"Downgrading" from a ZF2 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nicholas Tam, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Nicholas Tam

Nicholas Tam Regular Member

Hobo Student
    Hi BC,

So I'm looking to "downgrade" from a ZF2 4U because of the stiff shaft. I trained in singles but now exclusively play doubles but still have a personal preference for rackets with a weightier head, which was why I went for the ZF2 in the first place. Typically string at 28 lbs. so I prefer rackets in the top end which could take high tensions.

I'm considering either downgrading to a YY LD-Force 4U or going to try a JS12 3U. I'm not a power player but couldn't help but use a head heavy racket, but I'm fine with a racket that sits somewhere between. Could anyone comment if they've used either of these two rackets? My previous rackets were VT80 3U, AS10, so I was looking for something like a faster VT80 or a beefier AS11

#1 Nicholas Tam, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    selasarorg likes this.
  2. jwcho1123

jwcho1123 Regular Member

Student
    How about a VT80 4U or VT80ETN 4U? I used to play with the VTZF I 4U for doubles but found it a bit too stiff and slow for front court play (net shots/interceptions). After selling it, I moved onto the VT 80 4U. I found it quite powerful while maintaining decent speed. After breaking it, I am now using VT80 ETN (w/ all etune parts) and I find it an excellent racket just like the original VT80. Excellent power + decent speed but not too demanding as VTZF.

However, this is me. I would categorize myself as the power type at my level. I am best at mid/rear court playing fast drives/smashes. So, the VT80ETN 4U helps me deliver such shots while not sacrificing too much speed. Since you did mention you are not a power player, you could also try the JS12 as the shaft is not as stiff as VTZF II and it still has some weight in the head.

#2 jwcho1123, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  3. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    I play 28lbs. so I'm not comfortable with overtensioning a 4U VT80 by 2 lbs. Knowing how fragile YY rackets are 2lbs overtension will drastically reduce the longevity of the frame. My last racket to fail due to overtension was that AS10JP strung at 26lbs. that wasn't even 2 years old

4. jwcho1123

jwcho1123 Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm, I also string at 28lbs w/ BG80. Personally I didnt find the rackets fragile. Well I guess if that is what worries you should look into other brands that warranty higher tensions such as Victor or Li-Ning

5. visor

visor Regular Member

If your racket couldn't survive a mere 26 lbs then you definitely should be looking for a better stringer.

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've strung a £30 YY frame at 30lbs of tension, it shouldn't cave at 26. Was it a clash?

Try the N99, N80, or N80-2.

7. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    Older high-end YY rackets have a tension rating of 24 lbs. and I've broke like 4 of those where only one of them was a clash, others caved in after small cracks from mis-hits and small chips. One of the main reasons for moving over to the head-heavier rackets from YY since they take higher tensions and have more material in the head to survive clashes to some degree. My VT80 3U is still around after chipping off most of the paint, I don't think I could say the same if I owned an AS11 instead. As much as I loved my VT80, it feels sluggish compared to the ZF2 but the flex was about right. I'm also not very fond of the smaller frame of the ZF2, I still have problems timing certain defensive shots after using it for a year.

I'd like to avoid Li-Ning as well, I've owned a N80-I and just couldn't quite tame the frame. Plus they were quite expensive compared to YY and Victor. YY and Victor rackets typically costs USD150-160 w/ stringing around here in Hong Kong, whereas Li-Ning are upwards of USD180. (VT80ETN is pretty affordable at USD125 here but I won't buy that because it just doesn't suit me)

I'm planning to string my own rackets eventually so I'd like to have a racket which could take higher tensions safely, hence wanted to switch to a Victor JS12 or equivalent. If anything, I'm actually pretty keen on the JS12 because it would serve as a modern update to the AS10 I broke many years ago which I liked quite alot. I've been wanting to switch back to head-balanced rackets for quite awhile now but I guess I didn't quite jump onto the BS12 hype since I wasn't ready to sacrifice the power of head-heavy rackets.

#7 Nicholas Tam, Oct 2, 2016
  8. Alfredhpv

Alfredhpv Regular Member

Accountant
    Victor TK6000 4U, is medium flex, unlike Voltric 70, you wont feel the racket bending when hit the shuttlecock.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would have thought a stiffer shaft is actually better for doubles.

Interesting you mention switching from singles to doubles. I have done the same this past year and have been learning how to modify my strokes (whilst not injured). I switched to ZF2 3U and find it very good! It was totally a random choice.

Asking around, it seems that ZF2 4U is a very popular choice for doubles in Hong Kong.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    You must be mishitting really badly to damage to the frame to that extent, pretty much no modern racket from YY, LN, or Victor should struggle with tensions up to 30lb.

I don't think the problem is in the racket, I think there's something dodgy going on with the stringer, or you're hitting it a bit more than you're letting on.

You could try the NR900, but I'd honestly recommend you find a new stringer if your rackets are caving in on themselves.

11. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    It's just personal preference since I found that I can't seem to be putting enough power into my shots as I'm not a power player.

Hong Kong is dominated by YY rackets in general, most club players buy rackets based on recommendation by retailers or by friends rather than actually researching frames. ZF2 4U is a very good racket but I feel that it's mostly hyped up because it is a head-heavy but relatively fast frame, many don't realize that they're not utilizing the full potential of the stiff frame. Another example is the emergence of the D10, not many people realize that LCW doesn't actually use the D10 frame and that it is just a YY marketing gimmick. In general, not many shops sell Li-Ning and Victor rackets, but well known online stores and pro shops such as MBS and e78 most certainly will stock them.

I didn't buy into the the hype but the ZF2 is a great racket, but it is genuinely too stiff for my likes. I'm still using it because of the head balance but that's why I'm looking for a recommendation.

12. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student

I broke a NS7700, NS6000, MP-LTD and AS10. YY rackets prior to the Voltric series were pretty fragile in general, but even so I'm still quite wary of overtensioning modern YY frames.

My AS10 didn't encounter a wall, one day the frame just cracked after a string popped. The NS7700 met another racket, the NS6000 broke after one thin strip of carbon chipped off from ground contact and subsequent mishit on the exact same spot. MP-LTD met badminton post... don't ask

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I meant in your other 2 frames breaking... :)

The YY tensions are mostly crap. They used to slap 24lbs on everything and call it a day so they didn't have to honour as many warranties. Your AS10 shouldn't have caved at 26 unless it'd had an unfortunate encounter with a wall.

14. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    Ah that reply was a response to Cheung

Those frames were in the past, so I'm looking at Victor JS12 at the moment. NR900? No way man, I've long graduated from the nano series

#14 Nicholas Tam, Oct 2, 2016
  15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Graduated..? NR900 is one of the most popular doubles frames.

16. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    I could personally never go back to head-light balanced rackets, at the very least I'd be comfortable with an AS11 but nothing less

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think some of the issues will be technique if you cannot generate power. I find flexibility of the racquet a variable thing. If I haven't done any supplementary exercises, a fairly flexible racquet is ok. Once I train harder, the racquets flexes too much during a faster swing and I can't hit the shuttle properly.

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'm not quite sure what you're hoping or asking for, you want a Voltric because you've had frames collapse, but you don't want it too be too head heavy, but still head heavy, but faster than the ZF2, with a normal frame size, and easier to use?

I'm afraid you just can't really get all of those things, at least not really out of Yonex's current lineup. The LD-F is the only thing I could recommend you try.

19. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    To put this simply coming from a ZF2, I wanted something with slightly more flex but with similar head-weight. But on the other hand I also wanted to try out something that's more balanced but still relatively powerful if the frame supports high tensions. Normal frame size is also preferred, so I've ruled out the JS10.

My first option would simply be "downgrading" to a LD-F.

While my second option which is the JS12.

I think I did mention that I was looking at either of these two rackets up on top. Sorry if I didn't quite explain this clearly enough

#19 Nicholas Tam, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  20. Nicholas Tam

Hobo Student
    Let's just say that my technique isn't 100% perfect like a professional, nor am I a power player who does alot of smashing. But don't we agree that the ZF2 is a very stiff racket? I'm fine with a VT80 which isn't exactly a flexible racket but ZF2 is certainly stiffer than the VT80.