Sprained My ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by detailermart, Oct 16, 2015.

1. detailermart

detailermart Regular Member

Profesional Detailer
    Hi, Last night i just sprained my right ankle...it really hurts...is there any suggestion what i should to do to get it better fast? and i feel a bit sore on the joint between my right arms and shoulder?

should I use ice for those two injuries?

Thanks in advance

2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Yes use the RICE method.

Sprains are very common in badminton due to the lateral movements and sudden change of movements. Make sure when you play again after it gets better, your shoes are fitting correctly and you have tightened the laces so that the ankle part as little movement. A friend of mine sprained his ankle last week and it was because his shoelaces were too lose so his foot was moving in the shoe.

All the best getting better.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Only use ice for the first few days after the injury for the swelling/pain. It actually slows down the healing process.

4. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    i'm one of those people very prone to twisting ankles. is there any swelling? if not, best to just let it rest for a few days at least and make sure to minimise movement with an ankle brace or some other form of support. avoid massaging it by all means. I never used ice on my ankle injuries. even when its no longer painful, give it a few more days before you play again to let it fully heal. if there is swelling and a sharp pain if you move it a certain way, get an xray to make sure theres no fractures.

when you start playing again, use an ankle supporter to avoid putting strain on it after it just healed. as Ajay mentioned, support in your footwear is very important and could be as easily fixed by making sure you tighten your laces properly. in some cases, you could be better off with getting better shoes with adequate lateral support or a firmer body. I found it very helpful when I switched from light shoes to a more rigid pair. some shoes are also built higher and those will give you better ankle support. I would say proper footwear is just as if not more important than your racket.

your shoulders should heal faster than your ankles. normally, these are just muscle strains from excessive playing or wrong movement. it's quite rare to seriously injure a shoulder joint. just give your body enough time to recover and heal itself.

5. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    Thanks Ajay for the reply. i really appreciate it. yes you are correct, when my ankle was sprained, my shoe lace was not tight enough. next time i ll need to retight shoe laces during the game.

6. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    thanks robert. i didnt use ice. i just used balm to keep it warn during night

7. detailermart

Profesional Detailer
    Thanks for the thorough explanation quagmire ... luckily swelling didnt appear on my ankle.. so i just dipped my feet with warm water n salt...
    agreed on idea of investing more on shoes... thats what i do.. i prefer very nice and suited shoes than fancy rackets :D..

I am having routine sport massages every two weeks to relax all my muscles especially should joint :D

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    You can get ibuprofen gel, that will help a lot with the swelling and pain. As a gel it's more localised to a specific area.

When I sprained my ankle, I wore reasonably tight socks to bed, and for a week I kept my ankle elevated as I slept - again it seemed to help a lot.

Make sure you have a support.

Not just good badminton shoes, make sure your normal shoes are good as well. I pronate a lot as I walk, so I wear a triangle off of my shoes in the back corner, and this means that my ankle dips more. Since spraining my ankle I bought new every day shoes too.

When you go back on court, avoid stress positions (such as really deep lunges).

Maybe use a spray on bandage like deep heat to keep it warm.

Avoiding putting direct pressure on the area (as quagmire said don't massage it).

After my last sprain, I'll always be wearing a support on the badminton court. It was the 2nd time. I did it once, thought it was a one off freakish thing, and maybe 5-6 weeks later I did it again. Maybe you'll want to avoid a repeat and start wearing a support straight up.

9. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    this used to be me some years ago because i sprained both my ankles, one after the other just barely recovered. i had them on both ankles every time i play which was quite often so i had a few sets of them. i used the tall adjustable neoprene type so using them wasn't too much of a chore. the lace up ones with hard plastic inserts provide the best support but take forever to wear properly. the elastic pull up ones are only good with recovery and you can still twist ankles while wearing them on court.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I use an elastic one with 4 straps. 1 across the bottom of the foot, one around the base of the leg/top of the ankle, and two joining them together in an 8 pattern.

11. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    like this? http://www.muellersportsmed.com/archive/ankle_support_adjustable.htm

i have one of those in my bag right now from when i rolled my ankle earlier this year.

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant