Do you change your racket when going from double to single ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tib67, Nov 23, 2016.

1. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job
    I got a racket for single (VTZF2) but since we are mostly playing double at my club, I am planning to go after a racket for double (at least I will try a few models and see how it goes)

League play is often 2 matchs : first double and then single so my question is do you change your racket going from double to single or do you keep the same one ?

My guess is it can leads to a few mishits and the difference may be difficult to handle in the first game.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would not change models but I might have a slightly different grip size.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

No I probably wouldn't change but what I would prefer is to use a doubles friendly racket for both as opposed to a singles friendly racket for both.

4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

If I wanted to be competitive in both, I agree with this.

I prefer MS to MD personally, even if I play more MD so I end up using a 3U ZF2 for doubles. I know it hurts my game - I can tell on those defence shots that Im millisecond late on.

Then again, when my strings break, I swap to a 4U VT80. It's a good racquet for doubles, but I find I'm adjusting for at least 2 games before I settle into it. The settle in is such that I easily play worse than using my 3U ZF2 in doubles. If you're switching between racquets often, then I'd at least have a really good warm up with it.

I haven't got two of the same just yet because I'm still not 100% convinced the ZF2 is what's best for me. Right now footwork is a priority, so I'm changing as little else as possible!

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Singles - NS9900.. It gives me more control. I am more of a control player than an attacking player.

Doubles - VZF2, LN n90, Nanoray 900, Panda power Ultra

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Ya, for club play I don't really care too much what racket I use, just what I feel like that day. For competition if I was playing in multiple events I'd stick to one racket

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I'm using one racket for both disciplines (MS and MD) and give more emphasis on the singles. If I don't like a racket for singles I don't care how good it is in doubles. I don't want to constantly switch between different rackets in competitive important matches.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  8. tib67

tib67 Regular Member

no job
    Yeah that's what I thought, it's better not to change model in multiple event competition, especially the kind of drastic change I'm planning to do... The better is to find a racket that suit both games if we play both.