Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I suspect Bao Yixin and Liu Cheng fell out over their failing to qualify for Rio'16 , pipped by Xu Chen/Ma Jin at the eleventh hour.

Tang Yuanting/Li Yinhui combi looks attractive, very good suggestion, in that case Huang Dongping is left hanging. Perhaps TYT with the another young junior Du Yue who is now being mentored by Xu Chen ? There's another girl called Xu Ya who used to partner Du Yue in the junior circuit. Btw, Du Yue and Li Yinhui were also junior circuit partners. We've to wait for TYT to come back, hopefully she does, before we know how CBA is going to reshuffle some of the WD.

Talking about Xu Chen, I'm surprised he's still around after his XD partner Ma Jin retired. I remember he credited MJ for giving his career a new lease of life, even going to Rio, and now instead of retiring, he seems to get a second wind and enjoying himself at age 32, even become a 'cradle snatcher' pairing up with the 19-yr-old Du Yue. :p:D He could be just playing a mentoring role but he's also into MD with Liu Xiaolong for the AE next week, and previously with someone else, if I'm not wrong, with Fu Haifeng once.

2. Li Zhi

Li Zhi New Member

The downfall of China badminton started when they failed to win the Thomas Cup 2014 losing to Japan 2014 at the semifinals of Thomas Cup 2014. Then worse still in Thomas Cup 2016 China lose in the quarterfinals to Korea 1-3. Well the situation worsen when China could not defend the 5 gold medals they had won at London Olympics 2012. At one go and one look at it, it has been obvious. China had nobody to blame but themselves. China live in the pride of having the best players who can win over any players in the past.

But now the story has changed. China with so many people and with a large population and a large sports academy should not have ended up in such a state as of now. Only the best players can be selected to enter the national team. Yet what we are seeing as of now is different.

The answer has been very obvious. China seriously need a new head coach to take over. Look at Japan today. How successful they are. Those people in China can only envy and look at how successful Japan is till today. So why is Japan so successful? This is because they have a good head coach to helm and manage things well. If China had good management and managed the team well China would not have been where it is today. In a disastrous state.

Those people in China understand what is happening in China. But the situation will not get any better. Sometimes blind worshipping of idols is never good. I also keep wanting the China players to win all the time. But reality is not like that. Most of them are not winning. Lin Dan is not as good as last time. Chen Long has never shown any consistent result. In year 2016 he won nothing except for Olympics MS gold medal.

Worse still the failed partnership of Tang Yuanting / Yu Yang. And also the chaos caused during the bronze medal play off during Olympics 2016. It is so embarrassing for the whole world to see it. Yu Yang behave in such a manner because of her unhappiness over how things have been managed in CBA. She has kept it deep inside her heart so well and suddenly she just exploded during Olympics 2016.

Well if Tang Yuanting did not partner Yu Yang for her WD matches she would not have ended up retiring at such a young age.

Many times I would also like to paint a good picture for China badminton. But reality is not. No matter how I wanted to tell lies and say that every thing is good. The reality is not. It is always easy to give lots and lots of excuses when players don't win in China. But the sad reality is everything points to a serious mismanagement in China badminton. If no action is taken I am afraid China badminton will not revive back to it's glorious moments.

3. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    difference between japan and china IS the willingness to spend time to nurture champions.Park Joo Bong has spent as much time when he became the coach to nurture them whereas china likes efficiency aka immediate results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Li Zhi likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You seem to be sounding the death knell for CHN badminton.

Actually, after the unprecedented LOG'12 clean sweep which surprised even Li Yongbo himself, there were already signs of problems in the management and the system but everybody was carried away by the unexpected euphoria of CHN badminton reaching a zenith of five gold medals for the first time in the history of the sport that so much so any negative thoughts or issues were temporarily ignored, swept under the carpet or receded into the background only to surface later as they finally did as we now know and aptly described by you.

But there was one big difference between LOG'12 and Rio'16 - I'm not referring to the medal haul - which is undeniable and should not be overlooked, that is the new quota ruling of max two OG spots per NOC for each discipline which effectively diminished CHN's chances at medalling substantially for, instead of having three shots at gold,it was considerably reduced to two,that is by one-third the probability, roughly speaking. In other words, the new ruling was nearly a game changer; however, that's only part of the problem.

Supposing the old ruling of three per NOC quota was still in force at Rio'16, a different set of what-if scenarios might play itself out but I shan't go in that direction as I consider it an exercise in futility. Besides, it contributed to only part of the problem as there were or are other just as serious issues affecting Team CHN which you've pointed out, generally management lapses, as well as personal issues involving Lin Dan, Yu Yang, the triangular relationship problem of Zhang Nan-Zhao Yunlei-Tian Qing, Li Xuerui's mental fragility, not to mention the rest of the world catching up, and so on and so forth, for which we need not elaborate as they were thoroughly discussed before in this forum.

On the whole I acknowledge what you said,I'm not in denial, just that I'm not so pessimistic and, no, it's not blind worship on my part. As a matter of fact, I originally called for Li Yongbo to step down for no matter how magnificent his contributions and accomplishments are in his long tenure as Head Coach, he has consciously or unconsciously become part of the problem as he plays a big role in the CHN badminton system since helming CBA in 1993, having a hand in most of the major decisions. As such there's no way he can shirk responsibility for the downward trend, evident in a number of dismal results, the worst in recent years, and a couple of embarrassing incidents which he ought to have prevented from erupting in the open if he had paid closer attention to it.

My take was for someone else to take over him in the hope of new broom sweeps clean as I don't expect LYB to take the bull by the horns. Apparently, the higher management has expressed unmistakable displeasure with the situation immediately after Rio'16 and indirectly criticised him short of a reprimand. But as we know, he was not removed from the post and was given a chance to make amends which I largely attribute to his good fortune in having the young echelon of players, most of them in the 18 - 21 age group, suddenly showing impressive potential and great promise in garnering some eye-catching results lately just when things are threatening to be doom and gloom, what with the mass retirement of several of their elite players at the same time, including the (temporary?) stepping away of Tang Yuanting for personal reasons and Li Xuerui's long injury layoff, apart from some top, veteran players winding down.

As the situation is beginning to look up for Team CHN though not entirely out of the woods yet, I feel we can take heart and have faith in the long, illustrious tradition of CHN badminton, in their resilience, their resoluteness, their depth of talents, as exemplified and embodied in the Chinese women's volleyball spirit at Rio Olympics !

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Pan Li replaced Liu Yong as the chief coach for WD and will be assisted by Guo Zhengdong and Yu Yang (M) [not the female WD player but a male coach by the same name].

Li Yongbo remains as Head Coach and now has two deputy head coach assisting him, Tian Bingyi as before and Zhong Bo.

MS chief coach is still Xia Xuanze.

WS chief coach also no change, Chen Jin.

MD chief coach is Zhang Jun.

XD not mentioned.

7. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Wow, chill with the firing range here, there are many reasons why China isn't dominant as before in the olympics. China still has two gold medals, more than any other nation, you guys have assumed China has turned into trash.

Other countries have picked it up
    A country is only allowed to send two top players/teams to Rio, compared to 3 in 2012.
    China divested a lot of their money into education, away from sports

8. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

With the Zheng Siwei Zhang nan combination, we don't have an actual smasher. Despite what people think, this is still necessary. Look at Ahsan Setiawan combination after Ahsan got an injury in the back.

Cheung likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

From what I've gathered, most parents with only one child, don't want or are reluctant to have their children take up professional sports as a career and devoting their best years to it, and badminton is not an attractive choice as it doesn't pay well relative to some other sports China excels in.

The situation is getting worse as China becomes more and more affluent, becoming the second largest economy by GDP or the largest now by PPP, and set to overtake the USA as the largest in the world in 2031 with a gross domestic product valued at $35.26 trillion, according to the CEBR, some other economic consultancies predicted an even earlier date, say 2018 by Forbes, or 2020 by another expert.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    China now allows two children per family and soon they will be paying people to have extra children. Such is the worry about their demographics. All we have to do is be patient for another 20 years until these extra children grow up!

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    even though the one-child policy was ended 18 months ago, there is no baby boom in China...

Hu Xingdou, economics professor at Beijing Institute of Technology, said rising costs for housing and education had increased the burden of raising children. Meanwhile, the development of a more comprehensive social security system has reduced the impulse towards large families. Traditionally, parents relied on children for support in old age.

“Besides, entertainment options are so plentiful these days, so there’s a substitution effect — by not having children, you can save time and money, while enriching your own life,” said Mr Hu.
    https://www.ft.com/content/f11cdcbe-fa50-11e6-9516-2d969e0d3b65

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Births did increase but not as many as had been hoped.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, I read that, a two-child policy now.

Indeed an aging population has serious repercussions for any economy. China is facing it, so is Japan, even more severe. Still a balance has to be struck for overpopulation has just as serious consequences. In fact, the world is facing the problem of overpopulation which is dangerously threatening our food and water resources possibly leading to wars.

The world population is now 7.5 billion and forecast to grow to 9 billion before 2040 and projected to reach 10 billion by 2056.
    http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, the two-child policy is not working as the authority hoped for the time being.

15. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

It is precisely the reason why China is not churning out champions like they are coming off a conveyor belt anymore. I believe affluence has changed the attitudes of many parents in China towards professional sports. Education comes first as per Chinese culture especially when the parents can afford it. For all I know players like Qin Jingjing whom I regard to be as good as CYF is now happily studying in a university somewhere, maybe even in a foreign university. I hope Lin Guipu is not in the same boat, very selfish of me as a fan of Chinese badminton. Will TYT even come back into the sport ?

16. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What you said is true, my worries and sentiments exactly.

Not only China has several world class sports vying for the same shrinking sporting talent base, there are a few relatively new sports fast gaining in popularity and traction, including athletics, cricket, ice hockey, American football(hope not, I dislike it, too violent), snooker, tennis, for example.

tbgoh288 likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

19. Li Zhi

Li Zhi New Member

This year All England 2017 China players won only 1 XD title. But of course the performance is better than China Open 2016 whereby China players won no titles. Yet and yet China players are supposed to be the best players. I recalled watching how Chen Long lost horribly to Jan O Jorgensen at the stadium. Not to mention that I had to go through the pain of seeing China players losing in the finals on China Open 2016 and won absolutely no titles then.

I kept giving myself so many excuses. I kept saying Lin Dan is the best player on earth and best MS player ever. So I told myself If Lin Dan lose means he is not interested to play, never try, never want to win, reserve energy and so on. But no matter whatever excuses that I can give when Lin Dan don't win, it clearly points to one point a player who is not fit and have no more stamina to play on anymore. Worse part of all it is so difficult to believe how Lin Dan has ended up in such a state.

Then I have to tell myself Chen Long is China best MS player. I kept giving lots and lots of excuses. I said Chen Long is a good MS player. Chen Long is a good MS player because he wins no MS titles throughout the whole year of 2016 but can win one Olympics 2016 gold medal. That itself prove that Chen Long can win. But the question is if Chen Long is that good how come he can only win one Olympics 2016 MS gold medal? If Chen Long is really that good he should have been winning more MS titles instead of one Olympic MS gold medals only in 2016. That shows that he is not good enough and there is no consistency in it.

Come this year 2017, Lin Dan lose tamely to Emil Holst. Could LIn Dan win over Emil Holst? Yes he could but he tried and played to his level best already. Just that running out of stamina just as usual so he cannot win. Never mind then Chen Long lose tamely to Wang Tzu Wei in German Open. Now Chen Long lose to Tanongsak. Chen Long tried and he played to his level best but he got outplayed by his opponent. So where is the winning consistency?

All in I myself would have love to give lots and lots of excuses when China players don't win. It is so easy to give excuses. Saying this and that. But reality points out to the facts that China players are not that good anymore. So many players from other countries are coming up. Here in China there are certainly no changes made. Training method still the old style old method. No changes so how can players win? The head coach Li Yongbo did not want to change his coaching and training method. He preferred to stick to old methods that will not work anymore. But yet he claims that he cannot retire not until he produces 100 world champions.

Worse still the constant changes in the doubles partnership. The changes of doubles partnership in China is done so frequently. Perhaps Li Yongbo have forgotten that it takes a long time to nurture good double players. A lot of time is indeed needed to groom up the pairs. Players need to be given time with their partners so they can know and understand each other better. Now what I am seeing is different partnership will be formed for different tournaments.

Constant changes of partnership has caused China the gold medals for XD and WD in Olympics 2016. Yet Li Yongbo never learn. How many good WD players are being forced to sit at home watching their not so good WD players play in Rio Olympics 2016 while they the better ones cannot even play in Rio Olympics 2016? How horrible can this feeling be? Now why good and better China WD players cannot go and play in Olympics 2016? So simple constant changes in WD partnership made their world ranking so low till they cannot qualify to play in Olympics 2016.

All Li Yongbo is interested is winning gold medals in tournaments. He is no more interested to nurture good long lasting double pairs that can win. I am not saying that all the players constantly change their partners. There are lucky players whose partnership have been retained and no changes made. But most of the double players keep on changing partnership frequently. Li Yonhbo has forgotten that it took years to build up and nuture a good double pairs. The best example here is Misaki Matsutomo / Ayaka Takahashi. Their mutual understanding and team work with each other helped them to win so many WD titles. If these 2 payers constantly change their WD partnership will they be able to win anything?

So all in everything only points to one thing. Mismanagement and constant changes in partnership for the doubles caused China badminton to be in such an alarming state. It does not mean that Li Yongbo is not good as the head coach. Perhaps his time is up. It is time to let other people take over his place as the head coach. Sometimes, being as the head for so many years people tend to get complacent and refused to change their methods of training. All in the only way to revive China to its most glorious moments in badminton is none other than change a new head coach. It is indeed a necessity by now considering the poor results shown by China players.

20. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

There are two issues which annoy me:
    Care far too much about issues that are almost irrelevant.
    Pretend they are experts when they are nowhere near strong enough to have a worthwhile opinion. This is the one happening now.

OK, LD is 33. There is probably truth to him not being able two consecutive days. CL was a developing player in 2014, 2015 and thus won many superseries titles as part of the learning curve. Now he's the best. Who needs other titles when he has the last 3 world championships under his belt? Everyone saves up their best strategies for the big ones like the olympics. The superseries winners last year were an extremely poor indication of who won the medals in the Rio olympics in all countries.

Li yongbo is so smart you'll never be able to fathom. Honestly, it's like people saying trump is an idiot. The depth and complexion of the strategy these coaches/people at the top go through is so insane, I honestly think the average viewer's POV is close to worthless. There are obviously pros and cons to decisions. Don't you think the Chinese badminton association have already thought about this far more than you have before deciding? Why aren't the average viewers producing world class players? Because their strategy in teaching is far higher than the average viewers. I flip when 90% of viewers think they know everything about building a bridge and start complaining at the city when they don't have the slightest clue about transportation engineering and/or business experience.

Yes other countries have gotten better, and China has decided to place more resources in education and less in sports. Falling trends are normal.

China isn't as dominant as before, but there's still no doubt they are still by far the best nation. Chill with the alarm bells here.