2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Just recently Susi Susanti said that Nozomi reminds her of herself back in the day. Short with wonderful retrieving skill. Even though Nozomi's game has more attack than Susi's. Nozomi (and also Akane) prove that retrieving game (when it played flawlessly) is still very much effective against attacking player like Marin or Yihan. I remember some said that typically retriever like Susi or GZC will not survive among current top WS as WS now plays more like MS.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is quite interesting for you to mention that.

in the old days, Gong Zhichao loses against Ye Zhaoying, almost every time. yet, Ye Zhaoying loses against Susi, and then Susi vs. Gong is maybe 50/50?

Gong does have great record against other attacking players like Camilla Martin though.

3. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Indonesian women singles legend are mostly typical rally-retriever player, like Susi, Sarwendah, even Mia Audina is not an attacking player, rely more on deception and attacking clears. I don't remember how Verawaty plays single but I heard she is an attacking player.

After almost 20 years, not having top 10 material WS, some start to argue that Susi's game plan is not suitable anymore nowadays then we need to train our WS juniors more into attacking style. OTOH, many of these girls -inspired by Susi or Maria Kristin-tend to naturally play more rally game.
    Whatever it is, hope Indonesia can find new talents in WS soon.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It's already so interesting that a red card was issued at 17 -17.
    Imagine what would it be like if the scores were 21-20 in favour of NO.

I mean in favour of NO not WSX.

5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

After watching the replay of the WS final, I feel that the umpire was a bit harsh. WSX did just what so many other players do, specially in a final like this, but it seems that the umpire felt he had a point to make and lost the whole picture.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Steen also commented at the end of the match that WSX should stick to her flat drives to the back corners, which did bring her most of her points. I agree with his view, it seems the right tactic.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Flat drives to the back corners gives NO less time to react. High lobs to the back gives NO enough time to return with interest.

NO also sent many forehand net clears out to WSX's left baseline, about 4 to 5 points.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    tall players usually have back pain.

9. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    Generally speaking, one could feel that the officials were tougher on the Asian players than their European counterpart.

I think this is because the European players sometimes come across as warmer-tempered on court, has more angst and anxiety in their body language and court mannerism, definitely hungrier, and able to communicate better with the officials and hence more effective in ridiculing them when decisions do not end in their favor.

The reason I say this is because I was reminded of the Marin-NO semifinal
    when both players were shown the yellow card. It was obvious that the umpire had allowed Marin (or maybe she couldn't care less) to towel down but stopped NO from doing so. NO signaled to the umpire that look Marin is
    already toweling down so let's be fair here and she proceeded nonetheless. At this point the umpire took out the card at NO without hesitation. Then he realised (consciously or subconsciously) that to be politically fair, he has to show the card to Marin as well - no choice.

From this incident, I doubt that if NO had obeyed the umpire, Marin would be shown the yellow card alone for her conduct. At most, another verbal talking to but definitely no card to Marin. In other words, the card to Marin was flashed out only because it was instigated by NO who herself had to suffer one in return in order to voice her grievance.

In general therefore, this seems to suggest that it's physiologically easier for the umpire to fault or show a yellow card to the meeker Asian player than not - particularly in Europe.

Just a thought for all to ponder.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    maybe they will build a computer who can beat Lin Dan one day!!

[video=youtube;9kFdm5xZdzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFdm5xZdzM[/video]

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that just give a whole new meaning to: "nice guy finishes last..."

ps. joking aside, I tend to agree with you. even though it doesn't quite illustrate the fact that NO can redo her whole shoelace without problem while WSX got yellowcard for mere fingernail malfunction.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Interesting observation from tsae75.

Regarding NO and WSX examples, maybe because both are from Asia? :D

13. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    My wife was telling me how irritating that could be - think of a thorn in the flesh kind of irritating. I think that distracted WSX more than the red card.

Japan has more western traits and similar political ideology than China is a fact.

#613 tsae75, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Wow, this thread is still going? Haven't read all the posts in the last day, but there seems to be a lot of angst about WSX's red card still. At the end of the day, if you're going to cry over one point and blame it on that for your loss, you're obviously not that much better than your opponent anyway, if at all.

And what's this with implications about WSX getting red carded just for her finger nail biting? It wasn't just because of that - it had been building up for a long time. Please re-watch the match for those who don't think so. The umpire had warned WSX at least 20 times before that. The fact that she received a yellow card first effectively proves the repeated offences. People's biases are so strong sometimes that it blinds them to obvious facts and truth.

Okuhara and her shoelace? Sure, if she did that 20 times, then of course she'd get a card. Get over it.

And China fans being China fans trying to find any excuse to downplay Okuhara's achievements in the last 6 months? Sad. Really sad.

Anyway, hope that stirs up some more discussion hehe. All the above was written impromptu in about 40 seconds hehe.

Bohy likes this.
  15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You are a freak I must say! Japan is not more western, and umpires are not more strict on Asian, and to propagate such baseless rumours is just plain racism

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even i wonder what all these excuses are for, when the player actually done the wrong thing. Nozomi tied shoe laces and umpire warned her for that. It's finished. Wang shixian had been warned countless of times even before she was given yellow card. Nozomi already started to come back from 14-17 down to equalise the score 17-17. At that point, if anybody watch the recorded match, you would clearly see that Nozomi is ready ,waiting and waiting and Shixian was buying time and the camera has clearly focussed the shots towards Umpire and audience.
    You can see, Umpire waited for some more time before taking decision.

And for European umpires taking side of European players , i would say it is simply subjective. One year back, @ German Open finals, Carolina Marin was awarded 2 red cards , which i would say is simply unbelievable. That unusual decision was taken by an European i think (certainly not an asian umpire). Then, Why so drama here? .

I just wanted to recall the incidents occured @ German open finals. So,I just revisited those old pages of this forum in the finals where those who criticised Carolina marin for buying time , certainly did not blame Umpire . They are totally in the flip side of their own posts. I just wanna post the link here.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ion-to-FINAL-(24-February-1-March-2015)/page7

Better to look their own posts before posting here. Simple 'U' turn.

Be with it. You wasted time, you was given red card. Simple logic. It is not an exception for even 2 time world champion.

#616 Baddyforall, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Bohy likes this.
  17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

am i right to assume that in OLY players from the same country will be placed (not drawn) to opposite half of the draw?

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I doubt so. Most likely based on world ranking (and seeding) as in normal tournaments. That's only fair.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

put a clock on it could solve some of the problems, apart from the serve below the imagine last rib!

20. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

unless they'd changed the rules for the 2016 RIO