Mizuno Caliber VS Tour (Review)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jctai, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jctai

jctai Regular Member

I have never tried a Mizuno racket before. Three weeks ago, the shop I frequent showed me a few rackets he received from Mizuno dealer. Two rackets caught my eyes, Hayakawa's Caliber VS Tour, Okuhara's Caliber REG, because both are in sharp blue paint. Being a fan of Okuhara, I immediately had a dry swing with the REG. It felt just okay, a tad stiffer than my preference. On to the VS-T, feels quicker and stiffness is in my alley. Later only I saw the normal version of VS-T in matte black, yellow decal on the t-head and top head. It was GORGEOUS. The texture of the paint was very nice to touch. In contrast, the glossy paint on the Hayakawa and Okuhara edition are just like any other rackets. After some fiddling around with all the Caliber rackets (VS Tour, VA Tour, VF Tour, REG), made the decision to buy the black/yellow VS Tour. My guess for the their naming convention is V stands for V Rapier Shaft, V-Speed, V-Allrounded and V-Force. I have no idea that REG could mean, regular?

Mizuno Caliber VS Tour specs:
    Weight: 4U at 83 grams (unstrung with original grip)
    Balance Point: 293mm (strung with add-on overgrip)
    String: Yonex Aerobite at 25lbs
    I have played with this racket for about 12 hours, it’s not much I know, for a reason which I will mention near the end of the review.

Initial impression:
    Swinging the racket produce a high pitch whoop and the speed is as fast as a Nanoray 900. Upon hitting a shuttle, I immediately felt that the stability of VS-T is incredible, it almost feels like I’m using a heavy head racket. The racket leans towards Yonex’s hold feeling, it’s something like Arc10 but more repulsive, I like the feeling.

Flat exchange and drive:
    VS-T is very fast and it really excels at driving the shuttle, I feel even more confident than using my NR900, JS10 and JS12. It is more forgiving than JS10 and JS12.

Lifting:
    I have to mention this shot because using VS-T, I was able to use very little flick motion on the shuttle that is low and near the service line, yet sending the shuttle deep beyond the doubles service line.

Net area:
    Net area was never my forte, I would say the racket does help when things get really fast due to very little lag with the head speed. Hence, interception with VS-T is lightning quick, like a JS10.

Clears:
    Clearing was easy and bring confidence because the racket was steady and the power was there. Punch clear was fast and easy to control.

Defence:
    Defending with VS-T is joy. I could comfortably return a smash to the doubles service line when my timing is on point. I also managed to gain a certain degree of control when returning a smash to the front court. Backcourt backhand shot with VS-T gives me more confidence in controlling the shuttle even though its power is not extraordinary.

Smashes:
    Smashes I could dish out were very steep and fast, Full strength smashes aiming the backcourt requires more preparations and focus, otherwise the shot will not be fast. VS-T has a sweet spot that is easy for me to hit, executing and controlling the smash is relatively easy.

Cons:
    I know I made this racket seem like a perfect but it's not. As I mentioned before, I only clocked in about 12 hours of playtime for this racket, the reason being VS-T's stiffer brother: Caliber VA Tour. Compared to VS-T, VA-T is more solid due to the slightly stiffer shaft and smaller head. I was able to produce harder smash with VA-T and the accuracy is very impressive.
    And the most damning aspect of this racket is its price. Without being in the top 3 badminton manufacture position, the price of their rackets is not welcoming to newcomers.

I will eventually come out with review of VA-T once I feel that I have acquired enough playtime with it. Currently my VS-T and VA-T are still on first Aerobite string, I would definitely try my trusty 68Ti when the Aerobite tension drop below my threshold and do an update if I feel so.

Conclusions:
    Mizuno has definitely created an excellent series, the Caliber series. Both VS-T and VA-T are excellent. With the combination of its unorthodox frame profile, material and weight balance, VS-T is an incredibly comfortable racket to play with. Nothing too much and nothing too little, it feels just right. Control was there, flat exchanges were fast, defenses were comfortable and smashes are great.

Hope you find my review useful and as I always said these are just my personal view point. If your friends has this racket, definitely ask them to let you try it.

My view on Mizuno in Malaysia:
    Mizuno has made a great racket series but let's face the reality, with its price, the majority of Malaysians are not going to try this product by Mizuno which is not a popular badminton brand worldwide. Yes, Mizuno might be a popular brand in golfing world, but people will see clubs and rackets as apple and orange. Especially when it comes to the shaft recoverability, frame head and its interaction with the strings. I can only hope that Mizuno would do a better job at promoting their badminton product in Malaysia, hold testing events, sign more local players, give more incentives to retailers, all that help pump Mizuno badminton into the minds of players. I have this concern because I really like the VS-T and VA-T and I wish to be able to purchase one again should they broke. But after talking to owner of the shop, it doesn't seem like the Mizuno distributor in Malaysia has motivation to push their product, meaning it's likely that they bring in the good stuff in a very long interval.

2. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Nice review there bro!
    I would like to ask, when you mentioned that the VS Tour provides a solid feeling like NR900 and JS10, is the VST as stiff as both of them?
    IMO, both NR900 and JS10's stiff shaft do contribute to the solid feel. For example, the NR800 which is in the same series somehow feels hollow/sluggish, and it has a medium-flexible shaft.

293 is considered in between the medium-head heavy zone, and if it is stiff, how far can it be from arc11, provided they have almost the same specs on paper.

Another thing, can I know where do you usually play? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Thanks Cycril.
    I believe the VS Tour achieve its stability through material and frame profile. I failed to mention that the frame's cross section is square shape with rounded edge. This means that it is the REAL box frame. The frame does change from bottom to top. From 5 to 7 o'clock, it's exactly like ZF2's frame which is aero box frame. From 7 to 9 and 5 to 3 o'clock, it is square shape frame. From 9 to 3 o'clock, it retains the square shape but slimmer. Hope you could imagine how it it's like, haha.
    Regarding NR800 and NR900, they do have different frame, NR800's frame is aero frame top to bottom while NR900's frame is basically a shrunk down Voltric frame, making it fast while retaining some of the stability. But yea the shaft stiffness does contribute to the stability. VS-T shaft is more flexible than NR900's, a less demanding to use. I should state that stability to me are less wobbling, no vibration, no bad vibration when hitting outside the sweetspot.
    ARC11's shaft is a tad stiffer than VS-T's shaft and I think that's why I could smash more comfortable with VS-T. The main difference I guess is with the frame shape, VS-T feels much more stable even being 5g lighter than ARC11.
    I usually play at EnerZ at USJ 1, KL. If you're nearby we could arrange for a test.

4. Jeremyng90

Jeremyng90 Regular Member

I actually seriously considering this VS-T since the day the launch it few months back, i cant find many feedbacks and reviews from the net and if hv also mostly in Japanese. Finally I saw your nice review about it. One of the feedback i heard is this racket swing like a Nanoray 900 9speed) but play like a Voltric (stability & power), it jz like a hybrid between Voltric & nanoray.

My previous racket is ZSpeed which broke by itself after string break so now i actually considering JS 12 or this Mizuno VS-T. Js 12 is good but i believed it will be very popular racket in the country in another few more months but Mizuno is different bcs it's very rare and not many Malaysians will bother to have a look at it as it not the giants manufacturer in badminton world.

{Current ratio of JS12 : VS-T = 40:60 (I think mostly i will get mizuno)};);)

I am curious , so far which you prefer VS or VA ?! VA will be something similar to JS10 or Zspeed due to the compact frame right ?

So In Malaysia where you bought your racket ? I stay at melaka and so far it's almost impossible for me to get a Mizuno racket here except 1 shop that selling low end Mizuno racket. Mind share the shop you bought from and the price ?

Tq in advance

5. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Hey Jeremy, glad my review served a purpose to you.
    Which Z-Speed are you using? Because the new yellow Z-Speed is awfully stiff for me while the orange is okay. Both VS-T and VA-T are nowhere near as stiff as the yellow Z-Speed.
    If you are accustomed to orange Z-Speed, VA-T is probably more suitable for you because of its 4U weight and small head. If you are accustomed to yellow Z-Speed, you could take a look at VF-T which is 3U in weight with the small head size as VA-T. When I compare the head of my yellow Z-speed and my VA-T, I find that they have the same height but VA-T is wider by 3mm on each 3 and 9 o'clock. So I guess Mizuno is somewhat more forgiving than Z-Speed. Keep in mind that VS-T, VA-T and VF-T have the same frame only differ in weight and frame size.
    Currently I like VS-T more than VA-T, because I could play more consistently with VS-T while VA-T requires more focus to use. I really like JS10 and its speed, VA-T doesn't have the swing speed of JS10 but it has less vibration than JS10. So in my opinion VA-T is more stable than JS10.
    I know Mizuno did came out with 3U VS-T but I'm not sure whether did Mizuno Malaysia brought them in. If you have always been using 3U rackets you might need to search a bit for 3U version of Calibers. On the other hand, I think a lot of MY coded 3U JS12 is above 90grams which is not great if you don't have a strong arm and wrist. To make matter worse, you'll be hard pressed to find a MY coded 4U JS12 because FarEast don't distribute them much. So while JS12 is more popular, it doesn't mean that you could find what you want easily. I recently acquired a AU coded 4U JS12, I'll make an update after I get more feel of it.
    I'll PM you the shop I acquired my Calibers.

6. Jeremyng90

Terima Kasih banyak banyak la !! my previous orange zspeed i using BG 66 UM @ 26 lbs , i agreed with you that orange zspeed actually can consider medium stiff.

I think I will get VS-T too like you said more consistent hitting than VA-T. 3 weeks ago I went to one of the shop named Hongly at Tmn Sentosa , JB , they do provide 4U JS 12 MY code but now i think already sold off d. besides, they also sell alot of Yonex with very cheap price tag (VT 80 Etune less than rm400 )

7. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Great to hear that. Let us know your experience with the VS-T after you've tried it.
    Honly is a good shop. Have bought many things from them thru facebook. Too bad never had the chance to visit their shop.

8. pizzaboi

pizzaboi Mizuno
    Brand Representative

Brand Development
    Great review !

The manufacturers/retailers can only say so much about the rackets, but its reviews from users that makes the difference.

Jeremyng90 and jctai like this.
  9. whitegoh

whitegoh Regular Member

Account Analyst
    Nice review! You wouldn't mind let me know where you bought the racket? I'm interested in Mizuno racket as well! Hard to find it in KL!

jctai likes this.
  10. SuperAA96

SuperAA96 New Member

Student
    @jctai hello! Great Review. Im currently using JPX 8 now and im wonderinf where u bought your vs-t? Or perhaps we could arrange a racket test? I could bring my jpx for u to try too. That is if, u are interested. Im from Subang.

11. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Hi there super. Just let me know when you're free and we could arrange a testing session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jeremyng90

Hey , I just got my Caliber VS Tour as my birthday present and tested it 2 days ago. I love the racket ........... it swing surprisingly fast for a box frame and my net shoot became alot tighter compared to my previous carlton racket.

I love the sound when you hit it !! crisp and sharp

spyweb, jctai and pizzaboi like this.
  13. spyweb

spyweb Regular Member

I tend to agree with jctai that the back court smashes is a bit slow / weak compared to my other racket.(BS12&JS10). But besides this, everything is good like what jctai described.

If you need a well balanced racket, you can't go wrong with this. To me, the VS-Tour deserved to be compared to other well known racket in the market.

#13 spyweb, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Jeremyng90 and pizzaboi like this.
  14. PaitonSport

PaitonSport Regular Member

Good angle

Attached Files:

pizzaboi likes this.
  15. tyshk

tyshk Regular Member

Im interested in the VS Tour, but just found the shaft is kinda stiff (currently using JetSpeed 12 3u).
    Is there a period for ''open up'' the shaft? As for most people who tried this racket saying is mid-stiff instead of stiff that I felt.

Thank you,

16. Jeremyng90

I can assure you that the shaft stiffness between VS Tour and JS 12 is very similar .......... you wont feel much different !

17. tyshk

tyshk Regular Member

Hello Jeremyng,

Thank you for your advice, at the end I chose Caliber Reg, as it reminds me of the Ti 10 (2nd Gen).

18. salepang

salepang Regular Member

Can you review more detail about caliber reg?how can you compare to js12 3u?how about shaft stifness compare to js12?

19. Gomit

Gomit Regular Member

Nice review.
    Which one give more solid feelings between bs12 and vs-t?

20. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

VS-T. Easily.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk