Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Good luck hope she continues to win more gold medals.

2. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The down side of losing 6 kg is she have less power, but the upside is she is moving faster and less strain on her feet. She seems to liking it.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Less power?! Have you seen those massive abs she gained despite losing weight overall?

Looks like she got rid of quite a bit of 'baby fat' that she was carrying around last year and replaced it with serious muscles. Should indeed be perfect for her knees feet that have constantly been causing her pain over the years.

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    TTY said she has less power after losing weight. The article you read is from her face book.

#464 latecomer, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  5. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    *sigh*... Her technique is just breathtaking. She is such a breath of freah air compared to the other female players.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So true. Would be enough for me to have only 10% of her deceptive abilities or just a little bit of her punch clear.

I'm so happy to see that she is back to her late-2014 performance, although she lost against a brilliantly playing RI today. It was an awesome match to watch these two - everybody who claims that women's singles matches are boring should be shown today's match.

I think TTY learned a valuable lesson too - hard work is rewarded in the end.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

So close, but she really has to cut down on her many unforced errors.

s_mair likes this.
  8. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The problem with Tai Tzu Ying is that she is simply not a winner. This is not meant to be a derogative statement but a down to earth assessment of her on-court performance so far in her career. There are players who win ugly. Tai Tzu Ying tends to lose pretty.

Playing playground soccer, we probably all encountered people who are more interested in dribbling the ball past defenders than winning a game. Tai Tzu Ying would be one of those.

Tai Tzu Ying is certainly an asset to badminton. She is a legitimate first class player (although not in the top tier) and she brings fun and joy to the fans. However, in terms of winning matches and especially winning tournaments, she has performed below her capability.

In order to win more, if that's what she wants, she must adjust her mental attitude towards the game such that she can make more effective choices between flair and mistakes. Until then, she will always be a threat to even the best players but can hardly put her own hands on the winner's trophy.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I will always prefer to see her playing her typical risky but entertaining all-or-nothing game and losing like she did today instead of seeing her winning in a raging, screaming, ugly (dare I say Carolina-style? ) or in a controlled but boring manner. For me that is what makes watching her matches so special. On a good day, she can beat the crap out of anybody in the Top 10, on a bad day she might lose to qualifier.

What I fully agree on is that if she manages to become only a little bit more stable mentally and more disciplined strategy wise (and to reduce he the number of unforced errors significantly...) she might be able to score a lot more wins like the ones we have seen the previous week. I'm so looking forward to seeing what she will be able to pull off in Rio.

10. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Amazing abs!

[​IMG]

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

...and another ab-update. Maybe someone can put all the available pics together and create an animation:

[​IMG]

Very remarkable how much weight she lost since end of 2015. I hope she won't overdo it and suffering from loss of power and stamina. There is still a looong season (and Rio) to come.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hate to judge from afar... But I worry that she looks too thin.

Look at her collarbone and shoulders: Where's the muscle? Is she focusing too much on low percentage body fat (a look desired by people with body dysmorphic disorder) rather than pure fitness?
    Always wishing health and success to TTY.

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Fully agree that she's starting to look borderline thin. I sincerely hope that she has a competent team around her ensuring that she doesn't get lost in a kind of low-body-fat madness. Time and results will tell if she's on the right track or not. Fingers crossed - I still have her on my list to come back from Rio with a medal hanging around her (thin) neck. ;)

cylhh likes this.
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Unless that photo is photoshopped, I know we don't want to spell it out, but that surely looks like anorexia.

Hope her coaches and peers around her quickly help her sort that out with her.

s_mair, blabl and Rob3rt like this.
  15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I'm worried about TTY since a year. This excessive show-off of her abs on FB for likes and attention is nothing what I expect from a female pro. I think she has a disorder and maybe a mental-health problem.

Since I watched her games, she was always this girl, which looked very slightly chubby, but always looked really happy. Actually she is still smiling on her pictures, but I believe that she is sad. I hope that I'm wrong, but I think that actually the sun don't shine for TTY.:(

16. jctai

jctai Regular Member

According to her own words, she never looked like that on a normal day. The pictures that she posted were after some intense exercises and before rehydration. Athletes make their own choices, we could only cheer for them on court.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Actually I noticed too that something has changed in her behaviour and her appearance on court during the her rather unsuccessful '15 season but couldn't really point the finger at it. But the more I think of it, the more I think you are on the right track here - she somehow lost her happiness and the lightness.

On the other hand and looking at it from a professional perspective, there just had to come time when she and her coaches realized that it won't be possible to stay around the world's top 5 just because of her incredible racket skill talent alone. And sadly, more professionality and more hard work go hand in hand with an athelete losing the pure fun in his or her sports a lot of times. Amongst top atheletes, that anoxeric look can be seen in several other sports too - just look at ski jumping or sports climbing. Those guys and girls there seem to consist of bones, muscles and tendons only.

Leaving aside the fact that I have also preferred watching her happy (slightly chubby :p) pre-'15 self on court, the results in the previous tournaments show that judged by results alone, she is not on the wrong track. With the competition in WS being as crazy as it is right now, she managed to beat a lot of the top seeded opponents in a row. From what I recall there is only RI and CM missing on the list. And even if I don't like to admit it, her performance and speed on court seemed to be better than ever. I would love to see her winning a medal in Rio and that this will hopefully bring back her happiness again. :)

18. snowandlights

snowandlights Regular Member

LCW seems to have anorexia too...

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Incredible display from her at the Indonesia Open - congratulations! When her game works it's just amazing to watch.

s_mair likes this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Fully agree. Her performance during the whole week and especially today was stunning. Just a joy to watch.

And the best thing: I think she found her smile again!

#480 s_mair, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Fidget and blabl like this.