Stringing Turnover Rate

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Loki7950, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    Hello

The title can be misleading but to clarify, How often should I change my string?

I want to be playing competitive A/B men's doubles in the east coast. Current I have the two victor JS 8 models and use them interchangeably depending on the circumstances whether I need to smash more or play defense.

String: Victor vs 890 JP both at 23x25lb while skipping the third line when doing the cross

I can string my own rackets but I feel every time I do I wait until the tension falls in order for me to better use it.

I want to use stick with the 23x25 or increase the tension because of faster speed performance. In stock I do have bg80, Ashaway F 69, vs890, bg 65, and nbg95. This topic points out different questions so feel free to ask. Curious to learn more

#1 Loki7950, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    If you can afford it and/or have the time to string, you should string it whenever you feel like it for whatever reason. It's not a waste of string if it mentally helps you be more reliable. Because if you end up second guessing whether or not you should have restrung during a match, you are setting yourself up for a loss.

3. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    你说对了。 If I have the luxury to string my rackets or perform better results, I should take the opportunity and experiment
    Thank you. Don't know why I second guessed myself

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Basically, as often as you can afford.

If you're mega-rich and/or own your own machine, go nuts.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I change every 7-21 days depending on string which means 3-9 training seasons, 1-3 league games and 1-3 social sessions.

My schedule:

Mon: Training
    Wed: Training
    Fri: Training
    Sat: League game
    Sun: Social games

IMO I go nuts. Normally I go for something between 30 and 32 pounds. IMO it's up to you. I decided that fresh string performs better and with a fresh job I feel a bit more on fire.

IMO you should go for BG80. It's the string which last for me around 2 weeks. BG65 needs every few days a restring. NBG95 feels quite dull for me, so I didn't strung it and ZM69F don't impresses me. ZM62 is actually my way to go with a few exceptions. 3.5€ per string and 30 minutes work.

6. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    Very Impressive!!
    I am really inspired of your badminton layout and dedication for the sport.

But I need to ask you, what kind of exercise would you recommend if I was trying to use higher tensioned rackets.

I have a friend who recc. using bg80. What your thoughts about the string??

7. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Improving technique is by far the most important thing to handle high tension.

BG80 is a good and ever popular string. It's very hard feeling, powerful and gives a good amount of control.

#7 mikomi, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    IMO BG80 is a great string, but actually I'm cheating with ZM62 and BG80 Power. BG80 is powerful, has a nice coating and holds tension pretty well.
    IMO it's not a good aim to use high tension. If you are happy with anything lower, stick with it. I think if you want some experience with higher tension go for a BG65 job first. BG80 will wreck your shoulder and forearm. For the cold winter here, I also go for something softer.

I can just tell you that I'm pretty focused on my technique. I also train my forearms and shoulder. I can't tell you a way, because it develop for me over a long time. My swing speed got higher and so I needed higher tension. I also feel more comfortable with it and love the control. I'm not a powerhouse or so. If I get the same feel and benefits with 20lbs, I would use it, but actually this is my way to feel good.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This was also my experience. I remember using lower tensions and difficult to use higher tensions. Then I put in an intense period of improving technique. After that, it's not difficult to use different strings at different tensions (of course, each type of string has different minor characteristics).

10. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    Today I just strung my bg80 string with 26x28. Personally I loved using the string. It was almost like a miracle landing every shot. My drops were so accurate and placement got so much better. Smashes were powerful but hasn't proven effective compared to the Ashaway f69. It does lack repulsion but the control was a huge plus.

In comparison to the BG65 I would say it's almost like a heighten version.

I am very keen in getting back into action because it's been at least 2yrs since I played a real tourney. Addreline addict I guess. But badminton comes so naturally it's hard to question why would I stop. Plus I am still young so live before those pains kick in.

Right now my exercises are soldier squats twice a day when Badminton is off the radar. Pushes ups here or there to help with my shoulders. And leaning against the wall to help with knee problems.

Anyways why do you suggest softer string during the winter is it because strings break easier b/c of the cold??

11. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    I would agree every string has their own personality and technique goes a long way. But I will also take consideration with more technique exp., having higher tension rackets becomes easier to use.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm not quite that mental:). I train six hrs a week, with some league matches dotted around, and normally go through one string job per 24 hrs of play.

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    During hot summers the shuttles fly faster. Even if you bend the feathers, they still fly faster. During autumn and winter, we have the season for league games and a lot halls are much colder than I'm used to, so I string 1-2lbs lower or switch to a softer string. My muscles are also a tiny bit slower during winter, so I just want to be on the safe side. I'm not afraid of breakage.

14. ninja801

ninja801 Regular Member

wow u guys restring so often... im getting my racquets done about every 3 months. currently using victor 850 and gosen rx4. i play socially for 2 hours every second night. but probably a b-c level though

15. Loki7950

Loki7950 Regular Member

Student
    I'm thinking restring in my racket in two weeks bc my bg 80 I just strung yesterday lost its tension and doesn't quiet feel so good. Needed to 26x28 or higher