Paizhuan 76 Holes Modification - Guide/How To

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Charlie-SWUK, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The worst thing I've had to use with this and the paizhuan 72 hole pattern is butter to lubricate the string a little. The objective of these patterns is to reduce fussing over shared holes.

visor likes this.
  2. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Personally I think this pattern is too fiddly just to avoid a few shared holes. Those only bothered me when I first started stringing, where a single grommet could have me cursing for ten minutes! Now it's more like 5-10 seconds if that, and isn't something I even think about these days. I tend to use the haribito pattern for most of my stuff, or the standard yonex 2-piece for yonex rackets still under warranty.

3. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Ive strung 4 rackets with Paizhuan pattern and so far the users were positive with the feel of it. Will be my default pattern here on.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Have you found the pattern for 72 holes?

5. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Hi Charlie... so far the rackets are all 76 holes. So Ive been following your drawing. :)

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is a really good guide. If I ever get around to trying the Paizhuan, I will be following it. :)

7. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Charlie... just an after thought... any possibility to do 4 knots with this pattern? Id reckon one string will be very short and the other very long?

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The only way I could see 2 pieces working is:
    Short side is exactly as it is now.

Instead of long side you start with Main 10 going up towards the top, then do crosses top to bottom.

I don't think it'd be anywhere near as neat or effective though, and I'm not sure it'd do anything to improve the functionality of the pattern. I mean one of the big ideas of this pattern is putting knot slack onto an outside main where you'll never hit, but that doesn't seem like it'd be easily accomplished in 2 piece.

@Gollum when I finally have a 72 hole racket to restring (Duckfeet's Tpro excluded I need to buy more string to do it properly for him), I'll post a guide on that too.

9. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

My question is using this method with flying clamp.

I understand that when pulling the top cross you need a fixed clamp to hold it since there's only one string. but what if I pull the second top cross and double pull it to even the tension between the two crosses? Yes since the main is pulled (tensioned) thus putting pressure to the crosses, double pulling might not work as well. But it might be still acceptable? Besides the first crosses top or bottom, I don't see any limitation using flying clamps.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The very outside main. You have no way of holding tension there with a flying clamp and leaving the 10th out. You would have to, essentially, leave it untensioned or do a weird L shaped pull on the long side. You can get away with pulling both top and both bottom strings at the same time, very few shots are going up there, and because they're short it makes no consequence.

11. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

maybe I can use a tennis flying clamp which the space is bigger...

I will try and let you guys know if it works.

I sold my machine, waiting for another one soon...

#31 fanfaron, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Tennis clamps are a bit more gritty, might damage the string to be honest.

13. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Thats a logical explanation. Well noted.

14. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Thanks for this detailed guide Charlie! I was able to easily follow the guide this afternoon on my ArcSaber FB with 2 fixed clamps (tennis) and 2 Yonex flying clamps. Will play with it tonight to see how it feels.

Couple of questions, in your guide, you made several references to 12 main; I only count 11 mains on each side (22 mains total). Am I supposed to count 1-10, skip the number 11, then count the last one 12? :D

You last skip on step "Step 8 - Finishing up", I think the orange arrow is drawn on the wrong main. You have the arrow starting on 9 main instead of 10. ;)

For those interested in the length required for the short side (includes loop around handle for puller): 157" or 399cm. If you are preweaving, the short side will end with the string just finish up through the last main with a loop around the handle.

This is what I did when I was preweaving and pulling at the same time. I pulled the first both #1 mains evenly 50/50. Then I pulled out "1 full length of racket" + "top of racket to buttom of grip cap" of one side to add to the long side.

#34 n3w813, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Hi there, I'm glad you enjoyed the guide.

Firstly, I say 12 main to reference the grommet, as we skip the 11th grommet. I was hoping this would be clear, as you've successfully followed my guide I'll assume so. But yes this is correct.

I noticed, I was hoping nobody else would. ;) It's a hassle to redo pictures. either way that's just tying off, I hope it didn't cause any confusion.

As shown in my pictures, I pre-weave this style, and I leave just enough string poking out of the bottom crosses to pull on my short side. I find this is usually about correct with a loop around the handle.

For my starting process I do a 50/50 pull, clamp 1 string at the top, 1 in the middle, then I pull the string with the clamp at the top.

I hope you'll find your racket plays nicely with this pattern! I find it very reassuring that a Flashboost survived this method. I did have personal concerns about how the top and bottom pulls would affect softer rackets. What tension and what string did you use?

16. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Yonex Aerosonic, 18# all the way through

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I hope no grommets are missing :D

18. n3w813

n3w813 Regular Member

Systems Admin
    Not this time, lol, I double and triple-checked while I was pulling :p No preweave, it still took me 80 minutes to complete the pull on my crank machine. This is my 4th job though, first Paizhuan ;)

19. Hakhak

Hakhak Regular Member

I find this very confusing :(
    Since its not like the other diagram which mentions all the grommet for it to go through. :(

20. Hakhak

Hakhak Regular Member

I think Ive gotten it after comparing diagrams and re reading plenty of times and one fail attempt.
    Will need to try again when I have the chance