2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-10 (20th August) - MS Bronze and Gold Medal Match

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 19, 2016.

1. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I don't think stamina had anything to do with it. This is just LYB talking himself up (basically saying "We have the best team").

There are so many rest days during the OG.

And to be honest, even though the LCW LD semi went to 22-20 in the third, it wasn't the toughest match they have had. Rally length in the first two sets was lower and I think that elapsed time also show that.

Swedebadminton likes this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long's game is highly effective and efficient. Compared with Lin Dan and LCW, his game appeared boring but among the rest I don't see anyone playing a better or more interesting game than him.

Hu Yun, Boonsak Ponsana, Wei Nan, may seem more creative
    I hope you're right about the anticipation part which I still doubt is anywhere as good as Lin Dan's or LCW's. He's been in the senior int'l circuit since 2010, 6 years already, should have accumulated enough experience and acquired the ability to read his opponents's game better. Still room for improvement, I think.

But in the gold medal match with LCW, he's doing fine in this aspect, got caught out not too many times, unlike some of their previous matches where we had seen him left stranded, wrong-footed, sent scrambling all over the place, passive and reactive more often than not. With good anticipation, he can take the shots/returns a bit earlier with more options and attack better with more threatening shots.

Happy to say, Chen Long is all-conquering throughout the Olympics, the only hiccup was his G2, the only set he lost, with Son Wan Ho where he let his opponent set the rhythm and dictate the rallies. Fortunately, in G3, with very good advice from Li Yongbo, he seized the initiative, broke SWH's rhythm, took charge of the game and turned the match around for a comprehensive victory.

On the whole, Chen Long's overall performance here has been nothing short of spectacular. Had it been Lin Dan who edged out LCW at G3 deuce and advanced to the final, I'm quite sure, Lin Dan would suffer the same fate as LCW. Somehow, I've the impression Chen Long has raised his game another level.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

And to be honest, even though the LCW LD semi went to 22-20 in the third, it wasn't the toughest match they have had. Rally length in the first two sets was lower and I think that elapsed time also show that.[/QUOTE]

IMO, stamina had a lot to do with.

Had the matches been played today, the matches would have been much closer.

volcom likes this.
  4. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

IMO, stamina had a lot to do with.

Had the matches been played today, the matches would have been much closer.[/QUOTE]

LD might have won in the bronze medal match too. age is one of the big factors, so said ex-top player Han Jian, in Sg evening newspaper.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

6. Nine Tailed Fox

The whole concept of Bronze Medal match is pointless. You lost once in the Knockout stage, you should pack your Bag.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LD might have won in the bronze medal match too. age is one of the big factors, so said ex-top player Han Jian, in Sg evening newspaper.[/QUOTE]
    I agree with Han Jian. Lin Dan is much more experienced, more skillful, but throughout the Olympics he wasn't in good shape nor in top form, and could only play to his capacity in the first set as shown in his matches with Srikanth, Lee CW ,and Axelsen.

Remarkably, LCW is in much better shape. I supposed he's more motivated, still hungry for success at the top, probably trained harder and prepared better . Interesting that LCW claimed he played better than at LOG'12 and the all world championships (excluding Beijing OG 2008 ?).

8. mambai

mambai Regular Member

This.
    The favorite way of China to achieve success. It's almost impossible to defeat both LD and CL.
    If LCW had met CL in semifinal, he could have won against CL, but after that he would fail to LD eventually.
    So sad to LCW when he beat his archrival and still lost the championship.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LCW has already given us the answer. First, he never complained that it's fatigue after playing Lin Dan that cost him the gold medal match with Chen Long.

Second, he explained he tried his best and played better than he did at London OG and all his WC but Chen Long was just better.

So if LCW played Chen Long first in the semifinal, LCW would lose and end up at most a bronze medalist.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't think so. Do you actually believe that he played better than at the Olympics '12?

He played a lackluster and slow game without taking any risks. I've written it in another thread already. Did he seriously believe that he's gonna outlast Chen Long stamina-wise by playing safe shots the whole time without taking any risks? How did he expect to score points? By errors from Chen Long, one of the players with the best quality shots, even under pressure? No way!

In the recent matches where he actually beat Chen Long he played a much more positive game, going for his shots with confidence. Yes, he was not going for the big smashes the whole time, but he was hitting full power jump smashes a lot and with success. Yes, Chen Long was in better form at the Olympics, but check out the All England victory from LCW.

Why the coaches told him to play this type of game in an Olympic final is beyond me! It didn't work against Chen Long in the last two world championships where he lost quite convincingly, although the score suggests otherwise he didn't really stand a chance at any given time during the matches. So why should it work now?

And because I know, that you really like quoting well-known badminton players, here is what Morten Frost said. He said that he thinks that Chong Wei is best "when he plays an attacking, fast paced game" and that when he plays this slow, save game it's more like "he's playing not to lose, rather than daring to win it". He also acknowledged that sometimes when LCW loses confidence in his attack - because it is returned, or because he hits it out - he stops attacking and "becomes an ordinary player". One of his big problems if you ask me. For example at the WC14 against CL when he returned that smash through his legs and Chong Wei couldn't finish it, he said that he should keep on attacking. Of course sometimes your opponent will be able to return your best shots, but not all the time. You got to force Chen Long out of his shell. If I were Chen Long, I would be so happy. Why? Because I just have to expect drop shots and half-smashes, when I hit good lengths on shots.

Of course there's the possibility that Chen Long would have returned all of his smashes and that he [LCW] would not have the stamina left to play an attacking game, but I'd much rather seen that, because playing the game he did, it was doomed to failure from the start. Just my two cents.

s_mair, Gingerbeer, kwun and 2 others like this.
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Do You think that Lin Dan in 2012 would have allowed Rio Final's LCW to win when this LCW was taking shuttles that were atleast 2 feet OUT....I don't know if any of you noticed it But there 5 occasions when LCW did this. Deception is a key to beat CL and save your own stamina But i am not sure if that's LCW's favourite meal.

visor likes this.
  12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Heck, I don't want to sound harsh, but I think even Axelsen, Son Wan Ho and Jan Ø Jorgensen would've been able to stretch him playing like this...

13. Seasider

Seasider Regular Member

IT
    Has Malaysia ever won an Olympic gold medal? Just curios.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

My thoughts also the same.

This being his final final at Olympics or at any majors, I was shaking my head why he didn't kick it up a gear or two as when he was playing in SF against LD. He definitely played under what's he's truly capable of. Sad to say that he did not live up to his autobiography "Dare to Be a Champion". :(

Rob3rt likes this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

Nope, that's why the heavy burden on him.

16. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Maybe allowing LCW to overtake CL before Rio Olympics was all caculated.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I
    I agree on your tactical analysis. But I think LCW did not have the legs to play a faster game, partly because of his semis, partly because of nerves (nerves burns energy more then anything else).
    His age does not make him slower, but makes his recovery from previous matches slower. Same with LD.

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

common, we have to stop with those devious plots. We have been saying that LD was hiding for the last two years, and finally we found that he was playing his best all along. CL manages to peak at the good time, that's it.

19. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Devious plot...pls for China team it's normal strategy they been using. With 2 potential gold medal candidate in CL & LD, why would they want to take the risk for both to meet in the semi.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I agree LCW expended a lot of mental energy in the semifinal.

In last year's HK Open 9months ago, I saw him beat Chen Long by playing a very attacking game. That time, Chen Long got flustered and made mistakes. I think Chen Long went back to basics, played on the patient, boring rally game which is very frustrating for an opponent.

alien9113 likes this.