The STAR AUSTRALIAN Open SS 2015 : Qualification & R/32 (26th & 27th May 2015)

Discussion in 'Australian Open / Indonesia Open 2015' started by CLELY, May 25, 2015.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not only that. What's more, it's been only a week after the high of the Sudirman Cup triumph, I feel Lin Dan would rather be at home in Beijing with his family than launch himself into another campaign so soon. Furthermore, the requirement of mentally adjusting from a naturally unwinding state after winning a major and then having to get back up again for another top-notch event would take a longer rather than shorter time than before, particularly in Lin Dan's case taking into account his special conditions.

I'm sure Lin Dan will do some necessary reflections and act as appropriate for the following tournaments. I think the negative impact of this loss is not great, just mostly of inconvenience as he would have to do more to recover lost ground in terms of ranking points.

Technically speaking, I felt that Lin Dan played worse today vs V Axelsen than he did at the Sudirman Cup against Marc Zwiebler (twice) and Takuma Ueda; obviously, the demands of the two events differ considerably.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Will Axelson drop out of tomorrow's match

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Sugiarto's victory over LD had a retirement in the next round as a result. Maybe that's LD's plan. Losing to all players and getting them injured. Come the olympics there'd be none of them left. Just kidding. :D

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What else can we expect from he and his ilk - they simply can't wait for such a golden opportunity to 'hit back', never mind if they make a fool of themselves in the process.

5. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    By all measures Lin Dan is in his separate League.
    You can see the his head to head with anyone for a holistic view.
    Also, even in the major Super Series tournaments, he has won more than LCW. He has got 5 All England.

Also, LCW won most of his tournaments when LD was not there.

Finally, judging holistically is always a challenge, but for any legend major tournaments are a must. It is very different to win a Malaysian Open Super Series, and Olympics, simply because everyone is aiming for the Olympics. People can often tweak their performance to peak, and may deliberately not perform their best at some tournaments.

Also, this 80/20 is totally wrong. Even excluding Olympics, Lin Dan has a far better H2H against LCW.

Frankly, the debate over who is greater, LD or LCW, ended after 2012 Olympics, and should have ended even for LD's biggest critics after 2013 WC.

As for consistency, there is no single way to measure consistency. AND, for me Lin Dan has been more consistent over the long term, in the sense that he has been at the top of the world now for so long.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Quite true, at the Sudirman Cup, Lin Dan showed some glimpses of his former self, the Lin Dan we knew.

7. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Will the R16 matches tomorrow be telecast and/or be covered by the livestream of BWF World TV at u-tube?

It's quite pitiful that those interesting matches in R32 can only be watched through the inferior live streaming quality (and the lag was hardly bearable)... hopefully the match videos will pop up somewhere later.

8. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    No they are not. You are expected to present your best at a major tournament, and use your all to do that, a skill required.

Also, how many tournaments has LCW won which had LD in it? LCW has won most of his tournaments in the absence of LD.

9. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    A trip to Beijing back home. Well couldn't have thought this.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

first real madrid trophyless season and now LD's pathetic first round exit.Some of my Friends(LCW fanboys) have still the dare and desire to mock me.........**** you 2015

11. Lokesh

Lokesh Regular Member

business
    Good news for all the badminton fans all over the world.

THis news taken from twitter of Rasmus Bech, Sports commentator of Denmark.

"In the World Championships or a Level 2 event, if a player or a pair withdraws or retires from a match played against a player or a pair of the same member association , they will not receive ranking points for that tournament.

For the purpose of these regulations, retiring from a match , does not considered to be withdrawal, however , should the player be entered in more than one event, by retiring or withdrawing from that one event, the player must be withdrawn from all other events in which the player has entered".

This is a breaking news. Very good news indeed.

Source: http://https://twitter.com/badindiaupdates

#311 Lokesh, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  12. Tuonoska

Tuonoska New Member

Btw. Why LCW not playing on this tournament ?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, and how consistent is LCW in losing to Lin Dan in all the majors, their lop-sided H2H is most telling; even LCW's H2H with Chen Long isn't too flattering despite their age difference.

14. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei could not be registered in time because of his ban.

15. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    LCW was still put under BWF sanction during the registration period of this tournament, as well as the back to back Indonesia Open SS Premier 2015. Not sure whether he will play or not in the coming TOTAL BWF World Championships 2015 in Jakarta, Aug 2015.

16. bloodwraith

bloodwraith Regular Member

Hm... I doubt LD has been on top of the world longer than LCW... But it doesn't matter the exact "duration on top of the world".

I disagree with you though about only tweaking your best at major tournament. Don't you want to win a tournament doing your best and also are you not facing the same top players regardless of tournaments?
    So one might think that a player only plays at 100% during major tournament...I doubt.
    I agree that it is very hard to measure consistency, but to take away your merits for winning non major tournaments that consists of top players is lack of acknowledgement.
    You mentioned that LCW most of the time wins because LD is not participating, but even if LD is participating can he even reach the final?

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Neh. Then they will just show up and play act a little. Unfortunately there are ways to go around it. It has been done before.

18. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    What are you having man? LCW has a negative H2H against BOTH LD and Chen Long. LD has negative H2H against none. (He has total against 2 people who were players of an earlier generation. )

And I am not saying that I don't acknowledge LCW as a phenomenon. He is good, very good. But no where near LD.
    And if you want to compare tournaments, give them points according to status. 1 olympics will be equal to say 3 world championships, and 1 world championship equal to 2 all england. I think this would be right.

19. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

How if players that in same association really got injured or eat wrong food, or else..
    Is this fair?

20. Tuonoska

Tuonoska New Member

Ooh right that explains, thank you for information