Li Ning Rackets Fan Club :)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tckang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Lol, don't compare 3U and 4U. 4U ZF2 is a feather if you use HH racquets often. The original N9 was an easy to use racquet, so the 2nd gen shouldn't be too difficult.

2. Smashme

Smashme New Member

I'm new to Li Ning and I don't know if N9ii has a 3U/4U system. I asked the shopkeeper and I was told N9ii only comes with one model. I compared with VTZF2 4U because I don't think I can handle VTZF2 3U for doubles. Does it mean N9ii is 3U? Is there a 4U version?

3. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

All li nings are 3U except the N7ii-light and few other exceptions. Balance is what makes a racquet fast/ slow, not overall weight. Many doubles pros use 3U racquets, the entire Chinese national team, Hendra/Ahsan before they retired and so on. None of these players were slow at all.

4. FahadM

FahadM Regular Member

Technichian
    Any comparison between n99 and n9(2)? Is n9(2) head heavier than n99 and stiffer than n99? Which is more aerodynamic and good for doubles?

5. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

Hendra uses n9ii actually atm and he was far from using vtzf2 when he was with yonex.

Just buy it and give us a review ;)

Saru and FahadM like this.
  6. FahadM

FahadM Regular Member

Technichian
    Lol. I already have n99 and I like it. Need another one, so wondering if n9 (2) would beat it in terms of speed, manuaverity, power.

7. FahadM

FahadM Regular Member

Technichian
    U mean far better from using zf2?

8. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
  9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's not correct, a 5g weight difference is comparable to a 15mm BP difference, so you can see how balance and weight have pretty much the same impact. A very head heavy racket can feel balanced in a lighter weight, and a head light balanced racket can still be balanced or heavy if the overall weight is high (remember rackets like the 2U Nanospeeds? Or the Isometric slim uswd by Gade?).

A 4U ZF2 should be comparable to a slightly head heavy 3U racket, something like a D10 or Arc11 maybe.
    I have my doubts that the stiffness is the same for the N9ii though, it's very likely that it is softer. I'll try and get the N9ii and N7ii over for testing when they arrive on European shore.

10. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

I was answering the previous post comparing n9ii and vtzf2. As for n9ii and n99, on paper n9ii would be more flexible, a tad faster thanks to its frame and with a bigger sweet spot.

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Woah! That new N99 paintjob looks awesome; very reminiscent of the N90II. Not too fond of the N9II paintjob, though.

12. decoy

decoy Regular Member

That n9ii looks like it's covered in glow in the dark stickers

13. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

Don't know why! The Black n9II is the most sexy racket ever. :(

decoy likes this.
  14. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Interesting read. How did you come up with the 5g = 15mm formula? :)

15. The Baddy Champion

The Baddy Champion Regular Member

Hi I have a 4U voltric Z Force 2 i can handle it with ease but the only problem is that it has a small sweetspot
    So I am thinking about n90 since it has a normal sized head
    P.S i wud say I m a intermediate player who is under training who plays singles and smashes sometimes

UnlimitedPower likes this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Difficult explanation in English for me, but I'll try and hustle through it :D
    The moment of an object around an axis is equal to the product of a) its mass and b) the distance between the fulcrum and the object's center of mass. Seeing as this is a product, reducing either factor to 95% while keeping the other one the same achieves the same outcome.
    A difference reduction from 87,5 to 82,5g equals about 5,7%, which is roughly equivalent to an increase from 300 to 318/reduction from 318 to 300, actually, not 315 to 300.

Moment of inertia is what determines how 'heavy' a moving object feels when you accelerate/decelerate it. Calculating that for a realistic movement is already quite complex though, but generally, you can assume that a racket that feels exactly the same in a stationary state as your comparison, but is lighter with a higher BP, will have a slightly higher moment of inertia.
    While I didn't go into kinematics deep enough to know for sure, I assume that translates directly into an elastic off-center hit (i.e. 'what you feel is what you get', heavier feeling = pushes through the shuttle more).
    Aaaaaaaanyway. It's in the single percent digits - a racket that has .95 your comparison's mass and 1.05 it's BP (so basically, mass shaved off the handle/shaft) will have a ~4.7% higher moment of inertia around its base, and thus feel heavier. Realistically, that number is lower though, as your hand will have its fulcrum somewhere on the handle, which reduces the impact of the heightened BP.
    It should be noted that different people are not equally sensitive to this - I've heard rumours LD will notice a difference of less than a gram of weight, which I tend to believe as I've seen him be very selective about choosing a new racket after his strings broke more than once, and I've noticed weight differences of less than 2g quite clearly in the past. Others buy 4 rackets of the same model and say 'They're all the same!' while they have a 4g difference between the lightest and heaviest one (Hello, Bravesword quality control!).

So, in conclusion, if you hold a racket in your hand at the shop without swinging it, a 87,5g/300mm racket will feel pretty much the same as a 82,5g/318mm one.
    Hence a 4u ZF2 (I'll assume 315-320mm/83-84g) should feel just a tad heavier than a 3U Arc11 (which I'll put somewhere in the 295-300mm region at a 87-88g weight). It can and will feel different when hitting the shuttle, but that is influenced by a large number of factors and cannot be adequately simulated mathematically, I believe.

#3416 j4ckie, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    visor likes this.
  17. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Well, in my experience the overall weight only matters if the player is weak. However, balance point affects every aspect of play. Weight is much less important in my opinion except at the extremes.

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Yeah this works provided the two rackets are the same. Can't do like a zf2 and ns9900 on this formula.

Also 1g of weight is pretty noticeable, when I had two n90s one was 78 and the other 79g completely bare and I could tell them apart at a feel.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

It still works for any racket as far as the math is concerned. There's going to be slight differences due to air resistance, but mechanically speaking, two rackets with identical specs will behave pretty much the same.
    Concerning the 1g - are you sure everything else was the same? BP, string...?

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No, the mechanical concept applies to all players, even those who are 'weak'. You can't just 'feel' that a mechanical/mathematical concept doesn't apply to you, or that only weak people are concerned,..... :D
    A possible explanation for your experience might be a weight difference between 3U and 4U rackets that's significantly less than 5g, which would mean a much smaller virtual BP change as well. Also, as I mentioned, weight (or mass) factors into the moment of inertia normally, while the BP (or a number close to it) factors in squared, so its influence on acceleration/deceleration is indeed bigger, it appears. I'd like to revisit that particular topic and refresh my knowledge, but won't have the time for another week or so.

Best counter-example for the 'weight doesn't matter, only BP' theory is the Arcsaber Flashboost, which did have a pretty high BP, but very low weight....and man, was that a fly-swatter. Couldn't smash decently with that to save my life. It was incredibly fast in all aspects of the game though, despite the high BP.