Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I still can't believe,why Uncle Loh came up with this. Absolutely shocking.

I just wanted to point out something which I noticed today watching it on youtube.

2. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

There were some journalists watching the in-team competition but they only knew that LD and JXP were shouting at each other. I think it's quite possible that team staff asked the journalists to leave when the quarrel started. Typical Chinese way,like let's close the door and solve our own problem. So none of the journalists really knew what happened later and when one of them reported there was fight,they all might think like 'yep that's quite possible' and then the scoop spread.

Justin L and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hope you will do more to present the picture of LCW and Marin too then ;)
    Especially their long list of controversies that average badminton fans would not know about

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Korea is the no.1 famous for the worst line calls in the history of myself watching badminton.

Many of the calls by their patriotic line judges are beyond horrendous and normal bias.

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Rofl that picture of him "assaulting someone" wasn't even assault it was a heated argument after being cheated by one of the worst line calls you could imagine and being taunted by a sniggering Li Mao who hates the CBA after being kicked out.

Please be more subtle with your words.

6. volcom

volcom Regular Member

It should be equal for every player with regards to bringing up negative criticism , and it's unfair that only Lin Dan gets all all this negative criticism cos he's the best.

Like they say "They hate us, cos they ain't us"

It ain't his fault that he's won nearly all that most would dream of ;)

If he was Malaysian, I won't imagine what his status would be now.... considering LCW is a Datuk for winning silvers.

Justin L likes this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

When you start winning the most medals in the history of your country, you can start trash talking about LCW then....if one's Gold, not Silver, of course ;)
    On a side note, that picture was taken when LD tried to actually physically assault Li Mao. Tried to being key here (no actual physical contact), but he was definitely not just 'discussing heatedly'.
    Admittedly that line call was the worst I've ever seen, but at the same time a grown up person (especially one representing something, like their country) should show some more composure than that in the face of irrelevant pot shots taken from the side line by a coach...

It is ancient history at this point, though. I haven't seen anything unsportsmanlike on LD's part since his comeback.

8. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Yea and if someone has won as many medals as LD then they can trashtalk too ;).

Li Mao was not liked by anyone hence he's completely out of the picture now, which is a good riddance.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Following Uncle Loh's repost (don't know if this has been posted here before), Lin Dan on the meaning of all his tattoos :

Power

Love

Belief

Family Love

Courage

On Lin’s left upper arm is a tattoo of a cross that represents his bond with his Christian grandmother, who took visited him twice a week at the sports school where he lived from the age of nine. The five stars on Lin’s lower left arm signify his historic “Gold” Grand Slam, when he earned an Olympic Gold and four worldwide titles in one year. The tattoo on his upper right arm reads “Until the end of the world”, the theme song from Slam Dunk, Lin’s favorite anime film. On his lower left arm are the initials of his wife Fang Fang, herself a former world champion. Lin’s own initials, topped by a lopsided crown, are on the back of his neck.

In the main thematic film, the tattoos come to life as Lin plays badminton, wordlessly illustrating five, interconnected stories of power, love, belief, courage and family support. Lin’s voiceover dedicates each tattoo as its story unfolds: “To my grandmother, the fire in my heart and my greatest weapon,” he says, as the cross dissolves into an ink animation of elderly woman giving a small boy a racket, and throwing him high. In another scene that plays out on his set of tattooed stars, a badminton player wins a mighty figurative battle against five hooked chains, only to suffer defeat in the next game: “To my past, where my glory is not just winning, but in rising every time I fall.” A woman hands the defeated player a new racket, takes his hand and, together, they soar past obstacles. “To Fang Fang, my source of strength and my greatest happiness,” says Lin.

In five other interview-style films, Lin himself tells the story of behind each tattoo, and describes how they remain symbols of inspiration both on and off the court. As he talks, the ink comes to life through animation, adding an emotional and visually-rich layer to his words. “It’s not the results,” he says. “At the end of the day, it’s your attitude that really matters”. The tagline: “Belief that comes from within. Look inside.”

#7249 badlove, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Let me declare that I do not hate LD. He is a very good player and being a badminton fan, obviously I like good players, especially those that can become excellent role-models to our young. He is also a good entertainer in his younger days - a rare combination which excites the badminton world. But he also has his faults and despite his abilities, he is still human and experiences the occasional defeats on the courts.

So claims that he is the greatest badminton player in history, I don't buy, simply because man's history is still evolving and we should expect better players to emerge, maybe not in our time, but in the future. But if someone were to say that LD is one of the greatest players in history, that I can agree.

Perhaps we can also say the same for LCW, Rudy Hartono and a few others from different eras, including the ladies, not only for their badminton prowess but also their conduct on and off the courts. That is why I say we should have a more balanced view and not wholly one-sided. ;)

jma97 and nokh88 like this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When Peter Gade called Lin Dan the greatest MS player in history, he is not talking about the future (how could he or anybody, for that matter). Of course, it's always possible for someone to emerge in the future to surpass him in achievements and be regarded as even greater, who knows. But's that for the future. Up until now, Lin Dan is The Greatest of All Time - he is simply the only one deserving of this claim by us , OK, I speak for myself.

Actually, in my humble opinion, when Lin Dan won his second Olympic gold, he is already the undisputed best Men's Singles player in history. Remember,Peter Gade called him the best in history even before London 2012. We also know several great players themselves are in agreement he is the best ever, surely their opinions count for something.

Never mind, I'm not keen to start this debate,needless, because I believe I'm in good company.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

12. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Yeah we need role models who do has not had a positive drug test failure, we need role models that don't get caught doing illegal gambling, we don't need smoking, partyi animals as role models, we also need role models that don't screams like a pregnant woman when opponents make mistakes, doesnt return the shuttle properly after losing a point and throws uncontrolled tantrums when she loses.

I guess we need more emphasis of the negatives for every player just to "balance" out the threads.

Zezevii and Oldhand like this.
  13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    My role model is Kamchatka Yamada Harrison.
    He didn't smoke, didn't drink, never gambled, never raised his voice, didn't ever argue, never wagged a finger, never leered at anyone, never dressed sloppily, was always on time, didn't ever push for a shuttle change, never challenged a line-call even on match point, and also respected everyone and everything around him.

If you have never heard of my hero, that's probably because he never won anything.
    Not even his first and only badminton match.

But he is still my hero.
    Exemplary gentleman.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Either he has no character or he's a sage. But what's a sage doing on the badminton court? Shouldn't he be living a hermit's life or giving speeches to enlighten mere mortals like us a la Laozi or Kongzi ? It was recorded that Kongzi (Confucius) was so fascinated by Laozi that he compared him to a dragon which glides on the winds and through the clouds in the sky.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

The only reason people hate LD and bring the incidents of 7047748 years ago is because he has denied every single monumental glory to their hero.

The more LD win,the more uncomfortable these people get. Bringing the Li Mao incident is as pointless as accusing LCW for doping. There is absolutely nothing wrong in both the cases....

But funny enough, how these people say they don't hate LD.

Pirayeba67 and laivc like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On the one hand, they say they don't hate Lin Dan; on the other hand, they continue to make Freudian slips.

Pirayeba67 and laivc like this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

But But arrogant, Li Mao, punched his coach...LMAO

Untitled4.png

18. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

Man in warmth:D
    Those new Chinese expressions always bother me a lot.
    For those who don't understand Chinese at all, 'man in warmth' means a gentleman who is very well-mannered, kind, considerate, and charming. The way he treats you makes you very delighted and comfortable.
    According to my personal experience LD is a man in warmth indeed.

19. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Cg5C9rZUUAEouRD.jpg Cg5C-8RUoAA4Q3s.jpg

I think the Super Grand Slam is his milestone as the greatest player ever.

taken from Wiki :
    "Considered by many to be the greatest singles player of all time, by the age of 28 Lin had completed the "Super Grand Slam", having won all nine major titles in the badminton world: Olympic Games, World Championships,World Cup, Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, Super Series Masters Finals, All England Open, Asian Games, and Asian Championships, becoming the first and only player to achieve this feat"

Not to mention since his comeback from rank 268,789,657 of the world post London Oly 2011 he already got 1 WC Gold, 1 Asian Games Gold, 2 BAC Gold, 1 All England Gold, 2 SS titles (AO and JO). LCW surely won't breath easy as his nightmare is showing strong will for a hattrick.

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    What would people say if LD win gold in Rio.