Yonex BG66 Ultimax

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by brisac, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Dear @Soumyadeep Dhar,

I have read that you play with plastics. BG66UM with plastics is a difficult combination in terms of durability. As a student at 14yo, you can't spend much money for several restrings. I suggest you 2 things:

• stick with BG66UM, but lower your tension to max. 22lbs to get more durability
    • bin the BG66UM and switch to something which is more durable like BG80 Power or NBG99 and also go for max. 22lbs
    To answer your question about how long it will last I can't tell you a real number. IMO nobody can't. I guess that you will get 2-3 month out of the BG80P and NBG99. BG66UM maybe 1-2 month. Don't be disappointed, it's just a rough experience based on my clients data. At your age I don't recommend anything more than 22lbs. You are growing and more can harm your body. Good luck.

FeatherBlaster and rattos like this.
  2. Soumyadeep Dhar

Soumyadeep Dhar New Member

What is d minimum tension I can lower upto ??

3. Soumyadeep Dhar

And what is d best string for max power and max durability??? Cost no hindrance

4. Soumyadeep Dhar

I saw that bg66um is d best string for value for money.....plus gr8 repulsion....

5. Soumyadeep Dhar

See

Attached Files:

6. Babar

Babar Regular Member

People are so patient with you, I am amazed. Forget your chart, all your questions have already been answered. Trust the people from BC. Go for 66UM or NBG99 at 22lbs

s_mair likes this.
  7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

My thoughts exactly. Must be the Christmas spirit. ;)

8. Soumyadeep Dhar

I'm very curious
    ...:D:D

9. Soumyadeep Dhar

BTW ....thank u for ur opinions everyone....

10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Tbh it is always a trade-off. Durability is a characteristic of thicker strings, which means less repulsion. More repulsion is mostly based on thinner strings which suffer in terms of durability. To compremise, you need to find something in the middle of both characteristics. FME BG66UM is an expensive string, with great performance on the first days and then it dies or break. I broke it on 2nd day several times. IMO not a great value for money string. NBG98 packs a bunch of power too, lasts a bit longer, but will be worse in the feel and control department. I think you will find anything in NBG99 or BG80Power. 22lbs is a good tension for plastics and guys at your age and don't underestimate yourself. The player is the most important factor for power.:)

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah, instead of wishing everybody a Happy New Year, I try to reflect on myself and try to make the new year for other people happier due beeing a nicer and more friendly person. I don't wish, I try to make. ;)

s_mair likes this.
  12. Soumyadeep Dhar

Just one last question from THIS irritating guy.....pls answer it guyz...
    1.can I go down till 20 lbs for bg66um?? Will repulsion increase or maybe decrease?... Or what will be d effects?? Leave aside control.
    ..pls answer

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    IMO It's a bad trade off, to go for a fragile string with plastics and lower it to a nearly unplayable tension before it drops much, which is common for BG66UM.

I think that every player is used to an area of playable tension. I can't tell you if you will benefit from lower tension or not. As a stringer a rarely string 20lbs. Just have 2 customers who use it for ages and will never change. I can tell you that I can generate more power at higher tension, but some can't or are not used to it, or don't have the right technique or physical strength which is okay. Not everybody shoes fit everybody. Without knowing you, I'm sorry that I just can answer in this manner.

At my club I have also a junior team at your age which also plays with plastics and most are happy with 21-22lbs. Most choose BG65, The stronger boys normally BG80P in orange, the little Girls often BG65TI because it's pink.

To make it short: I think that BG80Power or NBG99 will perform much, much better at 22lbs instead BG66UM at 20lbs and I think that you can't go wrong with NBG99. FME thinner strings come alive at higher tensions, while thicker strings will end early at high tension and drop performance.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

@ucantseeme
    Better go easy on your niceness and patience, there's still 361 days left to go...

s_mair likes this.
  15. Soumyadeep Dhar

OK.....its very complicated.... But what tension do u recommend for boys at my age??I also read in d net that if u play wid plastic, then u should probably lower ur tension by 1 or 2 lbs as it required more power.....so ultimately, what tension for bg66um should u recmommend for boys at my age???

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Before @ucantseeme's niceness and patience supplies are running low already (it's still a long year and there will be a lot of others who will also require a bit of both...;)), I step in with a hopefully useful answer.

No, it's not complicated at all if you read (and think about) the answers given at least a little bit. Every player has to find out for himself/herself what string and what tension he/she likes best. Thing is: You just have to start at one point and then see for yourself how you like it and if you want to change something for the next restring. In your case, I'm fully with @ucantseeme - go with NBG99 or BG80Power @21 lbs. and simply start playing for heaven's sake! Both strings provide very good repulsion and durability and work well with plastic shuttles too. In general, 21 lbs. is also a good tension to hit plastic shuttles. I would also recommend to stay away from BG66UM for plastic shuttles. It will lose power and feel very quickly.

Let me give you another advice: Something tells me that you should far more think about how to hold and swing a racket correctly instead of making yourself (and others) crazy about terms like repulsion, peak tension and other nonsense like that. Your technique makes 90% of the power in your shots. The racket and strings is another 5% each at maximum. So go out there and work on your technique - and stop worrying about your string. It will not make you a better player or win one single game more or less if you have BG65, BG66UM, BGAS or NGB99 on your racket.

#56 s_mair, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    freakyGameR, dave010 and Goggles like this.
  17. Soumyadeep Dhar

Thank u sir for d tips....very helpful....

18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I wouldn't recommend a junior player BG66UM if he uses plastics. If the player mishit sometimes, I would recommend BG65. If he plays a bit better and don't mishit and can hit properly I recommend BG80P or NBG99, but normally recommend to test the string from a teammate first to discover if he likes it or not.

You are right, that a bit less tension on a racket might be useful for plastics. By how much, depends on the player and his tension. 21-22lbs is the lowest border of a useful tension, which I recommend to you to be 100% on the safe side in terms of tension.

If you choose performance, you will never get far with durabilty, so please bin BG66UM, regardless what any chart says how good this string is, because any chart and advertising is interested to make you buy. If you choose durability, you will always suffer in terms of performance.

I give you a great advice in a friendly manner for sucess in the future: Invest more time in drills and training, instead of overthink too much about your racket, string and tension. You are young and have much room to improve, at your age you will learn very quick. Trust in yourself and abilities, be focused on yourself, think about your weak areas and try to cover them/try to improve.

Best regards.

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Don't worry guys, I was yesterday at training a really badass. There's enough for everyone. :)

20. Soumyadeep Dhar

Thank u sir....u have really boosted my confidence...