Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In CBA, they used to have a saying, for every month you take a break, you need twice as much time to regain your form.

According to Li Yongbo, Chen Long took a break , about three months, after the Rio OG, and only recently returned to the national training centre (he didn't say when, perhaps a month ago).

So after the CHN Open PSS, Chen Long intends to immerse himself in training, skip the HK Open SS and the Dubai SSF for which as Olympic Champion he's automatically qualified, and, hopefully , come back better prepared, stronger and in top form to usher in the new year.

As there is no SS tourneys in Jan and Feb next year, expect him to appear at the All England in March 2017.

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I hope CL will get revenge over Jorgensen soon.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Absolutely, the Chen Long of Rio'16 will be back !

Look forward to it.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I feel that Chen Long as the reigning World and Olympic Champion and World Ranked No.2 shouldn't skip the Dubai Superseries Finals. It is his obligation to compete in the prestigious superseries culmination tournament to lend his support and uphold its status as the preeminent event outside the WC and OG.

As it is, with only the top eight qualified, I think it's not representative enough, much better to expand it to say top 16 of four groups of four players each. But, understandably, the worry is the year-end event which is supposed to be the climax may actually involved contestants who may not be in tip-top condition after a long year of hectic schedule playing practically non-stop for the majority of them, apart form those coming back from injury layoff or a break but still managed to qualify.

Even so,I was thinking BWF have already left January and February of each year empty of any Superseries events, effectively allowing most of the top 20 players or so to take a much-needed break from active competition and rejuvenate themselves thereby and get ready for the new opening season beginning in March.

So Chen Long would have two months after the SSF to take a break from active international competition (he might probably still play in the domestic Chinese Badminton Super League) and immerse himself in comprehensive systematic training which he said he needed to better prepare himself and regain his form for the new year.

No doubt, winning the SSF is not a priority, it's not a major title to him or generally speaking for most players, particularly for Chen Long who has just acquired the Olympic gold to add to his two world titles, but it will be great to see him grace the occasion with other top players , esp for us badminton fans worldwide.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I think Chen Long's decline is real. You just don't get manhandled by JOJ that easily if you are in your prime.

I think Lee Chong Wei has a great chance of winning in 2017 Scotland and 2020 Tokyo.

6. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    He'll have to bring his walking stick to 2020 Tokyo

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Lee Chong Wei will peak in 2024. What are you saying? Age doesn't know who Lee Chong Wei is,Lin Dan does.

Rob3rt and racketman123 like this.
  8. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Whatever it is LD will be the GOAT for still a long time both in badminton and BEDminton. Envy ! envy! envy!.

#848 tbgoh288, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Tokyo 2020 is pushing it, LCW's style of attacking game doesn't permit it unless he transforms into another Lee Hyun Il but then he is not LCW anymore.

As for Chen Long, I don't think he's on the decline yet, lack of tournament practice is a real issue. Besides, he is known to sometimes to get caught up by the opponent's sudden or unexpected surge in form and didn't know how to break out of it, playing to the opponent's rhythm instead of his own. Let's wait and see.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ya, Lin Dan sure knows how to get the most out of both, but to redeem himself, he has to now return to his BADminton prowess, at least for a reasonable period of time until his BEDminton saga blows over. I really hope so.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  11. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Err... Am i the only one who thinks next MS Olympic gold belong to CL?

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hard to say, four years is a long time in badminton terms. But I've to admit Chen Long is likely to be one of the main contenders, esp after seeing how he played and won at Rio'16 which impressed me almost as much as Lin Dan's at Beijing'08.

Both Chen Long and Lin Dan were at their respective pinnacle then.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Meh, Lin Dan will beat that CL, 12 and 12. He was unplayable in Beijing. Chen Long looked very vulnerable against Son Wan Ho and a tired LCW pushed him to his limit.

Rob3rt likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan at Beijing'08 is superior to Chen Long at Rio'16 but not by a lot, in my humble opinion, certainly not by the scoreline you suggested.

I won't underestimate Chen Long's remarkable physicality, his extraordinary athleticism, agility, height and reach translated at his best to overpowering attacks and amazing defenses to overwhelm his opponents. The only vulnerability he showed was in losing the second set to Son Wan Ho but thoroughly besting him in G1 and G3, and disposing of all the rest in spectacular fashion.

I disagree that LCW was tired in the final unlike Lin Dan in the bronze playoff, not just because LCW himself denied he was but based on my observation and assessment of his fitness level in any tournament where he started fresh, and he had a good rest and was well prepared for the Rio Olympics. Only one tournament at the Olympics where he even had a rest day after the group stage followed by another three rounds , that is QF, SF and Final, is no sweat to him as far as fitness and stamina is concerned as he's proven in all the other tournaments prior to the Olympics. That's just my opinion.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

I don't know man. Lin Dan was trained by 'The GrandMaster' physically,mentally and emotionally for 100 days.

Chen Long was trained by Collar up coach.

Lin Dan much faster,much stronger and much more Badminton IQ.

Chen Long with better defense but heavily invested in defending too.

I am not sure either. Could be 8 and 10 too.

16. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Funny, because Lin Dan went through similar ruts after big tournaments. He's no exemplar of consistency.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nah, Lin Dan was the epitome of consistency till 2012.

Who can forget his epic World Championship + French Open + China Open + Hong Kong Open + Super Series Finals swoop in 2011, best in the history of Sport. Unprecedented, Unparalleled, ultra unique.....Dan Dan Dan.....LINNNNNNNNNNN DANNNNNN.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The way he dismantled Sho Sasaki at the China Open - epic! He was playing every shot in the book and was walking on water...

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd say Lin Dan lost his consistency after LOG'12, a changed man with new goals in life and other interests and distractions, badminton no longer his top priority that's why.

As for Lin Dan vs Chen Long at their respective best, it'd be great if we can get Lee CW's assessment as he has played both of them at their best and he's so familiar with therm playing so many times together. I'd hazard a guess that LCW would more or less agree with me that Lin Dan is superior but not by as much as some of us thought it'd be, a clear edge, yes.

Lee CW said ' there is only one Lin Dan' and on Chen Long, the best he's said of him is he's just too good in the Rio Olympic final and that he (LCW) played better than he did in the WCs and LOG'12 (though this is debatable).

It's fine, we can agree to disagree, we each have our own opinion based on our knowledge, experience, and understanding, however meagre mine is. Still, I'm sure Li Yongbo, Xia Xuanze. even Tang Xianhu who predicted Chen Long's rise, and other past CHN greats like Sun Jun, Xiong Guobao, Dong Jiong, as well as their fellow compatriots like Chen Jin, Du Pengyu, Wang Zhengming, Tian Houwei, etc, will be able to give us a clear assessment of the two - and I venture to say they are likely to agree with me.

Perhaps the reason why Chen Long fails to convince some of us is due to his not too few instances where he lost surprisingly in a run-of-the-mill manner to players he's expected to beat, particularly on those occasions when it mattered. The picture of him getting beaten unceremoniously is most unflattering and certainly won't go down well even for his ardent fans. But we are talking about comparing the two supreme masters at their best which, however, a considerable degree of subjectivity is unavoidable. My 2 cents.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, I remember that scintillating match, it's like watching the maestro Lin Dan creating a masterpiece on court.