11.8MM Base, 12MM Clamp

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Dokkie, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

As the title says, my Tyger base clamps only support clamps up to 11.8mm, however I got myself the Superstringer Universal clamp which are 12mm. Would there be any way to make these fit, there must be, it's only 0.2mm? My first option would be to widen the base, 2nd option is to file down the clamp post. How would I be able to do these and what would be the best option? I'm pretty desperate, your help would be greatly appreciated :D

2. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    i have had the same problem.i have choose the 2nd option as to file down the clamp post. But you need to find someone working with metal. 3rd option is to find clamps with 11.8mm. :)Gamma machines have clamps with 11.8mm. But they cost 120€.

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Unless you have access to a lathe, or can buy 12 mm clamp tubes to fit your bases, you're out of luck.

4. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I own the Gamma 6400. I'm pretty sure Gamma clamps are 12mm because that's why my Toyozouki clamps (12mm posts) fit into the Gamma clamp bases.

5. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

So I contacted a metal shop and they said they would be able to drill my bases to 12mm, so I am going there tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to do it. It will cost me 35 euros, which is okay for me. In the future all 12mm clamps will fit, so I think it's a good solution if I ever need to replace my clamps again :D I mean you never know, I might win the lottery and the Toyozouki's will be on there way lol.

6. Stein_r

Stein_r Regular Member

employee
    if i were you, i would also take the clamp base to the metal shop also. By that you can be sure that they don't drill to much.:) Otherwise the shaft of the clamp will tottered. Really annoying.

7. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

Thanks for the tip! I was indeed planning to take my bases with me, as well as my new and my old clamps, better to be safe than sorry :)

8. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If it's only 0.2mm, I would try and do it myself.

Try and fit the post in a power drill (might need an adaptor) secured to a bench vice and put a use some aluminium oxide or silicon carbide sandpaper to gradually sand down 0.2mm away. A file might be too coarse and remove too much material quickly.

But to be honest, I would have thought that there would be some play clamp to accommodate the 0.2mm - have you test fit them?