Powerful, head heavy, flexible, userfriendly, fast, normal size head racket for singles

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by BadmiCat, Aug 12, 2016.

1. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I really want to try them but Lining and Victor do not sell rackets in Sweden. It means I should order them via Internet, but not always shops want to take rackets back if I don't like them. If it is possible (which is very rare) there is another problem: Swedish post is crazy expensive. (There is a little trick however - if you buy something and pay with PayPal you can return the item and PayPal will pay for the return - but one can use this option only 12 times and only within one year.)

So if the shop does not want it back I should sell the racket. But it is possible to sell only very popular and expensive rackets.

If I buy something like Victor Light Fighter 7000 for €70 the delivery to Sweden will cost me extra €20. If I do not like the racket, first I should reduce the price to €50; second, I should find someone who will buy Victor Light Fighter 7000 (I do not think it is possible) and third, send it to the buyer with Swedish post for at least another €20.

Another reason to choose popular and new rackets is consistency. If I buy an old model they has stopped producing, like VT70 or TK6000, the next time it will be impossible to buy it again.

So, I try to minimize all risks and try to buy something from the first time, that's why I'm so meticulous.
    I had luck with BS12, it is a "golden standard" for doubles, so this time I want to find such racket for singles: powerful, fast, flexible, user friendly with normal size frame. I really like Onigiri, especially orange one but it has a small frame :(

PS There is opportunity to try Yonex, Forza and Babolat rackets in my club. But Yonex is just not my company, neither rackets nor shoes pass me. The string tension of rackets they have are quite different from racket to racket, from "noodles" to "let's go crazy and string it at 50 lbs" so the whole process is quite difficult.

#41 BadmiCat, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Tough situation. Hope you find what you are looking for.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    There's two types of small frames. There's the original Z-Slash where everything is smaller and its more like a traditional oval, and there's the 'modern' style, where only the bottom of the racket head is smaller.

There's no disadvantage with the modern style. They're not harder to play with than the traditional ISO, and the sweetspot is not smaller.

In fact, what I find switching between the Onigiri and the classic Voltric 80, is more consistency with the shots. The VT80 packs a punch, but the sweet spot feels A LOT different to the rest of the head. It's very distinct, and very soft, whereas the Onigiri is more consistent.

4. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

JS10 has such type of frame. I did not really like it :(

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I still stand by recommending the N50 III. Everyone else that tried is has the same consensus as I, it's an incredibly easy racket to use, and it meets all of your requirements.

s_mair and Rob3rt like this.
  6. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I promise, I will try it! ;)

7. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I have read all review I could find. Many people say that N50 III reminds BS12. Can someone compare these rackets?

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Reading now through 3 pages in this thread, I'm kind of getting a feeling that you are looking for the impossible. To sum up, you want a racket that is fast and flexible as a BS12 and hits like a ZF2 at the same time. And I'm sorry, but there is just no racket known to mankind yet that can combine these two features. There will always be a trade-off between power and head speed which means that you will always end up with some kind of compromise. A design-trick that actually helps to improve the speed/power ratio is to reduce the head size as seen on the JS10, Onigiri, ZF2 but if that is also out of the question, then you are limiting your choices to zero IMO.

Ans speaking of the N50-III, I also do think that it's a great and very easy to use racket. But does it hit significantly harder than a BS12? Absolutely not. But it swings noticeably slower than a BS12 so you will in any case end up with having to adjust your timing each time you switch from one to the other.

My advice would be to fully focus on your beloved BS12 and to simply work on your smashes with it. Optimize the placement and angle (which are by far more important than sheer power in singles) and simply accept that your smash will lack a tad of power. IMO that is a very small sacrifice to make in order to enjoy all the other advantages that a quick racket like the BS12 is offering and to spare yourself the constant timing-adjustments when switching from doubles to singles. And by the way, if you look at the rockets that YYS and a other pros are firing with their BS12s it seems like there is a lot of potential in the power section too if one knows how to get it. ;)

xiaoqiao and DarkHiatus like this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

There's no way LYD and YYS are using regular commercial BS12 rackets.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Even KRP coded rackets cannot cheat physics. :)

And let me tell you, after making my own (expensive) experience with a JS10 KRP, I am seriously cured of thinking that they can perform any kind of magic. And without looking at the pros, I know a guy from a nearby club that plays boring standard BS12s and hits smashes that always want to make me hide and cover somewhere safe. :eek:

#50 s_mair, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  11. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Fully agree here. The typical power racquets are stiff and head heavy, and sometimes reduce head size for a little bit extra swing speed.

Head heavy - more momentum (more power, as long as swing speed isn't too slow)
    Stiff - allows you to generate more power with a fast swing head speed without losing control.
    Head size - lower area, lower drag, higher swing speed.

If you are unwilling to compromise on any of these three points, then your BS12 is going to be your personal 'golden racquet'. If you want a harder smash then you have to compromise - get a head heavier racquet (slower defence), better your technique to make your swing speed faster (this will increase your smash on the BS12, but your 'golden racquet' will become a stiffer model), or lose a bit of consistency with a smaller head size.

Good luck whatever you choose. I would personally be making sure you know 100% what tension you want your racquet at, because right now it probably makes more of a difference.

P.S. You never responded to the VT70ETN and VT80ETN response that phorge recommended. These are DIFFERENT racquets to the original VT70/VT80 despite the name. Yes, that's right, they are different no matter what configuration of weighted grommets you put on them. If you are happy to increase the head heaviness (but not going to ZF/ZF2 levels), then these are your best bet to have a medium flex racquet, normal head size, and head heavier than BS12. If you read far enough, you'll find that VT70ETN/VT80ETN have a reputation of being less stiff than the Yonex labels say. Testing at your club ought to be your best bet since they're popular racquets and someone should have one kicking around.

#51 DarkHiatus, Aug 24, 2016
  12. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Thanks for advices, guys!

Of cause, I understand that ideal racket does not exist and there are always compromises.
    In the BS12 case, everything except smashes is perfect and effortless - clears, drives, net play, and especially lifts, every time when I see the shuttle soars to the ceiling like a rocket I can't believe I did it.

But which racket is perfect for singles? There are some positive reviews on Onigiri, but there are many absolute negative. The same with others models. Someone likes one model, someone hates it, opinions usually divided 50/50... There is no consensus on this issue, no solution like "buy this, this is a masterpiece, and you will be happy".

About compromises. I am ready to sacrifice some speed, because singles are not so fast compare to doubles and get some power instead. Effortless power :) But I really cannot use stiff rackets and prefer normal head size.

I do not want try VT ETN because if I buy one, I will not sleep, trying again and again all possible combinations of these additional parts :mad: Really do not want to do it and as I said Yonex is not my company.

I am going to try N50III and maybe Onigiri (orange one is eye candy) soon.

#52 BadmiCat, Aug 24, 2016
    Insteadof2 likes this.
  13. opppi

opppi Regular Member

i play the bs 12 too and i lost so much power with my smashs after switching from the voltric series.
    But i play way better then before.
    Have you ever thought about adding some weights to your racket? like this http://www.tennistown.de/product_info.php?products_id=4623
    Maybe this will give you a bit more punch..

14. phorge

phorge Regular Member

Perhaps a video of you playing will give us some insights into suggesting the perfect singles racket for you.

15. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

+1, you're asking for the impossible right now.
    No yonex because 'they don't pass you', what kind of self imposed inflexibility is this?
    Fast and head heavy don't go well together.
    Fast and large frame also don't go along too well together.

My gut feeling is that you're not that strong a player yourself since you ask for the impossible. I say stick with the BS 12, it's a good solid racket and when you become better then you can switch.

16. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I tried a many different Yonex rackets including Arcsaber 11, VT line, FB, FD and so on, but not of them I really liked. They all are good rackets, but just do not have any character, for my taste. The same was with shoes - I really sure Yonex makes shoes for non-human beings and mutants :D

17. edvine

edvine Regular Member

You can try Yonex VOltirc Glanz

Insteadof2 likes this.
  18. azchuah1

azchuah1 New Member

you could try adding lead tape at 3 & 9 (or victor powerizer), to your bravesword 12.

Makes the familiar frame more powerful (head heavy) and similar feel.

19. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Tried it a few days ago. It felt literally dead. All in our Club hated it.

And we are coming all from different rackets: BS12 (me), voltric 70 etune, Babolat Blast (which is pretty ok), n99, n80, z Force 2 & arc11 to name a few.

The Glanz rackets are really meh. Both of them. :(

I would also recommend to stay with the BS12. Otherwise some LiNing, but there is your Problem with Import. So, BS12 is fine.

20. jak nam

jak nam Regular Member