2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-10 (20th August) - MS Bronze and Gold Medal Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When Chen Long won gold, this tournament thread suddenly becomes relatively quiet and peaceful.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Coincidence or it is true though, when LCW was so close to winning one of the majors eg WC with 2 match points, he would lose....if you look back, Chin Chai organized that trip to WC with the entire entourage at tax-payer expense to that WC, and LCW and KKK/TBH got into final and lost. If they had won, Nasri, Chin Chai, Pang, Rashid and the gang gonna collect huge bonuses. They hang onto their job on the coattails of Dato and KKK/TBH, sacrificing development of the other players. How many WJC had come under Rashid, the so-called head coach and got screwed. BTW, Rashid, Rosman, Pang started that new academy, has that venture tank and belly-up yet??? I was really hoping TWK/GVS would get the gold, I am not a LCW cheer leader and I always cheered for the underdogs, and if GVS/TWK had won, they would be redemption for Frost and Hendy. When Frosty came in, the rebellion and walk-out by those rascalls, they will hoping Frosy will fall flat.Frosty, Hendy and Rexy IMO are the 3 best coaching hire by MAS.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sorry, I don't understand this point. Can u elaborate?

4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

People are saying that Lin Dan wrote this in Rio.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

There was also a huge conversation b/w Lin Dan and LCW after the match with Press around them.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That part is a giveaway. The thing is some of the things supposedly said by Lin Dan are points that he himself has said before either in interviews and/or in his autobiography as far as I can remember. As for LCW , he's a man of few words, not likely he'd talk so much after the semifinal match and before the final gold medal match with Chen Long.

A well-written piece by the author who seems to have studied the two players enough to get the facts right and imagined that's what they are likely to say to each other.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd wait for the press conference to be available then. Thanks.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i've my doubt as well
    with respect, i dont believe LCW's Chinese is that good

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I know Lin Dan conducted interviews prior to the Rio OG and could've written down some of his thoughts for the post-match interview. Let's wait and see, there should be articles published on it soon on the Chinese sports newsmedia.

10. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Foxy, whatever you do, don't quit this forum...honestly.

11. jonaliang

jonaliang New Member

I wholeheartedly agree. I think we need to start looking at getting sports psychologists for our badminton players. They are talented but seem to let nerves and the occasion get the better of them. I don't think LCW crumbled mentally today but I do think Goh/Tan lost due to their inferior mental toughness, losing those match points with service errors and other errors. I think Goh Liu Ying is tough but Chan Peng Soon is rather mentally weak and cannot serve well when things get tight. They need sports psychologists! Nicol David has said that having a sports psychologist has helped her greatly, and she has delivered on the biggest stage far more than LCW ever has (8 WC titles!).

virusvoodoo likes this.
  12. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

According to my source LCW's Mandarin is good as yours and mine. Its his english is just so so.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Yep, this will be available soon. My Chinese Friend is saying that Lin Dan will announce his retirement during the china Open and this is associated with that. Also, Lin Dan has not registered for any tournament and there are discussions that Chen Long, Xue Song and Tian Houwei will now be prepared for the next Olympics. Xue Song has gained full fitness.

14. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

LD speed in Beijing Olympics '08 was awesome probably up to 6th 7th gear. nobody in the world would be able to beat him then. but now he probably has changed the speed to 4th gear due to change style of play.

15. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

That is fantastic news. Was wondering how his injury was coming along. XS showed his quality in the AE.

yamsyams, Pirayeba67 and Justin L like this.
  16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

So, the badminton event ends with China grabbing the last 2 golds through MD and MS. Although I am not a Chinese fan, I have to admit that Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan and Chen Long (especially the latter) deserve their Gold Medals. Congratulations to all three players!

Despite losing the first set, the MD pair won the second set convincingly in the second set. They were leading comfortably in the third-set but the MAS pair refused to give up and gave everything. I thought Tan Wee Kiong was exceptionally good in the first-set and instrumental in leading the MAS pair's comeback right at the end of the second-set to lead 20-19. Alas, both he and his partner Goh V. Shem couldn't convert the 2 match points they had through service errors. The CHN pair held their nerves better and converted the only match point they need. Both Fu Haifeng and Zhang Nan won their 2nd Olympics Gold Medal.

As for Dato Lee Chong Wei, it was a sweet turned bitter moment for him in the space of just 1 night. The victory against Lin Dan definitely meant something to him but he couldn't do the same today as he faced a totally dominant Chen Long (despite winning the last 4 meetings)! He threw everything at Chen Long, but somehow, Chen Long just had that extra strength in him that edges him, compared to the MAS veteran. Chen Long's form in this tourney was so irresistable and he is definitely a deserved winner today! Having won the All-England (twice), the World Championships (twice), BWF Super Series Finals (twice), Asian Games Team Event Gold Medal, Thomas Cup (twice), Sudirman Cup (twice), and now the Olympics Gold Medal, he will overtake the World No. 1 position and there's nothing stopping him to complete an all-sweep of the major honors 2 years later in the Individual Event at the Asian Games 2018 (to be held in Jakarta & Palembang).

We will also bade farewell to a number of players after this year's Olympics, which should surely now include Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan.

well-son, AlanY, kelana and 1 other person like this.
  17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Rashid and Rosman left to coach for a club, same club. To me Rosman quite good, Rashid, hehe, same sentiment with you.
    Pang CC, I thought he's still with BAM, oops

Oh, LCW apologise for not winning the gold(again)

Dato' Lee Chong Wei ‏@LeeChongWei
    Sorry to make everyone disappointed, I had try my best!

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

There's no need to apologize.....Lee Chong Wei has tried his best! The three-sets victory against Lin Dan yesterday (especially the rubber-set) should give him some assurance that he's among one of the greats in badminton. Even an INA fan like me respects his achievements and contributions to badminton!

And Lin Dan, being the unique player that he has been all these while, I don't think he gives a damn what his fans or non-fans have to say about his losses in the Olympics 2016. IMHO, he has tried his best but age caught up with him and he no longer has the stamina to take tough matches in 3-sets. That explains why he had to "sacrifice" the second-set in both the SF and bronze-medal playoffs. You could still see that drive and motivation to him in him at the end of the third-set yesterday when he drew level at 20-20.

Nevertheless, Lin Dan is truly the greatest MS player that has graced the badminton field. Like it or not....even a non-fan like me admits this fact! Lee Chong Wei was just unlucky to be born in the same era as Lin Dan.

19. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

I think is also very unlucky for Malaysians, having 3 pairs in the final but none are converted into gold. they would have to wait for many many years before such an opportunity comes around.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Okay, I take back what I said about Rosman. Rashid, Nasri, Chin Chai, collectively they took MAS baddy backwards. BAM has so much funding, they invested heavily in the trio at the xpense of the juniors, hoping either wins gold in majors, then they take the credit and kaching the cash, titles, etc. Pang has a hand in ousting Rexy, Pang saw the potential in KKK/TBH, they almost pulled it off at WC. Call it karma or what.
    Credit to Frosty to see a young LCW, credit Rexy for pairing KKK/TBH, Hendy/TSB for guiding LCW on his comeback to WR1. They earned their pay, the others return money back.