Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, I guess in purely hard drives, they might've been better, especially when coming forward - but as you said, we never really challenged them on that, since putting in blocks instead worked so well. They definitely would've outplayed us in a 100% hard-and-fast game in the end of the 3rd game, as my partner and me were both scraping the barrel at that point. Regarding the experience, the stronger opponent actually has more experience than me (I started 6,5 years ago :D) :p Not sure about the other one. They are younger, though.

I noticed a couple months back that most people tend to have patterns on their serve return, as it is a situation where you try to get on the shuttle as fast as possible and dont have much time to think, so you react to the serve pretty instinctively (in my eyes, one of the things putting very good players apart from others is their ability to still think in these situations and, if necessary, adapt).
    I know for a fact that I tend to play a backhand shot to the right side of the court when receiving on the even court and a slightly delayed forehand shot to the right side as well when receiving on the odd court - those are the shots I'm most comfortable with, and the backhand of other players is often the weaker side. More astute players sometimes notice that trend, however (as do guys I train with regularly), and may try to exploit that to their advantage, which is where I have to notice that and adapt accordingly. In this match, I focussed hard on the service situation and I think I managed to stay a bit unpredictable there and not fall into patterns.

I sorta fell into that smashing mindset for different reasons - one was that I played with the most talented player I know, who is phenomenal at reading the game and has superb net play, so a slightly weak smash return is usually enough for him to finish the rally in one shot. I wanted to keep the attack, since they had good attacking play (solid smashes and good pace of movement, not super easy to play counter-shots), and didn't want to get read on drop shots (happened a few times in the match, I think). Towards the end, I was also fairly exhausted, so my thinking may have been affected, but also my touch - and a smash is less risky. I was also almost never smashing at 100%, since I had problems with the racket slipping and made a few errors on 100% tries early in the first game.
    Simply put - yeah, you're right, even if it wasn't entirely unintentional :D

Thanks for pointing out the defensive weakness. I am generally aware of that tendency, but it helps tremendously to have it pointed out from time to time!

Glad you enjoyed the vid, and thanks for replying! :)

AimUk and Cheung like this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Not me obviously, but thought I'd share an excellent video of the great Tony Gunawan dominating our North American badminton scene.

Playing against the leftie Yoo YongSung (not LYD's partner ) who's the twice silver MD medalist at Sydney and Athens OG.

3. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    What happened at the end?!?!

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Apparently YYS's partner cramped up after the dive (he had played in the MS final earlier) and had to quit...

racketman123 likes this.
  5. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

@j4ckie Very welcome, I can understand that, if your partner knows you're going to smash it most times, then it helps him use his strength of reading the game.Your partner is very creative, I know someone so similiar in the manner in which he plays, can be frustrating for both opponents and team mates sometimes though :p That cross court "taxi" on the serve return was brilliant. Completely pie'd the guy with longer hair, at a very important point in the game too.

Something we've been working on off season is serve return/3rd/4th shot a lot. Practicing low clearance shots from below the tape, you'd be suprised at how different the game becomes if you don't have this immense pressure to hit the feathers off the shuttle on serve return.
    As you say, a lot of people know the serve return and 3rd shot is so important in rally points, but they see it as the way to end points within 2 shots, not necessarily build the point to your own advantage.

j4ckie and Cheung like this.
  6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

And another one. :D
    Footage from yesterday's 2nd match. In retrospect, I should've recorded the XD as well (pretty convincing victory there)...but you can't always get what you want. Pretty fun match, high pace and very offensive mindset from all players.
    As you can see, a different partner than last time. He doesn't live here, so he doesn't train with us as much, which we really noticed in our first MD match of the day - he plays a fairly unorthodox MD in my opinion and we made some rotation errors and mispositioned at times, resulting in weak shots or missed opportunities. Got much better in this one though, I guess in part because of the opponents playing a much higher pace than the previous ones (which he is more comfortable with).

As always, any and all feedback is appreciated!

I'm the one in the blue shirt, btw.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @j4ckie Aren't you playing with the Nik P. Double anymore?;)

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

A quick google showed me an Austrian 'musician'...if that is who you meant and it is a reference to someone's looks, I guess you're referring to my doubles partner from 3-4 years ago when I was still playing in our 2nd team. So yeah, we're in different teams, and have been for 3 years :D

9. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Sorry for the jerky camera, seems my phone overheats when filming after a while!

First "competitive match" back against our other club team this season. County restrcited tournament on Sunday so this was a good warm up. (I'm in lighter blue). Looks like I need to lose a bit of weight O_O. Quite happy with how I played. Will see if there's any more salvagable footage from other games too. Won All of the matches I played... Comments welcome :)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @AimUk

Nice game.

I think you can be more alert and focussed on the first three shots.

On your return of serve, it's pretty clear you can react faster with your body.

You have a good whip cross court from your forehand midcourt side. Just mix it up a bit with some variations.

Do you find it a bit difficult to smash full power from midcourt? Obviously your steep smash is pretty good.

AimUk likes this.
  11. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

@Cheung Thanks dude!

I think you're right. I am a bit slower around the court than I used to be and it's something that i'm particularly focused on since being shown up in that area in the tournament on Sunday. Control around the mid/forecourt is what gets the defensive lifts and I was too slow to do this vs better opponents then. (I was playing against much stronger opponents than in this video, 1 was top 20 in MD in the country)

When you asked if i found it difficult to smash midcourt, do you mean the ones I could have but didn't hit full power?
    Perhaps if I had recorded a tournament or vs a non club team (more competitive) I may have hit full power on those midcourt shots.
    I think the reason I like hitting that cross court drive so much, is that against right handers it often produces a weak reply. I'd would opt not to use it against left handed players or someone who has proven they can deal with it. Of course mixing it up is vital in the long run :)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What I see is if you are midcourt and want to do a full smash, your body and legs are not in synchrony with your arm - your arm is smashing but without the body movements. I think I notice it more if you have your partner standing in front of you. Perhaps he is a distraction.

One other curious thing is your partner coming to the net. He does the basics well, keeps his racquet up and ready. But when it actually comes to hitting the shuttle, a few times he will let the shuttle drop below the top of the net before hitting it. So then, he's given the opponents some advantage to get back into the rally.

13. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I see what you mean, it's probably down to a few things me needing to do more drills/ movement work, relying on my arm too much. I guess being a bigger person I expend more energy when I move my legs so I tend to minimise it at the expense of good footwork.
    I haven't really done much of that recently in training, it's tended to be more technical stuff. Which may explain the lack of connection. I'm at a phase in my training where i'm trying to come up with a plan to progress, so this is all very helpful thanks.

RE my partner, i'm fully aware of this. Lifetime of habit maybe ? The way our doubles matches works is 4 players and each person plays 3 matches with the other 3 team mates, he's not my tournament partner or i'd try and sort it more urgently! :eek:

14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Sussex, @AimUk?

15. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    hampshire @AimUk?
    do you know Gary Lau, Jamie Cheung?

16. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

I do know both- Played Gary when I was playing more regularly on the tournament circuit a few years back. Had a great 3 set singles match with him. Trained with Jamie a few times in Portsmouth, i'm a bit further west than that :)

17. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    oh cool. im based near Guildford Surrey. No time to train much and try to get into the County set up now. Do you play in any of the local leagues?

18. Dave Jeff

Dave Jeff New Member

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Wrong thread, unless you actually are JOJ or CTC, which I doubt. :p

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have seen this game live in the first row, maybe we should start a thread "post videos of yourself watching."? :D