VTZF(old) 4U user, looking for replacement as a double player.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by weingseen, Apr 27, 2016.

1. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Hello guys, as VTZF 4U is getting harder and harder to get by days I have decided to get a replacement racket.
    I will be getting 2 of the same racket once I made up my mind.

At the moment, I have a VTZF 3U in my bag as a spare but that racket is a disaster for a double player.
    Current racket is a VTZF 4U 28lbs Zymax65.

Do note that I have the luxury of visiting a local Yonex store to dry swing the racket but I can't be swinging all the racket, right? :p

My game play, I'm mostly at backcourt doing smashes.
    I have tried a couple of lighter racket (Ti10 3rd gen, Arcsaber tour66 or something, some APAC racket) and to my surprise my defense has gotten alot better.
    I can tell that my smash are not getting that powerful but the trade off IMO is worth it when it becomes a fast paced game.
    Drop shot couldn't be execute well due to sudden change in racket weight. but I believe some practice would overcome this matter.
    Backhand and forehand lob are not a problem.
    My shot was faster and suddenly the front court became my killing point.

Anyone who had experience of using HH racket but decided to change to lighter racket, what were the racket you pick? Currently, I have Arc11 and Duora10(LCW) in my mind and that's provided Arc11 is not sold out yet. At the moment, there are sales for Arc11.

I'm open to any brand if I could find it nearby my area but at the moment Yonex seems to be the most feasible choice.

bridgestone likes this.
  2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Well, you have more choices than just the D10. You have the D7, D77, and D88. They're all middle of the pack rackets.

3. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Yes in fact I actually have alot more choices but considering price is not a factor, I'm keen on getting D10 rather unless people could convince me otherwise. :D

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Depends what balance you want.

HH to HL D10 > D88 > D10 LCW > D77 > D7

Remember they're 3U and not 4U.

5. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

That's helpful! Now I will keep those in mind when I visit the store.

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah, you might decide to go for something much lighter than the ZF2 4U.

Arcsaber 10 and 11 are still good choices. The Nanoray 900 might also be suitable.

I'm guessing you want to stick with Yonex for convenience of the store.

7. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

I decided not to stick with Voltric any more, I do love my ZF 4U though but my arm doesn't seems so...

Arc11, NR900, D7, D77, D10LCW.

There's still some plenty shop nearby me but of course I'm sticking to Yonex due to convenience.

8. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Just check with my local store, NR900 out of stock. I'm quite saddened with it because I was contemplating to get this one after some forum survey...

9. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
    Get a duora 10. I came from a zf 2 too. It is quicker and easier to use while maintaining a loud and sharp smash. Also, terrific for angle drops and netshot.

10. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Thank you for the input, may I ask if there's any other racket you used before to compare?

11. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Today I went to my usual stringing store and they had D10, D10LCW, D77 and NR900 3UG4.

Since I had my vtzf4u with me, I was able to compare between these rackets.
    D10 and D10LCW gave me the impression of similar weight while dry swinging. D77 was not much of a difference too.

These Duora rackets were merely lighter compared to my vtzf mainly because my VTZF had an overgrip with some residual sweat from yesterday game....:oops:

But the most appealing racket among all of these was the NR900. It was really light and fast. No HH feeling but it was in G4 which is not my cup of tea after applying over grip.

So far, I'm leaning towards NR900. I have yet to try an Arc11 and a 2U NR900.

12. skid101

skid101 Regular Member

My D77 has just been dropped off. I had it strung with ashaway 66 fire @24lbs, no overgrip. I'm yet to weigh it but the racket is alot more HH than I thought it would be. BP was 308mm. This thing is supposed to be even balance! It seems like you are use to stiff rackets so Arc10/11 and NR900 seem to be your best choices.

13. KingLCW

KingLCW Regular Member

Student
    If u r a hard hitter, better consider the z speed or the victor js10
    If not nanoray 900 is a good choice, feel softer while hitting although it has a stiff shaft
    If u consider victor's racket, the bravesword 12 is a good racket tbh

bridgestone likes this.
  14. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

No Z Speed, I really had a hard time using it. Totally dislike it.
    Was considering 2U NR900 since I'm used to HH, I THINK the weight would be ok to me, no?
    BS12 was part of my consideration too but getting the blue one in my area was a let down...

15. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

NR900 is the way to go. Not quite head light, it is more towards even balance to slightly head heavy depends on how you put the grip on. I am switching between VTFZ2 3U and NR900 in double play. 2U NR900 or 2U D10 is great idea if you can wield it. I am thinking of getting a 2U D10.

16. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

Switching in between game is what I usually don't agree with unless from a HH to HLighter but still not encouraged cause to be honest for me, I will lost my touch with the racket.

Even if I were to get D10, because it gave me a HH impression(even balance to HH) I would never get a 2U. My 3U VTZF was my sole
    mistake for high end purchase(I had 2, broken 1) just because I thought I would had hit harder compared to a 4U but I found that I hit harder with 4U because I utilise alot of my forearm muscle.

Though, I would try to dry swing the 2U D10 just to make sure I does not really want it.

1 thing for sure, I would never group 2U D10 with 2U NR900 even I have not try it myself(but I tried the 3U version) but maybe 2U NR900 with 3U D10?

I really appreciate what you guys posted here.

17. KingLCW

KingLCW Regular Member

Student
    If u found VTZF 3U difficult to use then u probably get the 3U nanoray900 or 3U d10
    The D10 LCW looks good btw

18. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

The VTZF 3U is HH that makes it hard to use but I simply need to try out the 2U just to make sure.
    I certainly agree with D10LCW looking good, among the reason I'm leaning towards it too! :cool:

19. weingseen

weingseen Regular Member

I think I should at least update my post here.

In the end, I purchased a NR900. Actually 2 of it..
    Here's my 2 cent.

Coming from VTZF 4U and transiting to NR900 3U, I thought it should be a breeze but frankly speaking it wasn't.
    Having clocked around 6 hours, I have yet to achieve a really good gameplay with headlighter racket. Please note it was relative to my VTZF.

My lob to baseline wasn't good enough. My smash is not that powerful. Actually everything is just bad except for my defence which I noticed marginal improvement due to faster swing speed.

I'm suspecting I'm still not used with the swinging speed hence the timing issue. I doesn't hit the frame, just not hitting accurate enough on the sweet spot. Another factor could be the string from different stringer. I could see a lot of movement on my NR900 even with 28lbs Ultimax while my VTZF stayed almost perfectly aligned most of the time. Comparatively, NR900 doesn't feel like 28lbs maybe few lbs lower due to softer bed string.

During game play while using NR900, midway through the game I decided to change to VTZF and to my surprise my hit was better, way better.
    It is then I noticed that because VTZF is head heavier, I tend to exert lesser energy. I'm not sure if I'm comprehending it correctly but I find it easier to hit with VTZF than NR900.

I'll give in more hours to NR900 and come back with a more conclusive update to my transition.

20. 7171_tomas

7171_tomas Regular Member

I had the same dilemma few months ago. ZF 4U with ZM 62 or 65 was for me to slow for MD, XD. I was not able to find anything in Yonex range (Duora that time wasn´t out). Did not like AC 10 or 11, NR800 was nice, but no power and NR900 way too stiff. So, I tried JS10, nice but also no enough power for me, so I end up with Onigiri 4U. The best compromise between power and speed, actually it is very fast. Only after that I tried Duora10 and it was probably the best one from Yonex , I have tried, but not better than Onigiri (my personal opinion). Onigiri is a flexi racquet, so for some good players with very good technique it is not the solution, but for me it is fantastic. Speaking about feathers Oni+ZM62 at 27lbs. With plastic I can see a different set up.