TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2015: Postmortem and Afterthoughts

Discussion in 'World Championships 2015' started by pcll99, Aug 16, 2015.

1. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Well... Taipei open isn't a good representative.
    Chen Long was clearly playing easier, and saved the preparation for the WCH. He only upped the pace when it was the end of the second set, since he was gonna lose if he didn't try.

This defeat wasn't due to mental strength problems, he was outplayed physically.

2. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

This is only your opinion. Mine and many people I know is different. It's good that everyone can have his own ;).

3. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Anyone who plays decent singles could notice LCW was being movement pressured by Chen Long like crazy. If he was late, he got punished...

It's also public knowledge LCW has less stamina than Chen Long, so LCW in a sense is forced to play winners after a while in the rally.

TBH, I don't think LCW lacks any mental strength since about 3 years ago. People were whining how he lost to Lin dan so closely in 2012, but there was no stupid unforced error from LCW.
    This wasn't one of those 'close calls', LCW got outplayed.

Then again, depends how you define mental strength. If you push the boundaries, everything is mental strength...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree with most. After all LCW is like 7(!) yrs older than CL.

Re OG 2012 final, LCW's mental mistake showed late in G3, when LD stepped up a gear and LCW mistakenly let a shot go past him thinking it was long. It was in by a few inches. Then it was all downhill from there.

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

What about Rathanok and rest of THA ladies, then JPN ladies?

6. decoy

decoy Regular Member

From experience in competitive matches, I would say that even moving slower can be a symptom of nerves.

7. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Racket matters. Blocking smashes is LCW's best, but he failed so many times in this tournament.
    Also there's something wrong with his stamina. He sweats way too much than before(recent tournaments).
    However, he accomplished his commercial mission of bringing Duora 10 to Finals.

8. esppy

esppy Regular Member

His sweating was something I noticed too... After flicking sweat and waiting to receive serve, sweat continues dripping like water again.

9. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Could have just been the climate =/ Indonesia isnnot exactly in the best location for not sweating.

10. AlexLiu

AlexLiu Regular Member

malaysia isn't exactly any different too :p

11. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Exactly. He could just be perspiring a lot more now due to the extortion and his age during matches or in training and we just don't see it.

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Of course they are there...
    I think in his later half of the post he was only concerned with SN's performance and SN never struggles against RI to that extent...other THA girls yes BO is a surely talented and will get better and better
    Even against the JPN SN didn't struggle much except if that ST did well to shock everyone in this WC

13. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Women Singles / Men Singles is unpredictable and very tough nowadays and thereby, treat for us :D

14. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    2 years back, every new Japanese WS could beat Saina, not anymore. Nazomi was promising but again seems to be going downhill, after a promising year.

15. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

This is exactly what I'm trying to say. I lost few matches to players I win usually because of my mentality. I had some problems with concetration and because of that I was to slow, had to many stupid mistakes. If you play against someone like LD or CL you have to do it at 110%. For me LCW played well, but this was not his best he could do.

We will never know the truth unless someone ask him honestly for that.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

He already answered; that's what he said: "Those who watched the match today must have been disappointed as well. They ought to. It was not my best performance.".

(Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/08/16/Chong-Wei-second-again-in-Worlds/)

17. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Strategy wise it felt he was in a lockdown. He's moving slower I think is because he's worried if he plays any faster, he's gonna energy even more.

You may expect to have mental strength problems or whatever, and 'weak' mental strength at LCW's level is like much much more than us mortals. Come on, he's got psychologists and stuff to analyse and break down his problems, it's bound to be tough.

18. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca