Racket Weights

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by badmintony, Nov 30, 2016.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Can anyone please explain how rackets of similar model can have two weight versions? Like for example, what do they add or tweak on a 4U Lin Dan Force to make it a 3U? The specs are exactly the same but the weights differ by a few grams, so how do they do it?

2. mybeareagle

mybeareagle Regular Member

4u is 80-84g, 3u is 85-89g. Same materials will have different weight. Coloring also affected the weight. That's why tell different in each group is about 4g. Yonex make thousand of same model rackets. That is impossible to get all rackets at exact same weight.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

3. mybeareagle

mybeareagle Regular Member

Make a racket took few tens process. Make thousand of same model rackets, definitely can't control every racket at exact same weight.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

4. badmintony

Thanks mybeareagle. I'm aware of the differences in weight values between 4U and 3U but that wasn't my question. My question is more about what do racket manufacturers do to make a given model lighter or heavier, thus, the 2 weight versions of it. I don't believe colors have that much effect on the racket's weight, and besides, the example i gave is for a similar model which obviously have the same color schemes.

5. Taeivon

Taeivon Regular Member

Normal manufacturing practices will normally give them the different weights that they required. All they need to do is to QC the weights of every individual rackets and sort them accordingly to the weight groups that they fall into. Of course some outliers will be there.

Same goes for most of the manufacturing plants everywhere.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Racket heads and shafts are hollow, they aren't solid, so it would be simple enough to make the walls thicker or thinner.

7. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I used to believe this too, but my 4U ZFII is much more hollow and flimsy feeling than my 3U ZFII. It becomes more apparent at higher tensions, where the 4U feels "unstable" compared to the 3U. It appears to me that the 3U has much more material in the head, and the balance is a little head heavier (305mm vs 312mm), same string, same tension and same size grips.

8. badmintony

Yea, I think this makes a lot sense as the material used for the head & shaft seems to be the part that's easiest to make some adjustments, except maybe in the case of the E-Tunes version where there's an additional external devices used.