The business of feather shuttlecock

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by cooler, May 17, 2005.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton proves a lucrative game
    By CNN's James MacDonald in Guangzhou
    May 16, 2005

(CNN) -- If you've ever played badminton, chances are you've used the product that made Anthony Chau a wealthy man -- the humble shuttlecock.

His company, DH (Double Happiness), is the world's largest maker of shuttlecocks, churning out about 45 million a year for brands such as Wilson, Prince and RSL.

Chau originally hadn't planned to enter into such a venture.

"I was working in a bank. After about three or four months, I found the work terribly tedious and boring, so I thought I must change my profession," Chau says.

In 1978 he did just that, finding his way into a business with very little competition.

Back then, most shuttlecocks were made in Europe, but from his Hong Kong home, Chau saw a potential goldmine beyond the border into China.

Equally important, China has feathers -- a standard ingredient for the production of shuttlecocks.

Goose is a popular dish in many parts of China, which gave DH access to a seemingly endless supply of the raw materials.

Quality control
    But producing the perfect shuttlecock isn't easy.

In DH's factory in the city of Guangzhou in Guangdong province, shuttlecocks fly around the room hour after hour, each flight path monitored carefully.

DH's marketing director Duncan Chau, who's Anthony's son, says quality control is critical to the company maintaining its reputation.

"That's why the company has to constantly improve its equipment, technology and process -- from selecting the feathers, to inserting them in the cork, to tying and glueing the shuttle," he says.

Ultimately, the completed shuttlecocks end up in the factory's testing room for final scrutiny. They're fired out of machines to see how far they'll fly, ensuring each one is game ready.

But no amount of testing or quality control can give a shuttlecock a limitless life. In a high intensity game, the shuttles take a pounding.

This is a bonus for DH, as shuttlecocks need to be continually replaced -- creating an on-going demand for the product.

Contributing to this demand is the fact that the sport of badminton is growing, especially in Asia.

"In my city Guangzhou, more and more people are playing badminton. And not just in the city. This sport has reached outside to the whole world," a player of the game enthuses.

To keep up with demand, DH is about to open a new feather processing plant, also in China.

"People always thought that the badminton shuttlecock business is very small, but actually it's a million-dollar business. They don't realize that," Chau says.

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Right...that is it...I am quitting university and trying my hand at manufacturing those LIVESTRONG arm bands. :D

(My niche will be flags of different countries, so that tourists buy them as souvenirs)

#2 jcl49, May 18, 2005
    Last edited: May 18, 2005
  3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    CNN actually showed a programme about this company two days ago or so. They have a series on China's new economy. I was quite surprised to see people playing badminton (product testers) on CNN! :eek:

The factory looked 100% like a sweat shop though...

4. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Interesting story. Perhaps this guy is doing "non-branded" shuttles as well, and players with good connections could import them and make some profit :rolleyes: .

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, I believe some manufactures are doing that. You can even put ur own brand name on it, just as the OEM. ;)

6. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Yes, actually I know that a few Finnish guys are doing that. Only problem is to find a reliable & good manufacturer from whom you can buy with a cheap price :rolleyes: . I just quickly calculated the amount of € I spend every year on shuttles, and it freaked me out (about 15 € per week around 11 months a year...) - might be worth the risk to import some myself!

7. StrikerCase

StrikerCase Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer, Researcher
    J M V,
    I like your idea, however, I would rather think there are something missing between the price we had buy and price supposed the OEM sell?

According to CNN two years ago. Basketball/running shoe buy at $5.00 - $10.00 USD and sell for $50 - $200.00 a lot of people try it at the time. but today we still have Nike, Addidas, etc ,,,:crying:

(1) There are so many brand of shuttleocks. Believe me. If any of them can find better way to sell less and increase market share they will.

(2) In Helsink, shuttlecock has to store in refeigirator to keep the moisture? is it the extra cost?

These are my own shought and experience only. Hope it do not offending any body.

Thanks

8. J_M_V

J_M_V Regular Member

Sales
    Yep, you are absolutely correct. Only way to make this "own entrepreneurship" work would be A) to have very very good connections to badminton clubs (= so that they rely on you and you can actually sell to them continuously - quite a bit of the feather shuttle sales, at least in Finland, go through clubs) and B) to have a large enough moist place (e.g. basebament with moist from the ground) so that large quantities of shuttles can be stored for longer periods of time without big costs. These are the reasons why I haven't imported shuttles myself :eek: . But maybe one of these days when I have big enough castle with plenty of storage and damp places ;) :D .

BTW even in Finland, where badminton is fairly small sport, there's 10+ badminton shuttle brands available. Only possibility to get some sales from them would be to have very low costs and good connections with buyers.

#8 J_M_V, May 22, 2005
    Last edited: May 22, 2005
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

what i meant was the profit margin of plastic shuttle sales is more than that of feather shuttles. Maybe your observation of plastic sales is from SE asia viewpoint but sales of mavis is quite brisk in north america and europe. Of course yonex dont tell u these things.

cost of shuttles are not all driven by labor component. Because of automation, cost of feather shuttles have came down recently.......until wham, bird flu and change in farm practice. Even if labor cost=0, feather shuttlecock suppliers have to compete on limited supply of feathers. This is a supply concern that supercede labor costs concern.

what if feather shuttlecocks curtail badminton participation, sales of shoes, strings, rackets will go down. Will u push plastic or would u let your other equip sales go down? :rolleyes:

feather will alway come from china, they own the most geese, duck and chicken in the world. China had stocks of 4.2 billion chickens and a billion ducks, geese and turkeys last year(2004). If only colonel sander had receipes for fried duck and geese, KFC would had founded in china :p

#9 cooler, Jan 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

From the Los Angeles Times

Badminton World Isn't Smiling for These Birdies
    By Jia-Rui Chong
    Times Staff Writer

July 31, 2006

Badminton fanatic Dan Chien began noticing a change in his shuttlecocks a few months ago.

The feathers seemed thinner and his shuttlecocks were falling apart at an alarming rate.

"Everybody complains now, 'What's wrong with the shuttle?' " he said one morning as he anticipated an evening full of hard-hitting matches at the San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club in El Monte.

Chien knows why. After a practice session, he groused: "It was goose feather, but now it feels almost like duck."

Bird flu has killed 134 people around the world, sickened hundreds more and forced the culling of millions of poultry from Vietnam to Nigeria.

Now it is smashing the world of badminton.

The heart of the game is the shuttlecock, the best of which are made of goose feathers plucked in northern China.

Those geese have been slaughtered by the millions to contain the virus, causing a feather shortage that has unnerved the badminton world.

"I believe the problem is potentially considerable," said Torsten Berg, the official bird flu spokesman for the International Badminton Federation.

The shortage has been particularly felt in Southern California, home to some of the country's best players, coaches and clubs.

Prices on premium shuttlecocks, which cost up to $25 for a tube of a dozen, have risen 25% in the last few months.

Manufacturers are competing for the limited feathers, and players are scrambling to buy the best birdies in bulk, further restricting supply.

Die-hard players are bracing for the worst.

As the virus has spread from Asia to Africa and beyond, scientists have grown increasingly concerned that it could mutate into a form easily transmitted among humans, leading to a pandemic that could kill millions.

Ahmad Bakar, 54, managing director of Pacific Sports Private Ltd., which sells shuttlecocks under the Ashaway brand, acknowledged that a pandemic would be a disaster.

But he can't help expressing a more personal concern.

"If bird flu becomes pandemic," he sighed, "shuttlecock prices could become twofold or threefold higher."

The premium shuttlecocks prized by Chien and other serious players have little in common with the cheap plastic variety strewn across American lawns. The birdies, as some call them, must be tough enough to endure smashes that can send them whizzing at up to 150 mph and shaped just right so their arcing flight is predictable and consistent.

Most of the best tournament-level birdies come from China. Each is made of 16 hand-selected feathers punched into a cork base and held together with string and glue. Sometimes, one goose will yield just two of these precious feathers.

At the factory of the Postsky Racquet and Shuttlecock Co. in Guangzhou, the feathers are sifted, trimmed from 8 inches down to 4 inches, sorted by curvature and inserted into cork imported from Portugal.

Only the thickest and most regular feathers are used for high-grade shuttlecocks. Lower-grade shuttlecocks use thinner, slightly irregular goose feathers or duck feathers, which are less durable.

"It's like an art," said William Chan, the U.S. distributor of premium Hi-Qua birdies, which are made at the Postsky factory.

Chan, who runs his shuttlecock business out of his Rowland Heights home, said the feather supply began to tighten about a year ago, pushing up wholesale prices from about 3 cents each to 4 cents.

That may not sound like much, but it adds up. The Postsky factory, run by Chan's brother Chester, uses about 4.8 million feathers a month.

"We haven't raised our prices for over 10 years, but now we have to," said Chan, 51.

After a rash of broken birdies, out-of-control kill shots and careening flicks, players now suspect that shuttlecock makers have begun substituting lower-quality feathers in their premium tubes.

Chan conceded there was some truth to the suspicion.

"Maybe in the old days, they only used the best kinds of feathers for the top grades," he said. "But right now, feathers on the borderline may get put in because of the cost."

Bakar, of Pacific Sports, said all of his company's top shuttlecocks had maintained their quality, but since the emergence of bird flu, "all brands have to have a mixture in grade."

Manufacturers "cannot get enough good feathers, and even if they could, if they were to put the good feathers in the shuttlecock like before, it would not be a 25% increase, but 50%," he said.

Players say they can easily tell the difference.

Chien, 35, a West Los Angeles cellphone accessories consultant who practices daily at the San Gabriel Valley club, said a doubles match used to destroy eight to 10 shuttlecocks. Now it's twice that number.

"For advanced players, it makes a very significant difference," he said. "They say football is a game of inches. Badminton is too."

Chien said he recently prayed aloud for salvation from the scourge of bird flu.

He prayed not only for sick people, but also for all geese.

His mother laughed at him.

Players have been trying everything to extend the life of their feather birdies, including steaming them or putting them in the refrigerator, which can plump up feathers and make them last longer.

Another solution has been to simply hold out on friends.

Badminton etiquette demands that all players on the court contribute at least one birdie during a game, explained Adam Poon, 32, a lanky Rosemead student and jewelry store clerk, between matches at the San Gabriel Valley club.

During a recent doubles match, three players pulled out their birdies, but one man said he had run out.

"They don't want to take out birds now," Poon grumbled. "They're getting kind of petty."

Shuttlecock makers have also begun to search for alternatives.

Bakar said his company began developing a nylon shuttlecock last year that he thought was as good as the best available feather shuttle on the market.

"I think in the past, nobody really paid attention to research in nylon shuttles because feathers were available and cheaper," he said.

The International Badminton Federation also has intensified its funding for synthetic shuttlecock research, though the results are lagging.

"Feathers are actually quite unique," said Berg, the group's vice president. "The birds have done a good job developing feathers."
    Copyright © 2006, The Los Angeles Times
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    several members from BF were interviewed/consulted for this report.;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lol, it's now obvious that dinkalot is one of the interviewee

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

13. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Hahaha - Sir Dinkie is now officially famous in LA - keys to the city maybe?

14. ray_mond

ray_mond Regular Member

haha, i was thinking the same thing.. dan chien.. an oddly familiar name..

15. syazmina@hotmai

syazmina@hotmai New Member

teacher
    ashaway shuttlecock in detail.

hello..anyone please help me to search in detail about ashaway shuttlecock made from? I need all the data include the feather, cork, glue, string use to tie the feather..

Kindly appreciate those who able to solve this for me..

by Aza