Choosing my second badminton racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Lucent, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    Hello again guys,

You guys helped me pick out my first racket, and I have enjoyed the Brave Sword 12. I've been playing a lot of badminton, and it's starting to feel like I should invest in a second racket in case my string breaks in the middle of a match.

I'm mainly a doubles player, and I love back court play, drops, smashes, etc. So I was thinking of something more head-heavy this time. Preferably from victor because I have the full shirt-shorts-shoes set and it would look cool and organized.

Here's the list of head heavy rackets I'm considering:

1. Meteor MX 90 or JJS (both I heard are very good).
    2. Thruster series, maybe the 8000/9000.
    3. Li-Ning N55-III or N99.
    4. Yonex VT-80 or Yonex ZF2

Any other suggestions will be considered, thanks for any responses.

Edit: I know the Li-Ning N99 isn't technically head heavy, but I think it looks awesome. If there's enough benefits I might consider it.

#1 Lucent, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

The JS10 is a very popular high end Victor racquet, but doesn't fit the head heavy bill. That said its very fast and doesn't lack power.

On your VT80ETN/ZF2 selection, I would consider the original VT80 instead. The VT80ETN doesn't come very well reviewed compared to the original, and the original VT80 is less demanding than the ZF2, and you may find the ZF2 puts you off head heavy given that is one of the most difficult head heavy racquets to tame (smaller head size, smaller sweet spot, head heaviest, and stiff to boot). The only other YONEX racquet that comes head heavier is the original ZF, and that one is a proper beast - even LCW had problems adjusting to it.

I don't have much experience past YONEX. Hope that helps a little.

Sianturi likes this.
  3. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    Ah, I see. Thank you, I'll edit the original post. I don't have much experience with Yonex rackets. I will edit the post.

4. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    A rule of thumb for a second racket is to get the same racket as your main if you already like it. Switching between two rackets during a match that are different can result in premature string breakage.

The MX90 and the JJS are indeed head heavier than the BS12 however the shaft is a notch or two stiffer. I have both and the JJS is heavier in weight overall. BS12 has average shaft stiffness so before you commit, try them out.

IMO, out of the MX's and the Thrusters, the Thrusters would be a better fit. Shaft stiffness is not as stiff as the MX's but are head heavier then the MX's. They are quite fast as well.

5. Lucent

Lucent Regular Member

Student
    I have tried the MX90 before, but it wasn't exactly the most comfortable time. The more I look into the thruster, the more attractive they are. Now I'm debating whether to look at the 6000 or 9000. Mixed reviews everywhere.

6. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

The TK9000 is rated medium stiff I think but plays a touch stiffer iyam. I've never played with the 6000 but it's definitely said to be a true flex shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

TK9000 is significantly stiffer than BS12 so I would say you will be better of with the TK6000 if you have to decide between the two of them. What could also be interesting is the JS Ahmad or the TK Onigiri. Or if you are not in a hurry and want a true beast, then maybe it will be worth waiting for the re-release of the TK9900?! :)

But be warned - switching between rackets with such different specs might be causing more issues than you currently think. Coming from a phase in which I switched between JS10 and a TK9000 and VT80 let me tell you that you will always need a couple of rallies or even up to one game until you get your timing re-adjusted.

IMO you have already own one of the best (some might say the best) doubles rackets available so my question would be at which aspect you expect a head heavy racket to improve your game. You might achieve a tiny, tiny bit more power on big smashes with enough preparation time, but you will certainly lose a lot more in almost every other aspect of a fast doubles match like fast flat play, all sorts of half smashes and of course in defence. And besides, placement and angle are by far much more important than sheer speed in a smash.

8. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

Those are the exact three rackets I'm switching between currently. 3u TK, and the others 4u. I think going from the voltric to the JS10 or vice versa is the biggest difference. I'm waiting to see the new JS12 but will probably get another JS10 afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. KingLCW

KingLCW Regular Member

Student
    U shld try a head heavy racket to play doubles first before u buy, borrow from friends or whtever, coz hh racket sometimes not too good for drives, unless u can handle it
    If not the js10 or z speed would be good

10. bunge1980

bunge1980 Regular Member

Postman
    I have the tk6000 and its truely a great racket, i find it fast and powerful so it wouldn't let you down.

11. selasarorg

selasarorg Regular Member

zf2 for sure, i think for second racket u can really different, more powerfull racket and good swing, its suit for double

12. selasarorg

selasarorg Regular Member

zf2 for sure, i think for second racket u can really different, more powerfull racket and good swing, its suit for double