a good all round game if both partners swap and cover both areas...not only would it make it harder for the opponents to change their shots as per our front/back arrangement all the time, we can also improve our game over time.

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I still love to try and smash everything, but I have been enjoying being front man a lot more recently. I used to be terrible at the net though.

3. MikeYeap

MikeYeap Regular Member

Engineer
    playing both front and back... used to be hard hitter at the back but group that I play do not have acceptable front player. In the end I learned how to be at the front and its quite fun. Placing all those shots that will put your opposite player out of position... :)

and sometimes I still go to the back and whack all the birdies down as hard as I can....

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I prefer to be a front player, but usually I'm at the back because my partners (many, I just pair with everyone available) just won't hit the birdie down and always prefer to clear, and then the opponent loves to clear cross court (which is usually where I am). so automatically I become the back player.

5. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Whilst I'm better at the front, I'm equally happy with both.

I'd echo previous posts about how key doubles positioning/rotation is to enjoying the game. Neither front nor back is enjoyable when your partner is playing loose shots and/or leaving large holes.

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I prefer playing in the front, this is where the magic happens.
    Every monkey can stand in the back and hit hard. Men's doubles is decided in the front...;-)

Jilles likes this.
  7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    This is what I think too, but in only happens if the man at the back can hit the birdie down and not do those weak clears

8. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    i prefer both...whichever will make a difference against the opponent to win the game

9. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I'm talking about men's doubles.
    If the man in the back clears (more then once in a while), I'm going to switch partners...;-)

10. Agung5343

Agung5343 New Member

Government Employer
    i like playing back court, various technique easy to make better than in front court, imho

11. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Either, don't have a preference really. I am stronger at the back but then I try to come in when I can to improve on my net play.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Use soft words and hard arguments.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Some just hate being the front player as they feel the game passes by without them doing anything and there is a stigma that the front player is just an accessory. and you know the front player is always at fault at eveything...hahahaha

But the truth is, from my perspective, playing at the front needs fast reaction, wide vision and thinking. Being the back player, you can be late and still hit the shuttle and have time to think what to do, which is a luxury that cannot be afforded by the front player.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I like both. Being at the front, you'll have a slightly bigger influence on the game (getting the attack for your partner/team at the start of the rally, having the opportunity to finish off weak defensive shots etc.), but I like using my height to my advantage from the back as well, since a good back court player can decide just as much as the front court player with how he attacks. A monkey just smashing, smashing, smashing will not have much success against players with decent defense and an eye for the court, whilst a smart player with good placement and variety (mixing in drop shots, flatter smashes, unexpected angles,....) will find it much easier to set up his partner at the front to finish the rally.
    Also, the back court player has to take those mid-court shots that just pass his partner, something I'm fairly decent at thanks to my long reach and good first drive.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I like playing front and back but it's so frustrating playing at the front when your partner's attack is doing no damage whatsoever which makes you a spectator at the front and can't get involved.

But when you have a partner whose attack can create some openings I love to intercept the shots and put away anything loose.

Equally though, I have a reasonably good smash and drop but it's no good if your partner is not good enough to capitalise on any opportunities...

15. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

i like the playing in the front, but on occasions where ur partner is not hitting a downward shot. you are basically a sitting duck in the front

16. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    I enjoy playing both depending on who i'm playing with. Most enjoy just smashing and don't really know how to play the front, in those situations i'll take the front more often to anticipate and intercept. If my partner gets a nice and comfortable clear from our opponents, I of course move to the front - if he does another clear and gives away the attack forcing me now to retreat to avoid getting smashed in the face i'll be taking the front less and less.

17. junclot

junclot Regular Member

absolutely !

i love cai yun/lyd's style as i cant smash hard / that steep consistently, so i enjoy winning net battles (juz sliced across the net, how sweet) and 1st 3 shots (server / return)

but 1st u gotta have a partner who equally understands the importance of server & return / defence & attack position rotation, which is not easy to find some times

18. ansonheng

ansonheng New Member

Both, i'm more like a all around player.

But i'm neither the best smasher nor net player among my friends.

19. Richizzle

Richizzle Regular Member

I love playing at the back as that's where I'm most comfortable, but if I'm serving I end up stuck at the front due to the return always being sent behind me, which suits me as I need to improve my net game but can be frustrating seeing lots of shots I would like to take advantage of at the back of the court

20. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I'm a decent back player though my natural tendency nowadays is to play at the front because I feel like the front is where I can utilize my fast reactions to the best use.

It sometimes gets me in trouble during regular pickup games after I block my opponent's smash back to the net and rush forward, only to find that my opponent lifted my block to where I was standing previously. To people who know how to rotate, your partner should already have been moving to the back to smash it, but most people stay on their side of the court and look at me blankly as to why I moved up. So I often can't play as freely to the net as I'd like.