Draw for 2016 Rio Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by pcll99, Mar 30, 2016.

1. other

other Regular Member

Student
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

IMO, LCW is the Greatest of All Time. Super Dan could only beat him like 25 times,LOL.

LCW has 25 Malaysian Open titles to brag about, something much more.

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    "Lee Chong Wei's Era"

Technically yes, if you consider the years he spent at Number 1, and the SS titles.
    However if you think about the big ones...

4. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Well clearly he is damn serious.... As serious as Johnny Mac's "Umpire"....
    LCW FTW... LD who?

5. Raajneesht

Raajneesht Regular Member

Doctor
    sarcasm at its peak

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Arguably, yes, but why split hairs? Should 2003 to 2005 be known as Taufik Hidayat - Young Lin Dan ERA ? How about 2015, Chen Long's ERA, anybody else came close and deserved to have his name added after Chen Long's ? What about 2014 when it was Chen Long who won the WC that year beating LCW who was then suspended for doping offence (the absence of Lin Dan for most of the year discounted him and he also didn't play the 2014 WC for lack of a wild card entry) ?

Frankly, though a bit reluctant, I'm willing to accept LCW's name added after Lin Dan's for he (LCW) is his most worthy opponent and closest rival but their lop-sided H2H in LD's favour doesn't seem to warrant it. Besides, Lin Dan's consistent victories in all the majors over LCW cannot be attributed to a bit of luck - for one or two occasions maybe but not every single time, the scoreline notwithstanding whether it's a close affair or comprehensive victory by Lin Dan.

I mean, in common practice, we named an era after the most prominent feature, a defining event, a unique circumstance, an outstanding figure whose achievements are unsurpassed, or an outstanding personality who stands out from the rest. Therefore, by calling it Lin Dan and LCW era is to imply that honours are shared between them, are they ? Lin Dan as we know owns 5 WC, 2 OG, 4 AG,and 6 AE if you like, not to mention several team championships. LCW, 3 WC runner-ups, 2 OG silvers, 3 AE. Incidentally,Chen Long has 2 WC outright and 2 AE over a shorter period and mid-way in his career.

As such, strictly speaking, that era 2006 - 2013/14 rightly bears Lin Dan's name alone, imho. That in no way diminish LCW's greatness for his name will forever be associated with Lin Dan's as his perpetual archrival to a considerable extent and more so than a few other big names like Taufik Hidayat,Peter Gade, Chen Long,Lee Hyun Il, as well as several lesser ones.

skhai91 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I tend to disagree.

As you can see, Super Dan gets outclassed whenever he loses.
    Ex : China Open 2015

Whereas,Champion Chong gets out-lucked or out- air conditioned in his defeats...Ex : Olympics 2012 or WC 2013.

Hence Champion Chong > Super Dan.

Hence LCW era entirely.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I say, let's not push it, simply call it Lin Dan's era, he is the preeminent figure, no two ways about it.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

But just because of the major tournaments. Because counting only titles, LCW would be on top.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Dude, do I have to tell you not all titles are created equal ?

There we go again, I dread going into that territory. Just check with LCW, he'll gladly give you the answer what he values and wants most, what he'll happily trade most of his tiles for.

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Relax, I was just stating my opinion, which might actually - you may not believe it - differ from LCW's. :)

13. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

You have to count SS titles too. I mean, by that logic, Rafael Nadal is greater than Roger Federer because he has a gold medal and Federer did not live up to expectations in Olympic games.

However, I would consider the time when these two were at a peak as the Roger-rafa period. Yes, Roger has won more but for something stupid like 4 years running these guys were in the majority of all grand slam finals and same works for LD and LCW. They dominated the world series and made it difficult for anyone else to win things unless your name was LCW or LD.

Comparing it to tennis again, I think we can safely assume we're currently in the Novak era because of his domination and how no one comes close. Even before he won the french open, it was still his era, so the same applies to LCW. He might not have won everything but he definitely dominated his fair share of the world series.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm thinking, even if the big-hearted generous-minded Lin Dan agrees to it, I'm not sure if Peter Gade, Lee Hyun Il, Xiong Guobao, et al, would.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's not only the major titles won, their H2H also tells you an unquestionable story of Lin Dan's supremacy. Period.

Unlike tennis where Roger Federer has its Rafael Nadal, Lin Dan, say we call him the Federer of badminton, has no Nadal, and no Novak Djokovic either.

There are many great rivalries in history. Even in the field of sports alone, in most of the famous rivalries, honours are shared more or less between the two titans, seldom do we see the majority of the accolades, laurels, glory, trophies, awards, medals, and whatnots been won by one rival at the expense of the other as in Lin Dan vs Lee CW.

That's why LCW is widely regarded as the most unfortunate one for having born in the same era as Lin Dan; in any other era, he would have gain his fair share of achievements.

SixSeven likes this.
  16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I would think neither would win. Instead it should be one of the younger guard - CL, Axelsen, Jorgensen, Tommy Sugiarto etc.

It would be depressing for the younger players not being able to win gold while LCW and LD were still competing. Even in Tokyo next 4 years - the winner might be reminded that he won because LD and LCW did not compete.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Your take is half of mine.
    If both LCW and LD are on opposite halves, their chances would have reduce to zero.

19. bologna

bologna Regular Member

student
    getting bore,enough.....lets talk about also WS,MD,WD,XD.......;)

phbatra, soulpx, other and 1 other person like this.
  20. other

other Regular Member

Student
    Lightning rods (conductors) are preferentially struck by lightning.
    And can be repeatedly struck.
    That is all.

soulpx, visor and Raajneesht like this.