Long term shoulder& back problems - lost my mojo!!!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Makkem_1, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Hi, any advice appreciated. I hurt my back a few years ago badly enough to spend a year unable to play. It eventually recovered and i got my game back on track. Then after a year or so, i got problems with shooting pains in my arm which got so bad i again couldn't play.. again i was unable to play for more than a year. After consulting a physio, she said it was referred pain from the original problem and that my shoulder complex was a mess as well. I'm saving up for a series of treatment. The pain backed off a bit, and i want to play again.

But its got in my head. Even when there's no pain or very little pain, i tense up playing overheads expecting pain, so i can't get a good swing, its not a smooth action - i end up shortening my backswing because i feel the 'pull' in my arm muscles too early (if you know what i mean). Often there is pain, typically a stabbing pain in my bicep or tightness in my lower back or both. The pain comes on with no warning and often for no apparent reason. Badminton-wise, i get three quarters the power and lose accuracy on overheads. I'm getting plenty frustrated.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    do not completely believe your physiotherapist. They just want you to do more physiotherapy!! :D

1. Try acupuncture, which I believe it's popular in England.

2. Research heat therapy.

3. KT Tape and/or back support.

4. Stretching before and after badminton.

3. Nyquist

Nyquist Regular Member

I had problem lifting up my arm after 2 consecutive game day. By lifting I mean like raising my arm to brush my teeth this morning or raising my arm to open the car door. I went to my family Chinese physician today. It's amazing how acupuncture works for me. Firstly I was surprise that she poked the needle on a point on my thigh outward muscle instead of my shoulder. I was told to lift my arm as she wiggled the needle. Besides the initial stinging pain and in the midst of the discomfort, I regained the strength to lift my arm (like in a street protest kinda action) and she instructed me to arch my arm backward. The returned to strength is about 80 % as the pain of lifting lessened. She gave me some Chinese medicine as well.
    The last time I had this problem though not as bad as this one, I had tried physiotherapy at Sgd 150 for 30 mins over nearly 17 sessions. It didn't solve the root problem like this one does and the remedial effect is felt so nearly immediate imho. The downside of this visit is that it's near in my folks' place and there is no appointmeant to be made but old system where I had waited for slightly more than an hour. But now in hind sight it's worth it in all sense of the word. I spent sgd 20.
    I hope you can find a good Chinese physician who is skilled in acupuncture. It really leaves in in awe about how it works so effectively.
    Good luck!

#3 Nyquist, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    The longer the waiting time, the better that therapist is. :D

5. Nyquist

Nyquist Regular Member

I will definitely go back again once I finish the medicine. Had I known so effective, I wouldnt have spent so much on physio. I can kill time by exploring my old town or watching game of Japan open on youtube.

6. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

if you think it's mental, then stop playing competetively for a couple of weeks and just knock up with someone. Treat it likea training session, just to get you back in the groove. make sure you warm up / cool down properly and stretch .

7. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I had the same exact problem that you're having now. It was around 3 years ago, sudden backstabbing feeling on my back and it rendeered me unable to stand up for weeks (laying down was the option) nor sitting for longer period. It was called Degenerative Disc Disease by my doctor after MRIed. I rested about 8 months and start playing again. Last year, my right shoulder (i'm right handed) felt like it was stabbed when i perform usual smashes. I barely able to lift up my arms for few weeks and the symptoms continued for 4 months (couldnt play nor lifting heavier object). It lasted about 4 months for me before i THINK i was completely healed.

Then recently, last June... my left leg was in acute pain for no apparent reason and it still is when i write this. Some self diagnosis with help of google, i found out it was due to Degenerative Disc Disease (mostly those who ever had this DDD, will eventually developed different kind of pain on related body part). I still cant stand longer than 10 minutes or will feel numb sensation all over the left leg, cant run, cant stretch, cant jump, and cant hold heavy object. I stopped badminton for few weeks BUT no healing result at all. Then i began slight exercise (badminton, of course) by playing with gramps or intermediate players (just to get sweat). I can feel it slightly better than when i rest doing nothing at all. I expect this annoying left to get completely heal before the end of this year. And when it does, i'd just prepare for the next pain that will come next year.

You can google "Degenerative Disc Disease" and all its post-diseases that will follow up. That might prepare you for what's to face next.

PS: your shoulder would probably heal by itself within 2~3 months, as long as you dont excessively use it (hard smash, typing for long, holding & lifting, push up, etc that involve bicep)