Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    That may be because he hasn't gotten used to his slower self, so he thinks he's slightly higher and faster to each shot resulting in his timings being off and the shuttle in the net far too often.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nothing dirty about it. His semiifinal loss to Sony was in the week immediately following his Thomas Cup triumph and he was in no mood to play as evident in the early rounds when even mediocre opponents stretched him.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So you admit, that it looked like he lost this match on purpose? Maybe to give a false image of his current form or just because he didn't care, at all. Kind of disrespectful towards his opponent and not really a very sportsmanlike thing to do, if you ask me.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think Lin Dan knows how quick/slow he is and it's been a year,he is playing this slow game.But MASTER Dan not able to kill these Lollipop lifts is worrying for me.Also,his diving defence is a thing of history books.But no problem,if master doesn't want to dive,then let him play in Peace.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why take Lin Dan's defeat of Chen Long in the WC simulation match seriously? Maybe it was Chen Long who didn't play his best (what for, remember their mutual rivalry and not training together anymore).

Do you really think Lin Dan has to resort to such psychological warfare? It's not like him.

Besides, isn't it better to keep his rivals guessing and spring a surprise on them? JOJ didn't care, he even said prior to the start of the WC that Lin Dan is not in good form to win at Jakarta, adding that the title would probably be decided between Chen Long and Lee CW, and he actually picked LCW to take the crown this time.

As for Chen Long, I thought he would stand to gain from having a gauge of Lin Dan's form in that simulation match.

6. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Yonex's LD racket is not impressive whereas Lining was very impressive when they introduced LD's N90 II. Also, when Yonex introduced Voltric Z Force - II ( black color one ) and marketed using LCW , many bought the racket and the racket is too good but the same cannot be said for LD's Yonex racket.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

It's funny how Li-Ning used LD to promote the N90 II and even the N90 III, when he's actually never been using either of the two. :D

8. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Exactly my thoughts :). Hope Yonex comes with a racket for LD like they did for LCW ( Z force -II )

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe Lin Dan at the Incheon Asian Games 2014 where he beat Chen Long for the gold was still playing at a high level, perhaps at 80-90% of his best whereas Chen Long at that time wasn't as strong as he is this year.

Then after the AG, Lin Dan accidentally injured his knee which he aggravated in his match against Chou Tien Chen at the DEN PSS. Though he won that R1 match, he withdrew before his R2 match with JOJ. While undergoing treatment and still carrying the injury, he unwisely chose to play the CHN Open PSS instead of withdrawing because it was held in the hometown where BAYI (PLA) is located, a rare occasion on which as a soldier he felt duty-bound to participate in front of his home crowd and fans to whom he's most unwilling to disappoint.

I think it was from that time that Lin Dan started to go downhill as he was compelled due to injury constraints and fear of aggravation to play even more cautiously and conservatively in a rallying type of game based largely on stroke play and relying on shot quality rather than, should I say sacrificing, speed and power. Methinks he has overdone it, gone too far, in transitioning to his 'new' style of play so much so that it has unexpectedly yielded undesirable, even dismal, results as evidenced this year.

Let's also be reminded that since Lin Dan's comeback, he's requested and been granted a specially structured training regime that emphasized on quality not quantity, meaning fewer hours (and perhaps lower intensity?) to suit his personal needs taking into account his increasing age and physical condition.In other words, he's not training as hard as before.

To make matters worse, apart from putting his family first as he's openly declared shortly after LOG'12, his mind is now divided between badminton and his private and commercial interests which as we know also make frequent demands of his time as practically every other week or so would see him making appearances and taking part in various promotional events, activities and duties (both official and unofficial) for Yonex, Oakley, Dolce and Gabbana,Mont Blanc, etc, as well as hobnobbing with celebrities such as Nicholas Tse's cooking shows,doing TV programs, charity events, acting as ambassadors, you name it.

Last but not least, whilst I've not the slightest doubt that Lin Dan's passion for the sport is undiminished, he's said as much and I believe him but I'm afraid the same cannot be said for his motivation. For Lin Dan, the most decorated,celebrated, the greatest ever badminton player in history who's been there and done that so many times, what does it take for him to scale the summit again after the recent slump ? Only he has the answer. I shall wait for it.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What the.....how do you define a racket as 'impressive'? Apart from that, he never used the N90II and for me it fell short by quite a bit compared to the N90. Felt hollow, powerless, and stiff (in a weird way). The N90, while heavy and stiff, comes alive when you smash and drive hard. The N90II doesnt.
    Also, here in Germany LD products are more expensive than their standard counterparts. They must be in demand, or that difference wouldnt exist. He does have his own Z-Force II, btw.

11. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    what he meant was like a new series. Like Maybe the duora could be LD but instead is Lcw 's

12. kbase

kbase Regular Member

The LD N90 II and LCW Voltric Z Force II were very impressive by all means. The players success using those rackets, sales charts of these rackets, technology present in these rackets and the paint job done ( though very subjective, I like it personally). These two rackets created high success rate not only for the players but also for the manufacturers too.

Lindan or LCW will play well with whatever racket their sponsors are giving as they are the masters of the game but the same cannot be said for the aspiring players / normal club players and these two rackets won many hearts ( and still selling high ) even with a very normal people.

LD's Z Force II is nothing special than black color Z Force -II and I feel personally, it's just a yellow paint work with few modifications.

#6152 kbase, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Purposely or not, I don't know. But when your mind is not focused on the game, you're bound to lose to any player not much weaker than you even those you usually beat.

In the first place, I 'm baffled why he played in that tournament when all his Thomas Cup squad colleagues took a break which is the normal practice, for Lin Dan as well, immediately after a major tournament or achievement whereat any player would naturally wind down.

14. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Excellently summarized and hope LD rise to the occasion. His mental strength is awesome but he needs to physically work a lot to get back his form. Expecting to see his old aggressive smashes again. Let's hope.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yourr aware that LD never once used the N90II, right? They only marketed it as such, just like the N33 with Cai Yun. And if the N90II sold well just because of LD's name, so will the Z-Force II, even if its just a custom paint job.

16. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Buddy, this is business. You may be well aware that sponsor market their products through players. People buy the rackets owing to players success. That's the reason I said in another thread that there is no point for Yonex sponsoring Lindan if he cannot use their rackets officially.

A racket's success is not decided by the players alone but the people like us who buy these rackets for a price. People buy top players rackets imagining them to be LD or LCW. So it matters how the manufacturer can visualize success that a racket been used by LCW must be liked by normal people like us. In this case, LD N90 II and LCW Z Force II are grand success and it suits well for the normal people like us.

Yonex's LD racket won't sell much like LCW Z Force II is my humble opinion as he is not authorized to use their rackets officially due to sponsorship constraints. We people know that LD uses Yonex rackets but not the normal people who think that he uses Lining rackets because of the apparels.

We too won't buy LD's racket as it's a custom paint job with few modifications. It's better Yonex creates a new brand for LD with serious efforts and thereby bringing new technology so that it becomes a hit with the normal buyers like us too.

#6156 kbase, Aug 18, 2015
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lin Dan Post match interview

“There is still more than half a year left in the Olympic qualifying.A lot of people think that I am going downhill but all I can do to prove myself is to do my best and try to qualify for the next Olympics.

Asked if he could say what his friend – and Jorgensen’s next opponent – Lee Chong Wei might need to do to win the title, Lin had an interesting response: “It seems Malaysia needs a World Champion so much but for me, winning the World Championship just means that you were better at that particular moment, nothing else. There is nothing to fix about Lee Chong Wei: the skills, the experience, everything is the same. It’s about how you look at the title of the World Championships.”

Source:Badzine.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

'Dont call me buddy, mate.'
    You contradict yourself constantly. First you say it's perfectly fine to market a racket the player never used with his face. Then you say nobody will know he uses the Yonex racket. The N90II and Z-Force II LD are advertised through exactly the same channels, so the people who thought "Hey, LD's racket? Cool" when seeing the N90II will now think the same about the ZF LD. Yonex is allowed to advertise that hes using their racket, so its all over their websites and stores will mention it as well in order to boost sales.
    He is allowed to officially use Yonex rackets and shoes, just not to stencil their logo on the strings.
    That he doesnt have the logo on the strings in tournament play hardly changes anything as far as I'm concerned, that happens regularly for other players as well, and at every Yonex-sponsored event there will be huge posters with his face and racket on them.
    So, in conclusion, the ZF LD has better chances of selling than the N90II - aditionally to having the same marketing channel (the racket company's ads), LD actually uses it on court. That really is a huge difference, or else Yonex wouldnt have gone through the pains of re-painting so many rackets as FlashBoosts for pros to use.

#6158 j4ckie, Aug 18, 2015
  19. kbase

kbase Regular Member

I never contradicted and conclude that let Yonex create a new brand for LD with new technologies with a new racket and hope they will as they launched new Duora series and LCW is using it.I rest my case here. Thanks

#6159 kbase, Aug 18, 2015
  20. wangyii

wangyii Regular Member

LYB:We can not see LD's agility which he had in the past in this tournament , from the professional point of view, I don't think it's possible that he reserve his energy right now and will release it in next year's Olympics, there are problems in his both skills and strategy.

http://www.ttymq.com/?action-viewnews-itemid-38546

#6160 wangyii, Aug 18, 2015