Considering new racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by nsmithers31, Oct 18, 2016.

1. nsmithers31

nsmithers31 Regular Member

Im getting back into badminton after a break for quite a few years, currently playing 3 times a week.

Primarily my 2 hour practices are footwork and shots, with usually 2 games of singles at the end.

Im a large guy, 6'4 and 230lbs, and strength isnt an issue, and I think my technique at hitting is above a beginner. But obviously due to a lengthy break in play, im finding my control of the shuttle is quite off and often push the shuttle to far on a full court clear or too high on net play.

Um using a carbonex 8400, which is what i played with for years back in the day, strung at 20lbs. Im hesitant to string it higher as the racquet is 8 years old and is only meant to go up to 22 or 23lbs. I chose 20 to stay safe

I dont have really any access to a stiff flex racquet strung higher atm or else i could try and see how it feels, but if im having no problems generating power in my shots would I be suitable for a stiffer racquet strung at say 24-25lbs to help increase my control?

Thanks

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Well, what happens when you borrow other people's rackets?
    Comparing with your friends is always a good start.

If you live in complete isolation (not an unknown condition here in Canada) and you have to buy on spec, then I would suggest a racket of similar or only slightly more stiffness than your current racket.... With the same (or similar) string at no more than 2-3 lbs more tension than you are used to.

Incremental change is probably the best way to find your perfect set-up.
    Have fun, and remember you are the most important partnof the gear. :)

3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

If you can get hold of Apacs Lethal 10, you will like it coming from a Carbonex. If you like it a bit head heavy try Lethal 9.

I am using Cab20 (21lbs) and Apacs Lethal 10 is my 2nd racquet strung at 23lbs. I am using Lethal 10 as my doubles racquet since it is way cheaper than my Cab20sp :p and will not break my heart if it breaks !!!

4. bunge1980

bunge1980 Regular Member

Postman
    A higher string tension will certainly help with your shuttle control. But be careful not to string it too high a tension, as with out the correct technique it could cause you to injure yourself.
    If you are looking for a new racket most good retailers will offer a custom restring.
    Depending what spec you are looking for in your racket and budget will depend what rackets to look at.
    I like to use BG80 strings strung at 24lbs and I find this string good for control. But it is always personal preference when playing. I have used Nanogy 98 strings at similar tension and enjoyed the feel of them too.
    I hope this is of help to you.

5. DeathMarkz

DeathMarkz Regular Member

I think it is okay to restring your Carbonex 8400 to a higher tension,I am currently using a Carbonex 6000 df and a Carbonex 9200 which are my parent's when they were young.I re-stringed the Cab 6000 df last year with a tension of 25 and I recently just re-stringed the Cab 9200 with also a tension of 25 as the Cab 6000 df strings were loose.I didn't know what the max tension but it turned out to be fine and the racket playes great.However,I will recommend you to get a better racket.I also recently tried a Nanoray 200 and it was so much better than the both rackets,I am considering to buy a new racket soon.Eyeing the Apacs Lethal 10,Li Ning N90 III and Victor Jetspeed LYD.

6. nsmithers31

nsmithers31 Regular Member

Thanks for the replies

I may try restringing the carbonex to 24 lbs to see how it holds up and changes

In the mean time i just bought a 3u zf2 strung at 24 lbs xD

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Yo!

I see you've already picked up a new racket. It's good that you're not struggling to generate power with your previous racket, and I hope you enjoy your new one.

While I totally understand wanting a brand new racket, I just wanted to throw a few things out there.

1) It is absolutely worth restringing your previous racket - unless it's some ancient $30 thing where restringing isn't worth it. You may find it works just fine for you with a restring.
    2) Clears can be affected by all sorts of things, it could be a technique issue where you're hitting the shuttle too flat and with too much force, rather than more upwards. At that point it'd be perfectly normal for a shuttle to go long.
    3) Fast shuttles can be an issue, if the speed is too fast for your hall, your shots will go long.

Those are just things to keep in mind for why your clears may have been going too long, because changing rackets might not fix this issue.

I hope you enjoy your new racket, just be aware that the ZF2 is a notably challenging racket to use. Many players have difficulty using the racket. The most important thing you keep an eye on is that the racket doesn't hurt your arm while you play. Be extra vigilant on the matter when switching rackets because you can injure yourself - especially with a head heavy, fast racket like the ZF2.

Regardless, best of luck with your new racket!