Stringing at lower tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lucent, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I couldn't find a thread on this so could anyone link me if this already exists.

I'm kind of a beginner-intermediate player so I want to play with a tension of 22 or 23, but the frame I'm looking at right now (LiNing N55 III) has a tension of 24 vertical and 26 horizontal. Can I string under this tension? Thanks for any responses.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    You can go lower, but honestly, those frames suck with low tensions.

My N50 III came with NS 95 @ 20lbs or so, and it wasn't very usable.

3. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

Are you playing with plastics or feather? Ideally, you should string your racquet at a tension you're comfortable with.

You may consider stringing your racquet at 19 or 20 pounds, if you're playing with plastics. If you're playing with feathers, 22 pounds should be okay. Again the choice of string tension depends entirely on you!

24 vertical and 26 horizontal is the maximum string tension you're racquet is warranted for. Anything beyond these tensions will void your warranty.

Hope this helps.

4. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    [MENTION=120700]Charlie-SWUK[/MENTION]
    Hmm, interesting, I might have to reconsider my frame choice then since I was also thinking about the ArcSaber 11 or something of that sort that can be strung at 22 with no problems. What happens with this frame when I string it at lower tensions? Is there some reason why it sucks?
    [MENTION=121762]BadSID[/MENTION], I meant that the tension range is 24 - 28 and 26 - 30, so I was wondering what the effect of stringing under this tension was. I play with plastics most of the time since I'm still practicing, is there a noticeable difference between 20 and 22 pounds? I've played with rackets that had 20 pound strings and 22 pound strings, but I couldn't accurately find any difference because I was still improving. When I use my friend's racket stringed at 23 pounds, it feels okay, so I thought I could use 22.

5. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

A tightly strung racquet will improve the accuracy of your shot, but on the flip-side your racquet's sweet spot (optimal hitting area) will shrink. At higher tensions, in the range you cited, you're likely to struggle to generate power from your racquet. Playing with plastics requires you to lower your tension.

So playing at 22 or 23 pounds should be alright, if you do not experience any corresponding loss of power. If you cannot feel the difference between 20 pounds and 22 pounds - I suggest choosing the lesser tension. It'll be kinder on your elbow and shoulder. As you get better, perhaps you can experiment by increasing your tension.

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I dunno why, like I said my N50 III just didn't perform well with low tension strings. After I upped the tension on my strings to 25x27, it performed wonderfully.

With regards to feeling the difference in 2lbs, 20 -> 22 isn't a huge leap. It's very difficult to accurately 'feel' a tension, you get a pretty good idea of if it's lower or higher than what you're used to, and you could probably take a good swing at what it's done to based on that knowledge. You get more of a different feel between two strings.

7. xeoreg

xeoreg Regular Member

I have the Li-Ning N55-III racket. To be honest, nowhere on the frame does it say anything about the recommended tension or the maximum tension limit. Different websites like mybadmintonstore and shopbadmintononline have different recommended tensions for this racket as well. Mine was initially strung at 23lbs and it felt good from what I remembered, but I got used to playing with a higher tension on my other rackets and eventually had to restring my N55III so I could use it effectively.

Now, I'm not a very good player, still learning and trying to get better. This racket only comes in 3U and it is very head heavy balanced. If you mainly play singles this shouldn't be a problem but if you play doubles a lot you may find that you get fatigued easier from wielding this racket after a few games.

Tension is also pretty personal, go with what you're used to on your other rackets. There is a difference between 20lbs and 22lbs, but most beginners I've seen here seem to be able to handle 22lbs without any difficulty or soreness, playing with plastics too. If you're not sure what to get I'd actually recommend to get the Yonex BG65Ti strung at 23lbs. This thick string loses tension early on and then stabilizes, with a good stringer it should feel around 21lbs after the first session. If you're going with a thinner string (by thin string I'd say 0.67mm or less) then I'd drop the tension by 1lb so 22lb would be an ideal starting point.

That being said, if you really like the racket and if you have the money, then just buy it and enjoy yourself! I know I did. :D

8. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    Hmm, thank you for the reply. I think I will get the frame and string it with either BG65TI or BG80 and try it out.

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Those are the Li Ning recommendations.

I should also state that I found the extra 2lbs on the cross made a large difference to the playability of the racket.

25x27 was better than 25x25 for me.