Any tips and advices for stringing a AT800,NS7k,8K?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vmtien, May 4, 2005.

1. vmtien

vmtien Regular Member

Besides the differences that a string in at800, NS7K, 8K has 4 knots and that the way the net hanging to the racquet, are there any others differences? (i.e in the tension of the main and cross? the sequence of stringing...)

Any tips and advices for stringing AT800, NS7K, 8K? Anyone can help me?

Thank you very much,

VMTIEN

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe the AT800DE and OF, Nanospeed 7000 and 8000 all share the same stringing pattern, with 22 mains and 21 crosses, mains tie-off at bottom grommets 8, starting knot of crosses at top grommet 5 and finishing tie-off knot at bottom grommet 6, located to the opposite side of the starting knot. All these racquets should come with a coloured stringing pattern sheet. Please note that there are a few top corner grommets, traditionally shared by two strings using one grommet, are single-pass grommets. I have seen stringers making a mess of this.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I know they messed it up with pre-string. However, even that, the gromments are sooo small for 2 string, and very close to each other. Wonder how an experienced stringer ever make a mistake like that- mis counting? :rolleyes:

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Until recently, I have not come accross any AT800, with the exception of those strung by Inskysport and me, that have been correctly strung in Hong Kong. Almost all AT800 that I have been asked to string are wrongly strung. Yonex in Hong Kong (Seth & Co.) was aware of this and has now included a coloured stringing pattern sheet with every AT800. But you get a lot of Thailand AT800 here and they come with no stringing sheet.
    The problem is not confined to AT800. Almost every Yonex racquet here is wrongly strung. The main culprits are the coaches who string for their students. I see a lot of these coaches and talk with them about stringing. Frankly, I am shocked by their non professionalism when it comes to stringing. :(

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What did these coaches do? Aren't their string jobs playable?

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    The stringing pattern is also included in the 2004 catalogues at least-- though I know some stores in montreal still mess up, even though the catalogue is right there on the counter.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Some of the sloppy stringing things coaches here do include the use of strange stringing patterns that have tie-off knots at grommets #11, #12 or even #13, having the first cross string almost at the top of the head, extreme low tensions of 15-16lbs with life-long warranty, almost zero-compliance with any Yonex recommended stringing patterns on Yonex racquets, very loose tensions on the two side main strings and the first and last cross strings. The worst part is the poor playability of their stringing, despite the use of some very good strings.
    Just a few days ago, two of my friend's friends asked me to restring their AT800OF and AT700. Prior to that they were using the stringing service of a coach who also owns a store. They were using BG85 and were used to 23lbs tension. These two powerful men are very hard hitters. I was surprised to find both their racquets were not strung the Yonex pattern, with the starting and tie-off knots all over the wrong place. I also found out that both the racquets were at least 10g-12g overweight at the handle because of the addition of a replacement grip over the original grip. I restrung their racquets with a lower grade string, with a slightly thicker diameter of 0.68mm, at a higher 25.5/28lbs tension, but I did not do anything to their overweight handles. When I returned the racquets to them yesterday, they were amazed at the power of the racquets which they never had before. I believe the transformation in the power of the racquets, despite the use of a more inferior string to BG85, lies more in the higher tension as well as the more appropriate Yonex stringing pattern. They were even more shocked when I told them they could unlock even more power if they just threw away their two grips and replaced them with one replacement grip. Shouldn't a stringer at least point this out to his customers?

8. li_ka_shing168

li_ka_shing168 Regular Member

student, restaurant manager (millionaire LOL)
    Hey can someone tell me what should be the tension of the cross if i put 22 lbs main on a NANOSPEED 8000 ( Is it 2 lbs more then the main like all other rackets or is it different because it is nanospeed?) .
    thx in advanceLi Ka-Shing

9. Ti-10

Ti-10 Regular Member

Sorry newbie here.. Just wondering what sort of equipment do you use to check if the handle part is overweight? Thanks..

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    If there is supposed to be a difference, none was specified by Yonex as far as I know. It should still be between 1-2 pounds more.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Just use a digital scale. If the racquet is a 3U it should weigh 85-89g, you add another 3.2-3.7g for the string, which should give you a total weight range of 88.2g to 92.7g. Almost all 3U racquets I string for people would weigh 100g to 119g! :D

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You can find the recommended mains/crosses tensions either in a sticker on the cone or in a Yonex badminton racquets chart. :D

13. JCanada

JCanada Regular Member

My first stringing on a NS8000 is 1.5 lbs tighter on the cross (main at 22 lb). On my next stringing, I intend to string it back to 2 lbs tighter on the cross, just like my Ti10s.

IMHO, I don't think the tension differential between the main and cross is dependent on racquet material, unless you are exceeding the manufacturer's recommended tension limit on the cross if you string them 2 lbs tighter than the main.

As you may know, one of the reasons for stringing the cross at higher tension is to better match the final cross and main tension after the whole racquet has been strung. And most people find that a 2-lb differential seems to provide that match. So regardless of the type of racquet, if you like the feel of a 2-lb differential, I would suggest you maintain that.

14. dannyh246

dannyh246 New Member

IT Application Developer
    Just has a brand new Nanospeed 8000 re-strung to 24lb. Anyway it broke within two weeks at the very top of the head. I sent it back to Yonex and they said the re-stringer had restrung it incorrectly. Apparently the Nanospeed's should be restrung with 2 strings not 1. Can anyone confirm if this is correct and if so how di tell if it has been restrung with 2 strings?

15. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I think the standard Yonex recommended stringing pattern for all of their badminton racquets is a 2-piece pattern. Go to http://www.yonex.co.uk. They have a GIF file that shows you the exact pattern.

In a 2-piece stringing pattern, there'll be 4 tie-off knots (i.e., 1 for each end of the strings). In a 1-piece, 2 knots. Anything other than 2 or 4 knots basically means that the stringer's broken the string in the middle of stringing and rather than cutting it all out and restarting, s/he's just tied the broken piece off and continued with another piece. IOW, it's a patch-up job.

16. flighty

flighty Regular Member

Hi dannyh246,
    Sorry to hear about the break in your new racket, yes, it is correct that the nanospeed 7000 and 8000 should be strung with 2 strings, this information would have been included in a leaflet that should have been included with the racket, did you read it? My best buddy also had an identical problem with his NS8000,the first time he played with it, a crack appeared at the top of the head,and within a week or 2 the racket had "crumbled". I hope you get a replacement, unlike my best bud who has had to shell out for another racket.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I don't think the crack on the NS8000 racquet top was due to 1-string stringing. It was probably cracked when mounting the racquet on the stringing machine improperly. If the machine used was a suspension mounting one, the crack could have been caused by stretching the racquet beyond the limit when mounting and securing the top and the throat posts. If the machine was a hold-down mounting machine, the top and throat mounts were probably not aligned properly when tightening them.
    Don't blame the use of one piece stringing for the crack.