Badminton England Funding

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by racketman123, Dec 9, 2016.

1. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I don't really keep up to date Badminton England news as much as I should, but recently UK Sports have remove funding for the badminton programme for Tokyo 2020.
    After a very surprising bronze medal in MD I am even more surprised about this decision.

I'm not really sure what to think, and I know this may not be a huge deal to many of you here, but I am curious to know what you think of this.

Below are some links, outlining the situation:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/badminton/38270475

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...-Emms-stunned-badminton-funding-stripped.html

https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/...WS&year=&month=&newsprofilecode=#.WEs5UPmLSUk

Also, hopefully you won't mind be posting this, but Paul has written a short statement on Facebook that I found to be quite useful :
    https://www.facebook.com/PaulStewartBadmintonCoach/?fref=ts
    @paulstewart64

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Paul wrote some valid points.

Let's face the reality.

The bronze medal was a fluke. Just like Msias mixed doubled silver. There really isnt enough depth in UK. You cannot rely on one pair. For a population of 60million, UK is underperforming.

I have seen some level one coaches. Their basic skill is poor. However at that level, developing interest and basic strokes should be the priority. Should there be a strict assessment of the strokes and techniques of the coach before getting level 2?

I had a look at the older coaching manual from BAofE. Cost a lot of money when it was widely available. The content was very disorganised.

My friend has to drive her daughter over an hour to get to the nearest performance centre - a two hour session is split into fitness for one hour, hitting shuttles for the next hour. That's once a week.

Edit - I am surprised cycling got funding cut.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...wheelchair-rugby-olympic-funding-cut-uk-sport

#2 Cheung, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  3. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    Good points.
    One positive thing I can say is that from my own perspective the amount of people playing badminton has increased, especially in schools. At the simplest level, this is step in the right direction.

I've seen similar situations where very able players have to travel nearly an hour to train. There is an unfortunate inevitability about strong county players, the truth is that the vast majority won't make it. Even if they do, at the moment, GB can't compete with the very best.

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

The only player that can reasonably be expected to perform is Chris Adcock. Even Gabby is only 'the best they can do' as opposed to a real top-level player.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Which really shows the lack of depth in the squad.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Defnitely increased numbers can only be a good thing. Ideally some sort of target of less than an hour's travel one way would be the way to go.

However, when my friend told me the session had an hour of fitness, I was a bit surprised. Maybe it wasn't like that. Perhaps she couldn't tell the difference between fitness and footwork exercises. But can you develop players skills in a performance centre with only 60mins of hitting shuttles?

7. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    To be honest at my county training they don't seem to mix fitness with gameplay. It's either one or the other.

8. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

When I first started playing, it was an hour and a half of fitness followed by half an hour of drills. I didnt even hit a shuttle one session! As a beginner this was horrible but to be fair, I was dumped in an advanced junior class to start off with.

racketman123 likes this.
  9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This doesn't really surprise me very much at all - a silver in Athens and a blatantly-fluked bronze in Rio is all we've got to show for 30-odd years of Olympic badminton. Annoying? Absolutely. But not surprising.

The cycling is a surprise, though, because we batter everybody at that!

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think a big issue in badminton in the UK is the circle jerking. Some individuals make it very difficult for others to get involved with the sport. I've seen some very antisocial attitudes in the sport where I am, and I'd love nothing more than to slap them upside the head and tell them to cut the crap.

ed_b2009 likes this.
  11. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    Even at my local club, the people a usually very nice (except for f***ing Neil, but hasn't come in a while), and we get some quite talented players come for 1 session, or occasionally two and they say they live fairly close and that they used to play regularly but haven't for a while and are looking for a club to get back into it again.

But then they never show up again.

I've only been at my club for about 3/4 years now and then amount of new faces from when I started is probably less than the amount of people who no longer turn up. I know that badminton is gaining popularity in schools, because I have seen it for myself, but the opposite is being told at my club.

12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I've had all sorts of.. colourful.. encounters with people over badminton.

- A coach who laughed and told me there would be no way I'd pass my coaching qualification
    - A shop owner threw a hissyfit because I bought my own stringing machine
    - Someone get mad after I refused to play with them after they swore at me mid-game for not doing what they wanted me to (they wanted me to toe the T and never rotate backwards)
    - A player throw a game and go home early because I asked them to stand over to the side a little bit during service (the opponents were constantly flicking down the middle, and them standing on the centre line was making me nervous)

One of the well-known incidents in the area was player notorious for deterring people. This particular club would partner the person with new people looking at joining the club, and he'd constantly shout at them mid-rally and post-rally.

Honestly, the children have better manners in badminton than the adults around here.

racketman123 likes this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Bronze at Sydney as well.

To be honest, there must be some other objective criteria by which amount of funding is dependent on. It would be helpful to know what these are.

14. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

I think this happens in all sports though, but the gaining popularity in Badminton kind of means some unpleasant characters will take up a racquet. There's someone I know in the club I play for who is EXACTLY like this. He's such a nasty character. If you make an error by hitting into the net, he will sternly look at you and tell you 'don't get it, let them get it' and happily say 'it's his fault!'. He also gives random bits of advice, which arent necessarily bad but he'll give you a stern look as say 'always serve to the T' but then his facial expression is basically saying 'you're fukkin ****, mate. serve to the T you piece of crap'.

I think it's just something we're going to witness more and more as Badminton gained popularity. As with everything, a few rotten apples can have a huge, profound effect.

15. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

...a very good (and brave) post. If it hasn't caused you to wince, p.5 of the '100 point plan' of 2006 just might:

https://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/core/core_picker/download.asp?id=2328

smautf

16. racketman123

Dentist in training...

Be recognised as the No 1 World playing nation defined by general consent, rankings and Championship success by 2016 (Second to None!). Having achieved European No. 1 status we must build on the successes for the next six year cycle demonstrated up to 2012 by:

Did I read that right.

Also...

• A minimum of two male singles players being in the World Top 10 • A minimum of one female singles player being in the World Top 10 • One medal at World level in all 5 events

Was that really going to happen...

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wow. If that is the criteria by which funding was based upon, then no wonder badminton is not getting any money. England are way behind. However, this is only an internal target.

Still, it is yet to be confirmed what exactly wer the criteria for funding distribution. I would be really interested to know. Shouldn't it be common knowledge?

18. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    You would think so....

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Those good people petitioning for funding to be reinstated must know...

Hope they come here and share tgeir knowledge.

racketman123 likes this.
  20. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I don't know why they focus on singles either.
    You'd think they'd look at the past decade and realise their successes have come from the doubles disciplines, not singles.