Do Strings Make a Big Impact on Game

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Hawkefire, May 11, 2005.

1. Hawkefire

Hawkefire Regular Member

Hello, I know that there are different types of strings out there. Does the type of string you get make a big impact on your game?? Also, what do the different types of strings do??

2. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    It affects how much power I have to put in for touch strokes. The feeling is different, the feedback I guess... The vibration I get back I think. Some strings feel really "slippery", like on cut net shots.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, the type of string does affect your shots. But the string tension is much more important.

4. krantikt

krantikt Regular Member

I am a very defensive player, and to me it does make a considerable difference what string I use and at what tension. I am just an intermediate player. I am sure it makes a bigger impact as you get more tighter with those net drops and smash defense just over the net.

It is the bounce and feel of the strings that changes.

As Kwun points out in one of his articles, I think the string and its tension are much more important than the racket itself.

5. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    In my experience, Gosen and Yonex's strings are totally different. It is easily to adapt between BG65 to BG85 (except BW470 and cyber natural), but it is very difficult to adapt between Yonex and Gosen.

The impact of each components for me will be as follows:

String Tension > String Type > Grip Size > Racket Balance > Racket Weight

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

To a certain extent, then yes, I'd say it'd make a bit of a difference. Certain strings are designed for certain factors, i.e. control, power, durability.

Most professionals use BG65 or BG65P which are basically two ordinary types of string and they're competeting at an international level so don't assume better string will drastically improve your skill.

7. StrikerCase

StrikerCase Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer, Researcher
    String and player feel

"To a certain extent, then yes, I'd say it'd make a bit of a difference. Certain strings are designed for certain factors, i.e. control, power, durability."

After betting with other guys on what is the exact string tension. I had stinging couple of Yonex, Gosen, Wilson, Dunlop myself and findout some factor about string. Lost the bet on string tension keeping time:crying: , But learn some information as

Can player tell the difference?

I had read an article about in 2001 a lecturer at University of Technology Sydney, Australia, test player with same string but five different tension want to see how well player could pick the difference in tension, they were instruct not to hit the strings. After testing 41 different players it became obvious that they were not very good at picking differnce. More than half could not pick up 25 % of tension differnce??

Tension drop after string?

Except natural gut, string are made of long chain molecules polymer, even at normal tension of 25 lbs , it will drop 1-2 lbs tension in 1 miniute. this is called "creep" :mad:

Why you prefer certain string? or Shuttlecock/racquets?

Please correct me if it is not what you think.

Power or Control is general hold true but the standard also varies from people to people. We are traind to react, It becames obvious, based on our training, experience, and reaction, etc. If we were trained by using nature gut and wooden badminton racquets our power, Control or Reaction time will be different from people trained with graphite and nylon strings. Right?

#7 StrikerCase, May 12, 2005
    Last edited: May 12, 2005
  8. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

jeez, the tension drops so fast??? :eek:

9. StrikerCase

Tension keeping time

Sadly Yes. However, after one hour. The tension will be keep for long time. with constant temperatuer and moisture

Regards,

Mark Lin

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

maybe less.
    I think this picture (or the data) is sourced from Ashaway.
    I got it from grandslamstringers.com
    It refers to Tennis string, and apparently gut rather than nylon. How similar gut and nylon are in this respect, I don't know.
    The curve on the right was added for illustrative purposes, to show how individual string tensions would equalise fairly quickly during stringing even if you took a short break in the middle of stringing.
    i.e. tension a few strings at 60lb. answer the phone, talk for a few minutes.
    those first few strings will have then relaxed by several lb. Then you carry on tensioning the rest of the strings.

Attached Files:

11. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    At higher tension, after a strong smash by a heavy smasher, the likelihood that the strings got dispositioned will be less, giving consistency in string structure, directing the bird to a expected location, giving better control when smashing.

12. Jansenkzh

Jansenkzh Regular Member

It does get loose after awhile, infact every sec or everytime you hit it with something. It is advise that you string it at a higher tension but not very high incase it get looser.

13. StrikerCase

Gauge difference?

Thank you for the Help. Even I had lost the bet. Hope you can helping me findout following question.

(1) Is the chard based on single string or on a normal string bed?
    (2) Is it on Badminton racquet or Tennis racquets? Badminton will be about 12mm thick while tennis can be 20-30mm thick?
    (3) Tennis normally play with 16 gauge (1.35 mm) while badminton use 22 (0.7 mm?) or smaller 22 micro. I think this can make a lot of difference on tension keep

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you use consistent pulling machine or pre-stretch the string, I doubt it will drop tension this fast. There's no doubt the string will tend to lose tension faster in the 1st few days than later on. I will say, drop 1-2lb (assume about 10%) in the 1st 72 hrs or so.

15. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

No idea how to answer your first question but the answers to 2&3:

It's tennis string because:

And also the tension is ~62 pounds which is ideal for tennis racquets. So therefore, this test was done with a tennis racquet and strings.

16. StrikerCase

String Tension

Thanks for your help. It answer some of my question

17. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

It is almost like asking "do tyres make a difference to formula-one racing".
    You bet it does. And by the same token, the type of string, tension and the way you use the racket contribute to your game. Experimentation is the best way to find the ideal 'settings' for best performance.