Drive shot - forehand or backhand swing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by s6edge, May 31, 2016.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

I was taught to use backhand form to drive.

Now, I see most players use forehand swing to drive.

Which is the correct form of drive shot?

#1 s6edge, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

A drive is a fast flat shot just above the net tape, usually hit with speed from mid court to midcourt. Whether it's hit with backhand or forehand is irrelevant.

decoy and MSeeley like this.
  3. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Hmm, Is the question which grip to use when your being aggressive & coming into the net playing drives trying to get a net kill?

If so. I guess it depends on what your comfortable with.

In training you have to practice both grips as it depends on which side of your body the shuttle is approaching from but there is a point where you have to swap over.
    From what I've understood the mechanics of taking a drive when it's right in front of you is better to have a backhand grip as the thumb gives more leverage and you can generate more finger power, this gives it more of a jabbing motion & prevents your racket dropping due to overswing.

However, I know plenty of people who only attack at the net with forehand grips and they're able to go lean over/ go round the head for drives/kills.
    It all depends on how fast your reactions are & how sharp your technique is.

I've also seen the emergence of the pan-handle/universal grip being touted as an option to allow a snap smash if the shuttle is a bit high. Different coaches will advocate different techniques depending on experiences and if they keep up with current trends.

s6edge and decoy like this.