Players with WEAK smashes!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by *___*, Dec 17, 2013.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, some of us try :D still, in competition you do what you have to to win, and that does include a certain focus on the first three shots, even at our level. In training, I try my best - but I'm really not a natural jumper, so my jump smash is rather tame :D

2. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I can only say after watching ahmad play in person on many occasions, that's my opinion on ahmad. Feel free think otherwise, you are entitled to that as I'm to mine.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, compared to any player below high Pro level he is, but in comparison to players like Xu Chen, Hong Wei, or all-time greats like Fu or Jung his smash is pretty weak. At times it feels like Natsir smashes harder when they come up against a strong defense such as Zhang/Zhao...

4. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

I think Kim Ki Jung and Kim Sa Rang both have quite weak smashes. I remember an all england final (2013 I think?) where Endo and Hayakawa was just working them around the back of the court. I always feel they have trouble getting winners.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Objectively, they both have strong, if not outstanding smashes. KKJ struggles with movement, and KSR half-smashes a lot. I agree they dont have the most penetrating attack from the back, although personally I see the problem with their placement and choice of shot rather than shuttle speed.

6. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Should probably point out Chris' smash has come on a lot this year, hitting numerous outright winners with it now. Wouldn't say it's in the weak category of XD anymore.

7. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Hendra Setiawan. Either he deliberately doesn't smash that hard ( as not to lose balance) or he just can't. I remembered he once said in an interview with indonesian television, that his smashes are weak compared to many double players. But his placements that 'force' the opponent to lift and makes his partner to be able to smash... Are crazy sometimes. Then again, even LCW's or even LD smashes are sometimes not that hard. But how they place the smashes...

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

LEE YONG DAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC expert [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] mentioned that few ladies smashes harder than him....and I second his thoughts...

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe... yeah Juhl, Ponappa, Maheswari come to mind...

It's kinda strange watching him smash his hardest with full effort and a loud "ooof", but his opponents calmly lift it back to him again and again until he finally decides to block it to the net so that he can rotate up and let Yoo take over at the back... then bam, within 2 smashes Yoo wins the point with a smash... or better yet a heavily disguised fake smash drop. :)

#69 visor, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

i bet LYD missed CJS's power smash very much...

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

While I agree on lYD having a comparably weak smash for MD, none except Juhl come close to him in power. Whenever Maheswari smashes I almost choke on my food laughing, it's SO ineffective...gz on their WD win though. Not that I could sit through any of it, but the highlight skits really help with keeping track of all disciplines :D

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Why he makes such a powerful face then ???:D

xyz.jpg

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I meant no WD players except maybe Juhl are smashing nearly as hard...