How to get your kids to be more motivated or disciplined when training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by *chance*, Mar 18, 2016.

1. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Hello everyone!

So I wouldn't call myself a fully fledged badminton coach yet, but I help out at my club quite a bit with training the kids (we really only have kids and older adults, only very few in between, including me).

What I'm constantly struggling with is that a number of the kids just either don't seem interested, can't concentrate or try to discuss why we have to do a certain excercise and to be honest I'm getting tired after a while and that of course reduces my enthusiasm when coaching.

Because I don't feel like my effort is appreciated and I start to not give a **** anymore.

I don't know if it's because of the times we live in or if the kids here in Germany are just different than e.g. kids in Indonesia or Thailand. When I see training videos from there and all the kids are so eager to train and play Badminton I get super jealous.

Of course I don't expect every kid to be a pro and there will always be ones that are just there to play a bit and meet their friends, but it gets problematic when that starts to effect the kids who want to improve or are talented etc.

It's gets extra problematic when the kids start hitting puberty and try to talk like adults to you and often in my mind I'm just like "Just shut the **** up, stop commenting every shuttle you hit and just do your excercise for as long as I say you should." I don't say that of course.

Since we don't have a lot of coaching stuff (somtimes only 2-3 people for around 20 kids) it get's difficult to give them the proper attention, especially when there are 7-8 year olds who need more attention and 13-15 year olds. The older ones should be able to do some stuff by themselfs, but they also lose concentration or start talking with each other, like they haven't seen each other in years, or make a break and look at their phones (we have to keep the phones in the gym, because in the past some things were stolen in the locker rooms). Maybe we should collect all the phones at the start and give them out when they leave.

I don't know how to describe it, if kids here just have too much freedom and don't respect elders enough or what it is.

But do you guys maybe know some tips to get more of the kids to actually do the training and not just do the exercise, but actually concentrate on it and not forget everything they just did after 2 minutes? I mean it's probably just me, but it feels like every second kid is hyper-active here anyways, but that's beside the point. It just get's frustrating after a while and we have talked about it with them before. They try to do better for that traning session, but everything starts again the next time.

I'm grateful for every help. :)

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Difficult problem!
    You might try to first do something very physical for the older kids. The more they are unruly, the more you can give them this type of training. Actually, doing footwork exercises is also very good for their badminton.

One thing you can do is put the kids in competition during those physical training. For example, if you put five shuttles on the side lines, and make the kids take the shuttles on one side on deposit them on the other side, you can do on each side of the court, in two teams facing each other, relaying, in a race. This might motivate them.

Sometimes footwork exercise is so hard it quiets down the kids in a quick way. It's what the military call drilling.

Kids in China sometimes do not touch the shuttle during the first year of their coaching, only doing footwork exercise.

Maybe this is not something you can apply in your context though.

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    There's no magic bullet. We have similar problems in the UK. I just focus more on the ones that want to improve and make sure they're getting the most out of the session.

4. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Thank you guys for the tips. We have thought about similar stuff. We'll try to implement some harder exercises in the future, so that they don't have the breath to talk about other stuff or that they have to concentrate.

The ones that just refuse to give some effort can't be helped and we'll just let them play on the courts at the side and let them be. That's kinda what we've been doing anyways.

It's just a shame when you don't have at least that core group that wants to do well and takes it seriously and pushes each other forward. But no they would rather be cool, write on WhatsApp etc. instead of putting more effort into it. At the moment I only have one kid with any realistic chances in tournaments if he has a good day.

It's just difficult, but you have to make the best out of what you got. :)

If you guys have any more ideas for specific exercises, I'm open for anything.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    If the exercise is too hard they'll quit anyway. You're gonna need to balance it out.

6. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Yes that's true. I think the whole making the exercises kind of like a comptetition thing seems to be a good solution, because then they at least have a goal to work towards. Otherwise I don't think they really care, because there is nothing really at stake.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I'd like to look at this with a whole different perspective.

I believe kids are lazy to train and don't like to work hard is not because it is not fun or it is hard. I truly believe these days, they don't like it simply because there are easier and more fun things to do, yes, you get it, playing games on the ipad. As long as they have the option of sitting around in the comfort of the couch and have so much fun just tapping their fingers, it will be hard to drag them out of that zone and make them sweat and work hard, or even focus on thinking about badminton with their free brain cells.

And I am talking about it with my own experience. And yes, it is hard to change and fix.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    @kwun
    I'm not that much older, but eventually they'll understand they've spent their whole lives procrastinating with foolish toys instead of daring to acquire new skills and hone themselves. It's a shame that they don't want to work hard; and yes I've heard similar complaints, 'Why do we have to do this' 'What's the point' 'This is hard', and I can understand why you're tired of it. Think yourself lucky, my head coach caves and just lets them play games.

They never end up practicing properly. But what can you do? If they don't want to put the effort in, they won't get the rewards.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    adding some positive tone.

in a local club there is this coach, a pretty senior guy (probably in his 50s) who used to be a high ranked junior player in Thailand. he coaches my kids. He also coaches some high school kids whom I had the chance to observe as their class follows immediately after my kids.

he is strict. very strict to these kids. he make them show up 10 mins before class and have them run around the hall for different types of warmup. he made them do physical, shadow, rope, pushup, sit up, burpies. the class is a mix, some of the kids are pretty good, some are quite so so.

what really was interesting is that, while there are some groaning, there isn't anyone who really rebels. they all follow the coaches instructions. while some are more sloppy, most are quite hard working.

mind you these are not national level kids, the national level kids plays a few courts away trained by a ex-Chinese province player. and those work even harder and have extremely impressive techniques.

i don't really know exactly what makes it work. The coach is certainly very strict, he scolds the kids (but no yelling), but he also has a good amount of humor. he connects with the kids well. These mostly Chinese kids which no question was sent by their parents so they can get some training during the weekend instead of well, you know, sit around and play ipad and games with their peers.

I also notice that there are a few students who are especially motivated. I think that helps sets the tone of the group as well.

sorry no magic bullet, but some data points to ponder about.

10. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Haha thanks for being understanding, I see kids in kind of the same way. Of course it shouldn't be negative like that ,bu twe also have to face the truth that kids can be very lazy. A lot of them.

It's cool that the kids at your club are so eager to train and improve. It's good if you have some of them who are like that, cause it effects the other ones and maybe don't want to seem lazy compared to the others. I'm not really a strict person (I can be quite lazy myself), so I don't think I could be the same as that seasoned coach.

I'll just have to find my own way. Maybe I can't be friends with everyone, but I can at least be a nice person, so that the kids perhaps try their best for my sake. We'll see if it works, otherwise I need to try a different approach. :)

11. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I sent my boy to holiday intensive program in Malaysia last Dec. There were like 10-12 of them (age 6-8) in a group coached by a female coach. The warming up and foot work session was lead by an older boy and I found it to be quite effective, the younger one seemed to be more discipline under the guidance of their senior. When come to hitting, the lady coach was furious. She yelled into the face and grab by the collar. 10 push ups as punishment if fail to deliver as told. Coaching is easy.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

That style may work in Asia but not in Europe or North America. ;)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    In the US, I have seen pushups being used, but not yelling at the face.

it also depends a lot on the parents and the kids.

14. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

That is why i have to give equal amount of Ipad time get him into the court. And he rolled over the floor whenever I gave him drop shot and reply "hey! LCW gets on to the floor when returning also dad" I wish I am in Malaysia when come to badminton coaching.:p

kwun likes this.
  15. pizzaboi

pizzaboi Mizuno
    Brand Representative

Brand Development
    It pretty much sums up about the importance of the coach.
    I believe that a coach, whether paid or freelance, the challenge of facing different kids is inevitable.

More importantly, the vibes of the coach rubs off the students. Like you mentioned,

" The ones that just refuse to give some effort can't be helped and we'll just let them play on the courts at the side and let them be. That's kinda what we've been doing anyways. "

If i am the student, well every week once or twice in this gym, facing this instructor who dont involve me, i dont give a **** anyway.

Find a chance to find out why they are not putting in effort, and start catering to their needs.
    I would think there is no one fits all regime.

The problem can be either the same old boring regime, or the same old-boring-couldnt-care-less instructor that i cannot wait to get off my mind after this 2 hours.

Communication is an important factor, kids being kids, make it fun.
    They'll come round eventually.

Afterall, we do get under-appreciated all the time when we are adults, what more for kids.

kwun likes this.
  16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i'm in my 30th year of coaching. the most important thing i learned is you must set the tone with the parents from the very beginning.

i tell the parents and kids up front, together,
    • if your kid doesn't want to be here, i don't want them here.
    • if your kid doesn't try, i won't help them.
    • i refuse to waste my time on kids who would rather be somewhere else, doing something else.
    basically i'm letting the parents and kids know i am not a baby sitting service. it's the parents job, not mine, to make their kid happy by putting them in a sport or activity they like.

#16 samkool, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    mehmeh and Cheung like this.
  17. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

The thing is I do try to involve everyone. But a lot of these kids have been here 3-4 years+ and more. At some point I just don't have the time and energy anymore to try and care everyone the same amount, if I see that I get nothing back.

I know that part of the fault also lies within me, that at times I maybe wasn't as enthusiastic as I should be, but it is difficult to be, it really is.

Also I agree with what samkool said. I can't be an entertaining service to get a few hours passing by. I want to help the kids get better and of course having a bit of fun while doing it, but I simply don't have the time to intensely care for every single kid after a while. Of course I will try it, I don't give up on someone after 1 or 2 training sessions, but after a while if I don't see a change, I simply have to move on, so that the training for the other kids doesn't suffer.

I'm aware that I need to change my training methods, to keep the kids interested or get them interested again, but I won't accept that the problem lies solely with me being the same boring coach every week. It's true that a lot of kids see the opportunity to play on a Badminton as a right and not a privilege. It would probably different if we only had 1 or 2 courts and not everyone could play at pretty much any time.

I have some ideas on how to change the training and I'll see if that works. If not I'll just have to try something else.

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Sometimes it can just be how you approach them.

One coach was working with two people, trying to produce a good smash. He was getting very frustrated because the kid kept saying "I can't do it" (and we knew full well he was capable). So I took over and the other coach went to focus on someone else.

I corrected him trying to hit too low, made him get behind the shuttle, and told him 'Show me the good ones, I know you can do them, so show them to me'. After a few tries he started producing better results. He responded to the positive reinforcement that he could do the shot, rather than the negative reinforcement of 'Why aren't you doing the shot'.

From there his effort improved in the session.

While @samkool may have a very disciplined method, as do some of the Chinese coaches described here, I've also seen what happens when kids get stressed out. They have their parents telling them they aren't doing well enough, and it really hits their mood and motivation. It's really important to balance things out, and have discipline without being punishing for genuine mistakes or errors.

Cheung likes this.
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's not disciplined. my main point is why i tell them. when you tell the parents and kid at the same time, in front of each other, there is no confusion between them about what my program is about. it's about the attitude you bring. after they are accepted, hilarity ensues...

20. *chance*

*chance* Regular Member

Hello,

I wanted to revive this thread to give an update on my current training situation and what I'm still struggling with.

So in the last 2-3 years we have had a pretty good group of kids where about 90 % of them were at least somewhat motivated to concentrate on the training.
    We also had a period where we had 3-4 coaches at every training so we could split the kids up pretty well.

2 of those coaches since then have not been able to make to the training hours, because of work and other things.

So if everything works we currently have 3 coaches for 15-25 kids (it can change a lot of from week to week).
    Sometimes it's just 2 and at times I was on my own with up to 20 kids in the last weeks.

At the moment my father and me (he is the head coach) are a bit lost where to go from here. Our best players (13-14 years old) had some okay results in the highest tournaments in our state, but that is mostly because the quality has dropped so much (compared for example to my generation, I'm 28 years old). It's not their fault I know, but they wouldn't have had a a shot at winning anything had they played like 10 years earlier.

But in training from them we don't see any commitment or eagerness to really get any better. We hear it at the tournaments when they come up against any of the acutally good players, who play at national tournaments, and get trashed, but we then don't see it in training.

We have a number of young newer kids that started in the last months and some of them have some potential. When I'm alone I have to focus on them, so I give the more experienced players some exercises that they know. I try to check up on them if I have the time, but sometimes I can clearly see they're doing something else. We also didn't always train as hard as we could when I was younger, but at least we made it look like we were and weren't so obvious about it.

It's just really disappointing, because I know these players could be better, but I don't see a lot of effort and I wonder if it's my fault.

Maybe it's just things like puberty as well? (Girls laughing or giggling after every mistake their partner makes or guys and girls play-arguing with each other, sometimes across 2 courts etc.)

We try to tell parents of new kids that join, that we are a club that trains to play tournaments and not just for fun, but with older kids who join, because of friends or classmates, we often never see their parents.

Another problem is, that a lot of the younger kids will obviously watch the older ones and pick up some of their bad behaviour, which we try to remind the olders kids of, but they forget about that, when the next training session comes.

Maybe a problem is also that the monthly fee for our club is very low. It's 5 € for kids. In bigger cities it can be 25 € a month.
    5 € for 4 hours a week, so roughly 16 hours each month.
    So that's maybe why a lot of parents aren't very strict on their kids attendance, since it's not that much money that's being wasted.

I didn't want to ramble in this post, but I tried to put as much information in this post as I could.

Of course I don't think it's just the kids fault, we aren't perfect coaches either, but I wanted to see if anyone has some idea how to get more energy, enthusiams or drive into these kids to get more out of them? :)

nokh88 and kwun like this.