BS12L 3U or 4U?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jlimzq, Jun 2, 2016.

1. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

Hi guys, I'm pretty set on buying a BS12L, but can't quite figure out the weight I should be going for. Let me explain why:

First, I am primarily a doubles player that plays singles on occasion. I am very comfortable at the net, but want to have a racket that will be good to use in partnerships where I know I will be doing most of the backcourt smashing. Aside from the occasional weird body shot, I am pretty comfortable defending smashes from my opponents. I think I read somewhere that the ideal doubles racket is light(4U) but on the head heavy side. I think the BS12L fits that criteria, based on the few reviews that I've been able to scrape up for the BS12L.

Secondly, my current racket is a Yonex 70DX - 4UG4, stiff, head light (but feels more even balance because of the overgrip) @25lbs, which is fine, but I am in the process of trying out different racquets and styles. Unfortunately, I cannot do what most players here suggest - which is to test out other club players' racquets to come to a decision on which feels better, which is why I'm bringing my question to the forums. Here are my options and the reasons behind my dilemma.

BS12L 3U - Currently leaning towards the 3U because I think I should be able to get a slightly faster smash speed from a slightly heavier racquet, but since none of my peers have a 3U I can test, I am a little worried that I may not like it in the end. I have no idea how well I will do at net play and at defence with a 3U.

BS12L 4U - The obvious no-brainer if I'm pretty sure 3U is gonna be too heavy for me in doubles (which I don't know) or simply a bad choice. In that case I'll just rely on the sword technology thingy to help me get some nice fast smashes off.

BS12 4U - Just thought of this as I was typing. Maybe there is something about the BS12 that makes it a much better choice over the BS12L? From what I've been able to gather, the BS12 is more towards even balance where the BS12L is leaning towards the head heavy side. When I compared both racquets' specifications (taken from Victor's website), I found that they were exactly similar, which proved rather confusing.

Thanks in advance for all the help! Badminton Central is the bestest badminton community out there!!!

#1 jlimzq, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

My understanding of the BS12 is that the 12 is the normal one, the L has a thinner grip which of course changes the weight/balance but it should still be the same racket otherwise and the N which is like the 12 but I heard it might be ever so slightly heavier/stiffer. But like not by much. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I have a 3U/G5 BS12N and I find it fast enough for doubles (pretty much all I play). I also sometimes use a much cheaper Nanoray 10 (4U) like when my strings break on my BS12N and I don't find the additional speed makes any kind of difference. I think it's generally accepted that the BS line is fast because of the frame shape so it would move faster than your typical 3U.

The shots I miss on defense with the BS are cuz of my lack of accuracy not speed, I'm pretty sure.

3. tonny_hawk

tonny_hawk Regular Member

I also like to know more about these racket since got my eyes on it. I really confuse with BS12, BS12N and BS12L. What is the different between that.
    I looking for new racket. Recently i broke my ZF2 4U. Mostly i play double with it. I know it for single play but very fit for me. What i really looking forward now is lighter racket to keep up with fast pace and less power racket. Because i need to strung 27lbs my ZF2 to make my hit not out the court. So i looking less power racket that i need strung 24lbs max.

thanks to anyone who can give me advice.

4. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

BS12: The normal one that everyone likes.

BS12N: The re-released version that might be very slightly heavier/stiffer (but if you played with a ZF2 the very slight increase in stiffness from the BS12 shouldn' be an issue)

BS12L: Thinner grip that the BS12 which could affect weight/balance.

Like I said to the other guy, I don't think a 4U version of the BS12 is necessary. I don't have a strong arm or anything and I find the 3U version is plenty fast for doubles defense. Your arm is probably stronger/faster than mine if you were playing with a ZF2 at 27lbs.

5. tonny_hawk

Thanks man. You clear my mind.
    But few hours ago i go to my local store to asking this racket. But i got bad news. They said victor not manufacturing it again. Is that true? I even try to contacting few online store and all have have the same answer "out of stock. And doesn't really know when it available again."

6. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

It might be out of production since they introduced the Jetspeed line but a lot of online stores still have some version of it. I don't know what websites you guys use for rackets in your part of the world though so I can't help you there.

The JS10 is another very popular racket from Victor. It's stiffer than the BS12 (probably not by much) and the head is smaller/shaft is thinner but apparently it's very fast and produces a lot of power. It comes in 4U and 5U I think. I'm guessing 4U is the heaviest because the head is smaller so it inherently is going to weight less than other rackets.

7. jlimzq

jlimzq Regular Member

I read somewhere else in the forums that the smaller G6 grip makes the racquet lean towards the head-heavy side

I ended up ordering the 4UG6, contrary to LordGopu's suggestion. Personal preference I guess. It was originally out of stock at the online store I wanted to order from, but they contacted me shortly after via email saying that they received a new batch of 4Us that I can now buy. If you are alright with international shipping, here are 2 online stores you can try
    http://www.badmintonavenue.com/ (ships from USA)
    http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/ (ships from Hong Kong)

8. tonny_hawk

I have my eyes on JS10 too. Plus friend in BC also use and recommend it too. But it out of stock also in my local store but available at online. Well i think it more wise to feel the racket before you buy it. Especially with that price point.

Thanks for the help man. But i gonna give up on BS12. With that price at those online shop, is better for me to buy JS10 or back to ZF2 again.